NGD This Gets Delivered Today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C Sotolongo, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Good Luck!!
    da6ade93c4926a593d98942c816e5e15.jpg

The GAS is a powerful disease....
    I have fought it back and sealed it in a cave (as of yesterday). It is safe for now.
    But for how long???

Great grab, I was watching that one as well (if it was Ebay).
    Enjoy!

Niko Souza and PsychoCid like this.
  2. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

welcome welcome, I to need a p90 axe again so yours starts the gas again! On the subject of mini pots I feel like if they work then why change em, you wont notice one bit of tone difference IMHO.

tobijohn and nomadh like this.
  3. C Sotolongo

C Sotolongo Active Member

Yes, from eBay. Came with free shipping and a cool case too! I think my GAS is satisfied for a while but would love a SG or Valkyrie! Oh shit the wife's gonna be upset..

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I almost bought a used PRS soapbar II earlier this week, but I had a nightmare similar to this:

[​IMG]

My wifes not that old and a bit taller though......

5. JustinD

JustinD Well-Known Member

The sx callisto jr was my first Rondo guitar. I planned on upgrading the electronics , and hardware but all I ever ended up doing was installing a new switchcraft jack since the stock one broke.

6. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

And I was set to replace the pups. In fact they were already bought but I never installed them. It was funny because the first time I played it it played well but I thought it sounded nondescript. Later after playing it I liked the tone more and more but it was a little out of tune. IT was the nut being too high. I popped it out sanded the bottom a few times and not it plays perfect. And the pots on mine are perfect too.
    Congrats

7. C Sotolongo

Ya that was my experience with SX too. I replaced the nut on a previous SX Tele but this one plays perfectly and stays in tune wonderfully. It is possible the previous owner had it setup professionally. I don't like the mini pots but they do work fine, so i'll leave them in until they fail. The switch though will not stay in the bridge position securely so that needs to be replaced but that's easy.

8. Texas Slim

Texas Slim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i like the sound of the stock pickups, particularly when played through a Fender BDRI's clean channel, just on the edge of breakup. No drive or dirt pedals necessary.

9. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had one of those and I liked it. I scotchbrighted the body and neck, simplified the wiring to be pickup switch feeding one volume and one tone control (50's wiring), and took off the pickguard (it was warped). I thought it was heavy. I got a new switch and new jack, the pickups were pretty good. It could have used some tuners, but I traded it even for a Liquid short scale via craiglsist.

I scotchbrighted about seven layers of clearcoat off that guitar. It improved the feel, the tone, the weight, and the looks. A lot of work, though. I could have taken off a couple of more coats of clear before I got to the veneer. I stopped short, I figured I might damage the veneer if I went too deep.

10. C Sotolongo

Wow, your opinion is completely opposite of mine. My guitar is almost as light as my Tele thin line and easily half the weight of my Agile. Acoustic resonance on mine is spectacular as is. I can't imagine removing layers of the clear coat would improve it much. And did the re wire improve anything? I might replace the pots because they are so cheap at some point. I found out that I'm the third owner so some improvements are likely to have been done, it must of had a pro setup and maybe a fret level and nut replacement because it plays so good it's hard to believe it came this way from China.
    Thank you for your suggestions!

doc-knapp likes this.
  11. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

You know, the thing that I just don't understand is that the guitar is a steal at it's low price, especially if you can get it used on the cheap. With just a little work and replacing the crappy pots and nut, it transforms into very light, easy playing guitar with a beautiful P90 sound. But why is it Kurt would rather sell a flawed dirt cheap guitar when if he put better pots and a good nut, he could sell it for $50 more, and be selling so much more of them. It kind of seems to make sense that probably more people would rather buy a good guitar for $200 that needs no or little work and gets great value reviews vs. people who'd buy a $150 guitar that is almost always a project guitar.

12. Zipslack

Zipslack Well-Known Member

I just wish he would offer these again...even with plastic nuts!

13. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congrats man that's a gorgeous axe!

14. C Sotolongo

Thank you! Right now it's my #1

Niko Souza likes this.