This Is What A House Full Of Guitars Looks Like

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by chimi42, Jun 23, 2019.

1. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

So here’s a fun story. Saw an ad on the local craigslist while visiting my mom this weekend. Ad had a bunch of crappy lp clones from the 70s in the pics set against the background of a ton of guitar cases...

Went out to poke around today. This was a scene from the show hoarders. Seems the owner who passed used to own a few guitar stores. There were guitars and cases everywhere (full house, full garage, and even a car full) My hope after seeing the pics was to score a sweet 70s Ibanez, Yamaha, or something else cool from the glory days of 70s guitars.

Most guitars were classical or entry level Korean guitars from the 70s-80s. A lot of Lyle and d’agostino guitars (including a few wood paneling looking Flying Vs).

I sadly didn’t purchase anything but I’ve now checked off getting to look through a house full of guitars off my bucket list.

1C5814DF-9067-4E6C-9D43-8D2918C5C09B.jpeg CC2FD513-3136-496A-BC18-7CE2627E81EA.jpeg F0BB2AAE-EEE9-4355-9A8D-BB64E5BE84FC.jpeg

2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I can see mold and rot on a lot of those chipboard cases.....I would bet that mould mites are inside the acoustics...I had that issue here in Bangkok...learned my lesson about keeping acoustic in a non climate controlled area.

PsychoCid likes this.
  3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Cue AGF member comparison joke LOL!
    but really that is a bit saddening, mental illness is no laughing matter. believe me I know!

4. chimi42

Cue pictures of TobiJohn's house in 3...2...

5. chimi42

yeah, unfortunately most of the guitars were in pretty poor condition. Apparently there were a few good condition gibsons that went the day the ad was posted (yesterday). If they were from the same era as the rest of the guitars someone may have gotten a deal.

tonray likes this.
  6. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Great place to grab some old acoustics to try your hand at neck resets, etc.

That is insane.

7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

and bring a mould mite infestation into your home....I had to move...and throw away almost everything made from wood or natural fabric. Don't do it !

8. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s fucking crazy. I admit I would have a hard time walking out with out something. But I would probably look past the scads of semi useful acoustics and dig for some real gold. How much for the lamp and the Kurt Cobain flannel shirt in photo 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonray likes this.
  9. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

Well there's a cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing it!

10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Long stories short, I came across four very similar situations back in the 80s, one in the middle of nowhere near Brownsville. TN, another in downtown Munford, TN, one out in the country somewhere up near Gallatin, TN, and the other over in Midtown, TN. Let me just say, none of these places are garden spots of rural Tennessee.

I had the guitar bug BAD, and I worked hard to track these folks down whenever I caught wind of them. And this was pre-internet, and the scrounge hounds and pickers had not made their way into this vast virgin territory yet.

I've been told I have an honest face, and I must, because I was invited into these temples of doom right away with full access. But I was never able to buy much in these types of circumstances.

These peculiar folks, and I mean peculiar, had so many guitar cases stacked several layers deep in real small spaces, that you really had no way to look any of it over without first moving a lot of stuff out into their yards so you could maneuver around and inspect anything.

At one house, I recall crawling up under a rotting grand piano across a squishy shag carpet to retrieve a couple of big brown Lifton cases. I ferreted out what turned out to be a couple of old warped Gretsches. The knees of my khakis looked like I had crawled through a mud puddle. Hell, I couldn't buy a thing from the weird old dude, and he probably had about 3oo hundred guitars, or at least, guitar cases. I had to get the hell out of there.

When I left all of these places, I stank, and I was usually two or three hours from home. And man, I squirmed and itched every mile until I could get back to my house, throw my clothes off in the basement, and take a long hot shower.

Just thinking back on all this now makes my skin crawl.

golem, CyFan4036, fullonshred and 6 others like this.
  11. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

fucking insane

that being said, my mother is a hoarder. and a shopping addict. she has entire rooms of her house filled with shoes, shoe boxes, clothes, purses, etc. Her entire house would be filled like that if my siblings and i didnt periodically take many carloads of stuff to the Salvation Army when she has been in the hospital. Hoarding is extremely sad.

fullonshred, tonray and ID10T like this.
  12. OpenG

OpenG Member

That is just crazy. But then again the guy had some guitar stores and he had to keep inventory somewhere.

tonray likes this.
  13. wanker

wanker Well-Known Member

Yikes. I can smell the cat urine from those photos.

tonray likes this.
  14. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Geez, and I feel bad about having as many guitars as I do....

When my folks passed, there was a LOT of stuff to get rid of. They both went through WWII and the depression, so the whole "well, that could be useful someday..." mentality was hard won. My dad would go to the dump and get old TVs and fix them to.....keep them in the garage. I took 42 of them back to where they came.

Moving late last year has taught me that I have waaaay too much stuff. Our garage is half full of boxes we haven't even looked at after 6 months, and we don't miss the stuff (save for the missing box of pots and pans -- like, seriously, how did we misplace that?). I suspect a wave of donation/big garage sale is going to happen this summer.

peskypesky likes this.
  15. peskypesky

yup, my mom grew up poor in working-class Chicago, and her parents lived through the Depression....so she uses that as one excuse for her hoarding. But my grandmother herself did not hoard.

And yes, moving is a fantastic way to discover how much shit you've accumulated and don't need.

I've moved a couple of times in the past 5 years, and each time got rid of a lot of stuff....and STILL have too much.

Right now, I'm at my brother's house in El Paso, helping him with his move to a new city. His garage has quite a large number of boxes filled with stuff from when he moved to El Paso...10 years ago. He never even unpacked them. And now he wants to take them with him. I'm like "dude, if you lived for 10 years without that stuff, you don't need it. take it all to Salvation Army or some other charity".

16. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

That is sad. My brother-in-law and his wife are both hoarders. The are in their late 70's, own 3 houses and a vacation mobile home (trailer) - all filled. One house from floor to ceiling.

It is definitely an illness.

17. peskypesky

Yes.

My brother is a psychiatrist and says there's really no treatment for it.

For my mother, it is life-threatening. She's elderly, and one fall could cause a broken hip, which often leads to death in older people. Her house is full of tripping hazards. I'm completely healthy and agile (no pun intended) and have a hard time walking through her house.

andrewsrea likes this.
  18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

You think hoarding stuff is bad? Consider the problem of hoarding animals. Stuff doesn't eat, crap, breed, breathe, need affection or die. I'm really worried about a few people in my family.

fullonshred likes this.
  19. peskypesky

hoarding animals is worse. no argument from me on that.

nomadh likes this.
  20. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I saw one episode of Hoarders where an ex-cop had a big hoarding problem that included several loaded firearms. It's bad enough when you have so much stuff that you can't move about your housem, but when a pile of stuff falls over and starts shooting at you....

For my folks it was the pack-rat mentality of the age. My cousin's father in law passed,a nd when her husband flew out to Nova Scotia to help dispose of things, they needed a dumpster. When he returned, he started a huge purge, saying "no way am I leaving you to deal with that when I go. No way."

We are having issues finding the time to deal witht he stuff, but plan on taking a day off next week to get a bunch done. Or at least sorted to "keep" and "hell, I don't know" piles.