Thoughts On Those Cheap Aliexpress Strat Necks

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by AllenR, Jan 27, 2018.

1. AllenR

AllenR Well-Known Member

I have a project and need a neck. Anybody ever get one? Reviews are mostly good.

Thanks!

NoStratsPlease likes this.
  2. NoStratsPlease

NoStratsPlease Well-Known Member

I've gotten 5 of them within the last 6 months or so. They're pretty damn good, honestly. The neck itself will likely have some minor rough spots, but a light 5 minute sanding will have it very smooth. The necks usually come with (atleast) a decent flame.

I do recommend rolling the edges of the fretboard (just use the basic screw driver method.) I haven't encountered any fret sprout, but 1 of the 5 necks I've received is going to need a leveling. If you have a strat that needs an inexpensive neck, and you can do some very basic care, they're an incredible value.

PsychoCid and AllenR like this.
  3. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Linky?

4. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

^ This. Please.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lamf77 and AllenR like this.
  6. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine is orange. Can you tell from the first pic? KMISE was the brand from Ali express. There is some flame. Squier full size body, was loose in the neck pocket. I haven't really played it yet as i have to finish the setup and intonate. It does has some sharp ends. But maybe i am complaining too much for $29.99

20180127_144613.jpg
    20180127_144631.jpg
    20180127_144701.jpg

Attached Files:

7. NoStratsPlease

NoStratsPlease Well-Known Member

OH.....I should add that the 5 that I've bought were all unfinished and all came as a part of the $50 shipped basswood strat and Ibanez styles from Ebay. They're the same guitars sold as Ammoon, Glarry, ISIN, plus multiple other names, but same manufacturer. They're always around $50.00-$60.00 SHIPPED (though price fluctuates from week to week---sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower) and available in different body styles, headstock styles, fretboard material, colors, etc...for example:

Ibanez style at $57.99 SHIPPED: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-170-St...hash=item5d792f5753:m:mbfun698m515ZNx9pCPax6w

Strat style at $57.99 SHIPPED: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glarry-ST3...hash=item48a2b4149e:m:m73YZKnZjXWvq6zOvFxnPNA

Lol....I actually just bought this while I was looking at current prices: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112700008887

8. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

@Mossman note the basic screwdriver method!

Mossman and NoStratsPlease like this.
  9. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

10. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

My Kmise neck is too orange too, although I've seen much worse. Actually, it is an excellent neck if you like small frets. I don't especially and it was advertised as having medium jumbos. So I set it up differently from my other axes - super low action (not gonna do a whole lot of bending on those with them so low) and just great for Curtis Mayfield and some country stuff. My tune The Guns Of Rio Mesa was done mostly with it. It was 39 bucks delivered from China. Amazon.

11. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

The headstock on your strat looks pretty good. Are they typically that close of a Fender match?

12. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

I got a KMISE for my Tele I had to sand the heel down it was a little too high.

13. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

My KMise necks were bought through Amazon and eBay. Both were unfinished, but one had a painted headstock.

The frets were sharp on the maple fretboard one, but fretboard edge on maple was rolled, so it was very easy to just hit me with a mill file to knock off the sharps and smooth it up since I didn't have to worry about refinishing.

2018-01-07 17.58.50.jpg

The rosewood fretboard was not as badly affected by sharp frets FWIW. The fretboard also has a rolled edge so I just hit it with the good old mill file, and they were good to go.

The overall quality was consistent on both, equal or better than a Mighty Mite.

Going to add a Tadeo taper to the tele neck and throw some Formby's tung oil finish on it. It is a little off vs. my CV, but it isn't terrible.

I ended up using some right handed Squier VM or Standard tuners on it. I actually think they look a bit better with the knobs closer to the body than the end of the headstock and it makes it clockwise to increase pitch which is nice.

Photo Feb 12, 5 51 50 PM.jpg

Lamf77 likes this.
  14. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting, it didn't feel strange turning the tuners in the opposite direction?

15. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

My Tele neck is sort of close, that's the best I can come up with. From what I've seen, they do better with the Strat heads.

Tiga likes this.
  16. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

not really, if anything being lefty loosey righty tighty is kinda nice.

tobijohn likes this.