TVvoodoo's Insanitarium (slight return)

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by tvvoodoo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Tvvoodoo's Insanitarium is my MOD HQ. Before I begin, I just wanted to include/organize a few links to some of my other select scattered archived project threads from my checkered past, my "slight return," if I may... (sorry if pics may be incomplete, busted links etc...).

My first projects included the rescue of free junk items from a recycle depot, to transform them into useful others things gearheads can appreciate - such as a looper control for digitech RP-1000 and rehouse and re-speaker a vox pathfinder 15R into a 12" Tweedfinder tonemachine
    JUNK COLLECTOR
    5a266056088cf13836ecd3e4b108bce4.jpg
    and TWEEDFINDER
    d417cbc590b578cc8f4742ea7f278289.jpg

Where I nab a Pink sparkle 3/4 Rondo Bass b-stock, and cosmetically Punk it into the BYE-BYE KITTY
    8392b3bf120966094db5da9ee9740542.jpg

Then, after discussion on the benefits of raw moose bone erupts, I put the call out to local hunters, LOL "MOOSE CALL" and soon discover the joys of scratching on my own nuts :love:
    a7ffda3758aa6ef80dfe5ed4df223787.jpg
    and begin making such things as a compensated acoustic saddle from said material, from scratch: Moosenuts

5933338d8d140a36fcead792d699fdfc.jpg
    Where I take a magnificently inexpensive Bridgecraft strat and verily polish it into the
    23c77c1fbc9c98b9c61a0547cc1f02b4.jpg
    Golden TURD-O-CASTER

Plus, my "BURNING" need.. (get it?) to re-RE-finish the former rickinPA "none more black" STL ash tele into the udderly MOOOO-verlous Wrangler RANGECASTER,
    3d8f126d221ac62b05b013a3353d610a.jpg
    is also continued somewheres in this thread.

So all that's your (slight return) part - My apologies, some photo links appear broken, don't know why, I didn't delete nuthin :puzzled: But, the past is past - I do glance in the rear view mirror once in awhile, but we cannot drive forward unless we look to the fore.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So what might I find here in TVvoodoos Insanitarium you ask? Well, we have an attempt at making a $45 First Act guitar into something worth slinging, including real swarovski crystal fretboard inlays... Oh the trials! Oh the tribulation! Too ambitious for a junior modder? For sure. Did we fight the good fight? I think so, and we even created then killed off an evil rhinestone snowman in the process!

8b57951d9f988f39898d05c40024f10f.jpg

In here you'll also see how I made my own guitar hanger for a my pathetically small man cave to display my growing guitar horde, (or is that hoard?) maximizing space, cost savings AND offering cool display factor.
    59bcb600461348748eaf64baf4384318.jpg

We have an amp project where I take a Vox pathfinder, mate it with another vox pathfinder box, to create a "Stack-Finder" sportin' a 2 vintage 10" CTS speakers...
    c7092e023c249654f493ee6860841db3.jpg

We show the beginnings of my strap-making, and some featured custom Strap ATTACK! straps, which was eventually re-named to Well-Hung Guitar Straps & Accessories
    45fe36d788b5a8ceb8a8610de0deb261.jpg

Who here hasn't fantasized about making a guitar that totally lights up?
    [​IMG]
    I thought so. Playable lamp, or lightable guitar, whatever turns yer crank, mang.

We also have a neat project where I make a crate hybrid combo 70 amp into something really different, including a built-in spatula, and handy beer holder... OH YES I DID!
    32d2c09b0cc6e1a5d11dd124e323eb62.jpg

Soon enough, my guitar refin journey continues with my 1st ever fabric finish, a paisley telecaster - the Voodoo Gruvcaster (with umlauts on the u) where i cut a few corners, but it still seems to take effin forever! However, when all the screaming and cussin' is over, you'll learn how to, more importantly how NOT to make yourn.
    2df9c61bc8aac6ec33ad7f5fe86f3928.jpg

Then, somewhat related to the above, we move on towards completion of... refinish No. 5... The PSYCHOCASTER!
    d73e86102941c8537fa30cb5971981a8.jpg

There will be a tutorial on how to make your own cool mexi-mojo strap out of a thrift store purse, no sewing required to preserve your precious and diminishing manhood

32a94a768e40bc162a0e15b5d1217dce.jpg

You will also get to see the manic R & D that went into my development and subsequent manufacture of the Well-Hung PRO-Pin, my take on larger guitar strap pin retrofit. 42dbf2c7804bc7348657be9563c98c60.jpg

Deeper in, you'll find a detailed account of me getting my 15-Year-Old Freak WAY ON, by attempting to carve a SKULL (and more) right into the front face of my Yamastrat, modding it into the Death Strat, Grimcaster, Reapercaster, or Creepy-caster-somethingermajingy.

9aa99a1de6bfae2e28bb65a81b7ee94c.jpg

You will also see the Bad-asslement of a guitar begging for some visual help, with... blood diamonds?

[​IMG]

As bonus, you'll see even more intermittent gross-out pics of workshop injuries, suggestive photos of fruit, mod ideas I never act on, the easy way to make home pickled eggs, scary parasitic worms, TVvoodoo Mixology, and a little home cooking, fish posing, plus several other kinds of `madnesses.`

The comedy, the drama, the embarrassment, the pain, shame and blame - it`s all right here, with a victory or two as well.

Comments welcome... What are you waiting for? C'mon in! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    stevebway, Razzle, PsychoCid and 6 others like this.
  2. jp1969

jp1969 New Member

that gold strat is sooo sexy!:bowdown::hitit:

3. harpmaster

harpmaster Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your pickins:grin:

4. TWANG

TWANG Well-Known Member

excellent I want to do all of that.
    !

5. travisrdc

travisrdc Well-Known Member

This gon' be good.

6. tvvoodoo

I guess the title promises pix, and I didn't want to disappoint... we all love them pix, don't we?

Here's a shot of some of the tools I been using to carve my own nuts out of moose bone, including the old hacksaw I ended up getting with a bunch of other stuff when I bought a whole pallet of tools at an auction sale this fall. The saw in particular is now relegated to Nut finishing duties, after I wired up some old strings to make a pretty crude slot finisher. It works, at least for the bottom EAD strings.

1553bf33698bfcf898bcdb71e2f4bd80.jpg
    I posted it to TDPRI, and some guy noted wisely that you probably should not use such a tool on your rare and valuable Martin. I have no such guitar :grin:
    Anyone who does such work knows you are better off to do most but even the slightest adjustments while the nut is off the neck, in a padded vice.

And, what they hell am i up to now, with this?

fdfceded0720acb8fffb59502f9ee1c6.jpg

It's an old marshal footpedal I won for $4 on ebay, nothing wrong with it except that the plug end was ripped off. I sanded it down to bare metal, laid on three coats of tinted shellac. Hard to see from this pic, but it has a cool brushed metal effect that shimmers when you turn it in the light. Behind that, you see the other part of the housing that is getting my po' boys' tweed treatment to match my tweedfinder... It's now waiting for lettering before clearcoating.

PsychoCid likes this.
  7. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Very cool. The most I've done is set up a disassembled bolt-on floating floyd trem guitar with a spoon. Would love to play with pickups...

Also, this is the first thread to make me miss 2.0. Suddenly, the gap between the forum windows and the edge of the browser window became apparent; there's no need to see that background and feel cramped.

8. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Well-Known Member

Oh, carp...

So, is the Rangecaster finished or still on the dormant-projects list until it gets colder up there?

9. tvvoodoo

the Rangecaster is next on the bench. It's branding time, and I have a fire going in the wood stove every day now. Truth to tell, I got such nice finish on the body with tru oil, I'm terrified of fracking it up with 30 seconds of stupid. I really want to brand it, I don't think it will be complete until it is, but I wonder if the finish will just bubble a little or maybe LOT around the edges, or catch fire and go all crazy and look all crap. Then there is the other possibility that sometimes intense heat on a body will split the glue joins.

I've come up with all kinds of scenarios to guard against too much burn.
    1. put a damp paper towel on the body before I brand - that might be bad, too.
    or maybe use a layer of foil instead.
    2. keep a spray bottle handy, and try to spray down
    3 just put the iron on the body cold, and heat it with a torch for better control.

I'm putting this off out of plain fear of moving forward, and that's not like me.
    I'm leaning towards option three, but that's the fraidy-cats' way out for sure.

cowboys ain't cowards, so I should just go for it but I don't want to hate myself for wrecking it. A bad paint job you can sand down. a split or a burn gone wrong would make it more difficult. cowboys ain't dumb either :grin:

Maybe someone out there in forum-land has an answer?:puzzled:

10. tvvoodoo

This be a bump, with a request for any possible ideas / advice on branding an ash guitar body, with red-hot irons in regards to my main concerns directly above this post. I'm thinking maybe I should have branded, then refin'd, but that might be lame in the authenticity dept IMO.

No idea too clever, too stupid, just throw em in.

11. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Try it on a scrap piece first!

That body & finish is beautiful.:bowdown:

Good Luck.:eek:hnoes:

12. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

Got to dig project threads.

13. fooman1994

fooman1994 New Member

I think this is your only reasonable and safe choice. Get some scraps, glue them together, and brand away!

Regardless of what you choose to do, I hope the final product is to your satisfaction!

14. tvvoodoo

Well fellas, had a bit of time off today, and took upon myself to follow the GOOD ADVICE of the AGF members and do a couple of test brands on a 2x4, which over the past few days I laid down probably a dozen good coats of shellac.

Now I know shellac ain't nearly the same as tru-oil, but I figured it would at least give me a good idea of what might happen - and I think I learned a lot about how the range-caster might react.

on with the pics! Here's one of my irons all nestled cozy in the coals of the wood stove, burnin' mostly poplar, or aspen if you will,
    this time of year. Switch over to pine when it gets real cold. Only about -15 C today.
    f8d77351290d241119abefeda2916ece.jpg

Took a good six minutes to get it up to speed on the heatness... like so... Think she's hot enough? Oh yeah

58d6bc2330492bbc6c51f6096d384798.jpg

Actually, I eventually found, the red hot scenario is WAY too much.
    Watch what happens when you put the red hot one even near the finish... it bubbles up like crazy, when it even gets a 1/2 inch away.
    You can see that effect slightly beside (in the foreground) of this smokin' shot.

987fb45268287879d8b9239075a49a2c.jpg

So after a few trials, plain clean on, through a damp paper towel, with tinfoil, with a sprayer, and with tinfoil and a paper towel layer,
    you have, a.. um... a test pattern.

db75f0c533e5825f398544f44cd06de6.jpg

What i learned is that paper towel or tinfoil is the absolute wrong way to go. It totally ruins the finish. I figger it traps the heat inside underneath, and totally buggers up your job, it boils up and peels off after you pull the towel or tinfoil off. No Good. The sprayer one, just created a whole lot of steam, and cooled the iron down too fast, and it was hard to see what a guy is doing, with no better results. I even tried a warmed up iron, and used a torch to heat the iron while it was on the wood, but that ended up bubbling things up the worst over all, due to the proximity of the flame tip.
    If you want to try this, I found a red hot iron, is waaaay to intense and a sure road to ruin.

What I really got from this experiment though, is I totally messed up. I should have done the branding before I even begun to think of putting the tru-oil on. so... live and learn - Nicest brand of the lot was right on the raw stud as shown below. Go figure.

8214e5db279cc447cb8d9508f865c46b.jpg

But, as I've said before I don't really mind much if this one comes out looking a little rustic... like the no-gimmicky attempt at slightly lower heat below, medium hot, straight into and through the finish.

11faadcb847c2237d3250e1841bf0d90.jpg
    ce6bddc4e1e87d58fe32953d40791f41.jpg

You get a fair amount of bubble up, around the brand, even with medium heat, but I imagine some of that could be wet-sanded down before a final coat or three of tru-oil. I don't think I'm too worried any more about glue joins cracking... but we shall see.

I'm still wondering if I should just make a hair-on cowhide pickguard and brand that instead... But if you've ever experienced branding time on a ranch, you'll know it stinks something awful :ticking: and I don't want any guitar that ends up stinkin up my whole house.

I shore do have me some thinking to do. Any opinions? Let's have 'em.

15. tvvoodoo

Hmmmm not one comment on the threat of red hot irons on a guitar.
    Perchance you might think I might be nuts to try that on this?

44bbabc9bdc8bb1cb60e7378b2c6e6b3.jpg

Maybe I should just bolt 'er up, solder it all back together and play it first. I'm really torn here. :eek:hnoes:
    I think i'm at that point where a fella decides to do his very first relic job on a decent-looking fiddle, but first needs a few whiskies for a little courage.
    Or maybe that sequence happens more often the other way around.

Last little while I've been experimenting with logos. My signmaking ex-bro-in-law (I'd just let him go, if he was a dick-head), made some stuff for me, but
    turns out the cutter couldn't cut stuff quite as fine as I wanted. The Wrangler logo itself came out pretty good, but the other stuff is a wash. this included
    the lettering for my amp, too. no good to use.

So now I got me some of that waterslide stuff, and have been reading up, and learning about how to do that. Here's a pic of a reverse-printed logo, with
    only the outline, then filling in the lettering with silver enamel ink. I have like eight or nine logos printed on one sheet, plus all my amp lettering too.

bebad917f09bd6d3dd66e100e243a560.jpg

Some say you can use waterslide in reverse, if you put a little weldbond or similar clear dry glue in the water, then just do your clear coats right over it.
    Others transfer a non-reverse version over to wax paper, or whatever, paint it, then transfer it back to lay it on the headstock.
    I'm going to give 'em all a try - my first attempts at "watersliding" :umm:, so I expect there will be many a muck-up

16. Benny

Benny New Member

I say do a test run with the tru-oil, it may act differently or it may not. But if you do brand the guitar off of your test run on shellac and the tru-oil responds the opposite way, I'm sure you would be less than happy. I highly doubt it, but it could happen.

You could brand the cowhide(?) , but you said it stinks? Can you air it out or mask it with another scent? Cologne?

:thumbup:

17. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

I've gotta be honest Brad, you've got that thing looking so nice right now that in my opinion, it would be a shame to burn the crap out of it. I think the finish looks awesome and you should just button her up and start playing that bad girl!

18. sloanfs

sloanfs Well-Known Member

I agree, I hate to see you start over but have you considered sanding off the oil and then branding?

[hr]
    BTW I'm really digging this thread!
    And am watching closely on the waterslide stuff.

19. tvvoodoo

It's a painful situation. "Better safe than sorry" v.s. "no guts, no glory"

I'm not against starting again, but that would delay this project for another year, due to my workshop and weather situation.
    It's not like I have no other guitars to play, or other mods planned on other things, but i've had this thing for nearly 8 months and have yet to squeeze one note out of it.

I'm thinking the branded cowhide on the scratch plate is probably the better way to go to start, see how that looks (and smells) first. If I bury it in baking soda
    for a week or so, might kill the stench. But then I'd sourced this really cool western stamped tolex for the scratchguard which I wanted to incorporate as a main feature, in my head it looked so good. I guess I'll still have it for backup.

If the cowhide guard makes it sing visually, then I'd still be very pleased with the outcome. No big to change directions mid-mod, it's practical arts/creative process in action.

as they used to say on A-team: "I love it when... um.. plan B... comes together"

20. Forecaster

Forecaster Active Member

BRAND THE HEADSTOCK INSTEAD.