TVvoodoo's Insanitarium (slight return)

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by tvvoodoo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

continued work on the mountain strap... all the tappetytap toolings are done, now I am dyeing.

The original Allman Mountain strap was red and black mostly - it faded over time due to due to poor quality pigments of way back when.
    As it stands now, it is sitting begind glass in some hard rock cafe in Australia I believe, hard to find pics, but as far as I know it faded to almost to a light brown, and dark brown. I read once that it sold for somewhere around $90,000 at Christies Auction, back over ten years ago. Crazy!

As the red on the original faded, it turned orange and yellow through the years, ending up in a tan colour, similar to naked veg tan like you see below. So I kind of aim for red, but I also am trying for a gradient cherryburst effect, some oranges through yellows. Gradient dyeing is not my forte... getting better with each one, learning. For this particular strap, which is going to an Edmonton Guitar store, my aim is end up with a lighter, more yellowy/orange CSB to dark red on the sides.

We start with yella

953f45c9490192f2f921b2637084956a.jpg

c5b9a77ff296472bd2658cbbd906a282.jpg

The I move on the the red starting from the edges then working inwards

c2e53996e4b515a70b4c8ec996639e1c.jpg

a60efbdf2efbfedc29b666ff4a8b43ce.jpg

This looks a little blotchier than I would like to show, but once I get the black fill in, it will make more sense, look better... I hope!

Next I take some red dye, and drip a couple drops of black in it, and go over the very edges one more time with the darker dye.
    Whoops! A bit over-exuberant with the dye here on one of the end bits. Thankfully in the final product, that part is not in show - it folds under. phew!
    my heart would sink if this ended up blotched in the middle of the strap. There are no takesie-backsies on this sort of thing.

3cb5974908b8c8afa3bd6123d9db4e03.jpg

Here is below under harder light from a lamp, magnifying the texture a bit. All that distressed highly textured bit is the next part - it will be filled with black, once this dye dries overnight. This is my third crack at the Mountain strap - still consider myself a novice at all this, but like anything, the more of it you do, you are bound to benefit from the practice.
    Just starting to make a little more sense on the depth, shading tools, and how they work.... which I believe is much of the real art in leather tooling.
    I've been making guitar straps for almost a decade, mostly fabric and already finished leather which are easier to pad out, but I'm trying to develop skills at this as well. Hope to maybe branch off into rifle slings in a couple years a little bit too. Don't know if these sort of carved/tooled veg-tan straps are better or not, but they are a definitely an old school traditional sort of thing. If folks want 'em, it's good to be able to be able to make 'em.

f72d0cc1c5e152df04b59d1a20a04a4a.jpg

Don't forget to check my redbubble... in case you need something weird or a gift maybe
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/tvvoodoo/shop?asc=u

[​IMG]

Edit on the Allman Mountain Guitar strap...

Filled with black, gently antiqued. This one is turning out a bit better than the last one, with the CSB effect.

02f556a1e47d568f07bd479ecfb126b5.jpg

also added a new Mondegreen logo/shirt to my redbubble store
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/tvvoodoo/shop?asc=u

c16b46ed75f4bfd457999eece63427f6.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. tvvoodoo

Cherry Sunburst Groove Well-Hung Allman Mountain Straplica #3 is padded, lined, oiled, treated, completed. Phew!

mountain 3 front full with logo.jpg

Also new to the redbubble shop: https://www.redbubble.com/people/tvvoodoo/shop
    - Every girl's crazy 'bout a shot glass man
    - Slow motion Walter, fire engine guy
    - Sweet dreams are made of cheese
    and a Well-Hung Jazz Odyssey tee daddy-o, sportin' a heavy metal bebop beret 'n cool shades

3. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice

tvvoodoo likes this.

4. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Brad, you made it into the sites Ad Spam!

Screenshot_20190612-211129.png

tvvoodoo and BrianSkeezer like this.
  5. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

NIce stuff Brad. You ever think about making rifle/shotgun slings?

6. tvvoodoo

Yes Ryan, I have thought about it quite a bit actually.... I need to go beyond thought sometime and look more carefully at how slings are attached to swivels. Every hunter should be well-slung! This is something that could do well even locally up here as there are many more game chasing enthusiasts than guitar players.

rmfroyd and Chocol8 like this.
  7. tvvoodoo

Today we completed a customer modification job on a Hendrix/gilmour - turns out after the brother ordered it to size, he realized how awesome being well-hung was, and wanted even a bit more slinging length. Even the extra little bit of adjustment I had built into it for him wasn't enough. No big, carefully tore it apart, replaced some hardware, sewed it all back together. Will be in the mail tomorrow.

This afternoon, I am returning to finish a couple more Bluesbreaker IIs that sold out rather quickly eight or nine months ago. This is an invention of mine, where a customer requested I devise easy / quick access for a glass/bottle or chrome slide, for foolproof and convenient stage use. I thunk and thunked about it for about five days, tested a few things and finally came up with this little metal clip idea. I call it the Well-Hung Slidemaster.

3404b7fd71e51cae9225a3333dcb085c.jpg

Very secure, you can jump up and down, dance the crazy boogaloo and the slide don't come off. Super easy to use just insert your slide hand finger from the side and grab it off, and insert it back from the same side when you're done. With practice I found I could even mount, unmount just by feel, without hardly looking. Very handy. One fella who picked one up noted he wanted to learn/practice his slide playing more, but never remembered to do it because his slide was always buried in some gear drawer along with screwdrivers, knobs, questionable batteries and other parts, sets of strings with a burnt high E, etc. I have a drawer just like it, I imagine many of you do too. He says with his slide always at the ready, it makes getting to the act of practicing that side of his playing MUCH easier. I have only made right-handed versions of this, but easy to make a lefty version.

a687f1b40d9a68cb89c0c7088441a79e.jpg

The Bluesbreaker II strap is a hootenanny adjusting guitar strap, 3" wide, and padded like a cadillac. I called these the Bluesbreaker 'cause the heavy duty grey and black upholstery tweed is reminiscent (to my eye) of the old Marshall bluesbreaker amp grill. Oh, and also included a little pick pocket in the Slidemaster feature as well, holds three, maybe four picks securely, so they don't fall out.

I also include the shown glass slide with this strap (23mm). Look for a new listing on Reverb for the Bluesbreaker II strap in the next couple days.

jam, tomringg and Chocol8 like this.
  8. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I think I might need a Bluesbreaker II for my black Cabronita Tele.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  9. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Rare chance to play tomorrow morning, actually playing bass for a change. Looking for some mojo from the the strap & shirt!

20190615_145346.jpg

zisme, Chocol8, BrianSkeezer and 2 others like this.
  10. tvvoodoo

This is awesome sir... how is the quality? Hope you don't get milkshaked!

11. Chocol8

Hmm after browsing Reverb I think I might have been wrong...

12. tvvoodoo

Why could that be? See something better? Standing Agf brotherly love discount... just ask before pulling trigger

Chocol8 likes this.
  13. Chocol8

Analysis paralysis!

So, here is the problem that needs solving...

34B7DC4E-9731-4464-9DC9-9C4AEF4B37D7.jpeg

Piano black with crisp white pick-guard, the guitar has a simple but tuxedo formal look to it. Yet, as you can see, it has a cheap, narrow, unpadded, non-matching, and probably a bit too short strap on it.

The Bluesbreaker seemed like a cool idea, but I don’t play much slide and when I do this ain’t one of the guitars I am reaching for. But, the Salt and Pepper looked cool. So did Dark Matrix.

Then there is Sum-Yung Guy and Princely Paisley both in black and silver. Would these look good with a black and white guitar?

Something else? I think I need a drink!

tvvoodoo and BrianSkeezer like this.
  14. Chocol8

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  15. tvvoodoo

Sorry just out for early Father's Day dinner out, be in touch later!

Chocol8 likes this.
  16. Chocol8

No hurry, we are still debating what to do for a late dinner here on the East coast.

17. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Great idea! Almost wish I played slide!

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on Redbubble so far. I was thinking about giving it a go this summer with intentions on having something to hopefully contribute to and stay productive during this winter.

18. tvvoodoo

@Chocol8 Suggest the Black Rose or No Prisoners
    Conquest for that tuxedo tele, the latter if you are less secure in your T levels, will totally help balance you out

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...,t_large/v1544307426/nuxftrjanoqkcfh0i0pa.jpg

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...,t_large/v1557958897/s7fppdobpsuejhewyoha.jpg

For LPB strat, suggest stage king

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...,t_large/v1553279112/zrw5k7bmxua3yq9gouu9.jpg

Or perhaps the stingray if it has a maple neck. If you purchase three at a time we can discuss a deal POTUS himself might envy.

Had chicken and waffles for the first time in my life. Still not real sure about that combo, but my belly is full so no complaining!

@Robbone, ain't nobody gettin' rich of redbubble, so far I made almost $3!

Suddenly I have lost all kinds of posting functionality with my phone.... not quoting properly, no ability to post images or video, no text or link options... no name mention notice... is this the new norm? If so it sucks hairy monkey balls

19. Chocol8

I looked at the rose, but I think it is 1-2” shorter than I want. Didn’t love the Conquest or Stage King for my style. The Rebellion in the No Prisoners line I liked for my tobacco Agile but it is already Well-Hung.

I was leaning Prince Paisley. Do you think it won’t go with the white? Hard to tell from pictures so I will defer to your judgment.
    4E3CA0E2-2DC3-490B-BD88-2C3B4971F18F.jpeg

The Sum Yung Guy has more black and I think it might work better? I definitely like that one. And the amped series and...ugh!
    75B75AC3-F345-46F6-92E5-722A6B3E307F.jpeg

20. tvvoodoo

Choco both of those are black and metallic silver. I agree on the dragons, better. I can make a black rose fit you also. Easy, just a few inches more tail strap.