NGD Two-fer Tuesday - Firefly

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by rsckrc91, Jul 23, 2019.

1. rsckrc91

rsckrc91 Well-Known Member

Here's a Gibson LP junior.

front-banner-1600_900 (1).png
    Notice how close the pickup is to the bridge.

2. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

UMMM, the distance of the pup to the bridge affects tone not intonation. The bridge should be the same distance from the 12th fret as the 12th fret is from the nut.

3. rsckrc91

You're right. That's exactly what I said too. I didn't say anything about intonation in my last post. I still couldn't figure out why it still sounded mellower than the other P90 guitars I've got after I raised the pole screws. And then I saw the pickup location. It's too far forward. That's a big gaffe on Firefly's part. They have to know that it's gotta be closer to the bridge than where it is, right?

4. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Unless firefly wanted to locate it there on purpose.

5. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• jr1.jpg
      jr1.jpg
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
  6. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I haven't been on FB for a while, but this is one of 3 posts smack dab on the front of the page from the mods. I guess if you don't like FF you might as well stay home.....lol

2. Negative posts/comments: i am seeing more and more posts about how people are glad they skipped this batch for this reason or that reason, QC is bad, etc. everyone needs to understand this is still a very small operation and these are $140. There are going to be issues here and there but for the most part you are still getting a good deal. This is everyone’s only warning that if it becomes a habit of repeated negative posts they will be deleted and removed from the group.

7. rsckrc91

8. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Maybe it's the angle, but the bridge on the green one looks level with the bottom of the pick guard, but not so on the yellow one above.

Maybe they should have just stuck with what they were doing well?

9. rsckrc91

I'm not on FB, so I really wouldn't know. However, the issues I've posted on this thread regarding both of these guitars shouldn't be seen as negative to FF, per se. These two will probably be going back, but if they fix the obvious problems (bridge posts location, pickup location, high frets, too long of a neck heel), I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. As a matter of fact, I'm really pulling for them to succeed.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  10. rsckrc91

Good eye, GF! I think you're right. If you line up the bridge up to the bottom of the pickguard, that would fix the distance issue. However, what would the scale length be then? Would it be correct? Too short? Is the scale length too long on mine? The only thing I've got to measure anything that long is a tape measure (if I can find it).

11. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Yes it does look like the bridge is further back, look at the location in proportion to the picguard. But it would seem that intonation would be way out of wack if so.

12. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I mentioned that a week or so ago. I don't think there's any rule as to where it needs to be mounted, but it will sound a bit different given it's location.

I think the cutaway throws me off too. Is it shallow looking to anyone else? It makes me think the neck is set in too deep but it's accurate to other single cut Jr's.

...or the rear bout is shorter?

13. rsckrc91

Well, I just shipped both Firefly guitars back. But, with the many issues on both, I couldn't justify keeping them. When (or if) they fix the problems, maybe in 6-8 months I'll take a look at them again.

But they seriously need to look at scale length, proper bridge post hole locations, proper cavity routings in regards to the bridge, way shorter neck heel length, stop tail piece hole locations (on the upcoming LP models), and keep the high frets to a minimum.

Firefly is really close to getting these right. Most of these problems can be fixed at the CAD / CNC pre-production level. Once they get fixed there, everything else should fall into place. The bodies look good, the headstocks look good, the necks are good, the electronics are good, the tuners are good, the finishes are good. They did a lot of things right. Fix the known problems, keep the price low and they will have a massive hit on their hands.
    Scott

Gfurman, uwmcscott and idiotsdelight like this.
  14. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

There's 1 white DC 2 pup model back on Amazon. I seem to recall someone wanted one of those but sold out fast.

15. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Why wouldnt they buy an original Gibson and get out the tape measure.. It's inexcusable to put out sloppy work when you have a perfectly good model

jmilch likes this.
  16. idiotsdelight

Dont need a Gibson for that. 24 3/4" is the same measurement the world over.
    Must be gone. Like I said, there's gonna be a LOT returned within the end of the 30 day window.

ID10T and tonray like this.
  17. adad

adad Well-Known Member

I shipped my white DC back. Still trying to set up my yellow DC.
    I got the $100 B stock gold 338 the other day. A much better guitar. Reminds me of the old Douglas WMO I had. (made by Shine) Close to the same quality. I now understand the fuss over the 338.

idiotsdelight likes this.
  18. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

I agree. Very glaring oversight on these guitars. And the upcoming LP with the stop bar that’s in the obvious wrong location, isn’t helping anything.

If I was a small company I’d get it right. Not use that as an excuse to get it wrong.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    tonray likes this.
  19. idiotsdelight

Same issues with the DC?

Do you mean the stobar? The bridge "looks" accurately placed.

jmilch likes this.
  20. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

Sorry yes. The stop bar. Someone pointed that out and I can’t stop noticing it.

idiotsdelight likes this.