** Update** Wtb/wtt Feeler: Telecaster

Discussion in 'Classifieds - For Sale / For Trade / Want To Buy' started by needhelp, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:53 PM.

1. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm the guy who was jonesin' for a 335 a month ago.

I just played a real tele through my Princeton Reverb. It was like taking a blanket off the amp.

I've been using my Epiphone ES-335 Pro's bridge split coil-style. I had never played a "real" tele (Fender or otherwise) through it until yesterday. Man 'o man...

Please PM me if you have a mid-line Fender or a well-modded copy that you are willing to part with. Sale or trade-for-the-Epiphone+cash. Wear and tear doesn't bother me. 'Probably not an SX unless it's cream-your-pants good.

My Epiphone 335-Pro was purchased mid-2016 for $390 with a case. It was (is) a blem. For some reason, the guitar has a small screw hole in it. It's my only guitar and gets constant use. 'No big belt rash, but lots of fingerprints. What can I say? It's not new. The picture makes the screw hole look bigger than it is, but it's there nonetheless.

I look forward to hearing from you.

upload_2018-8-12_17-21-27.jpeg

upload_2018-8-12_17-45-25.jpeg

fullonshred and jhull54 like this.
  2. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You won't ever be happy until you get a good CV Squire or Mex Fender Tele. Secret tip: I prefer my CV Squire Tele to my high dollar American Standard Tele and my '68 Tele.

3. Chad

Chad Active Member

I have a nice double bound white classic vibe tele that was a special run they did for the classic vibe custom telecasters. Its in really good shape, but they are rare and I would have to get a really good price for it plus you cover shipping. Not sure you would be interested but if you are then PM me and I will see if I can work something out with you.

Gergo and kungphugrip like this.

4. Chad

Chad Active Member

Gergo, needhelp and Buddy like this.
  5. Chad

Chad Active Member

This is the one Im talking about by the way.

6. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Those double bound CVC's are sweeeet.

7. Chad

Chad Active Member

They really are, I had plans for this guitar but have left it alone and unmodified... probably for the best, I had planned to put a hot rails in the bridge position.

8. golem

golem Well-Known Member

CVs are good, but I also think the G&L Tributes we frequently see on sale for 300-400 are a good buy. My personal favorite, though, is the Fender Baja. Not sure what price range you're thinking of.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    guitaro and needhelp like this.
  9. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

I have had a "tele" for several years, and that and the LP are the guitars I play the most. I can recommend the CV 50's for sure. Awesome guitar, and I can't really find anything I want to tinker with on it. You can find them on Reverb for $300-$350 +shipping all day. IMO they are well worth that price.

10. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Wait.... you only have one guitar? Such a degree of self control, discipline and restraint is practically unknown in these parts! :)

11. Deadman73

Deadman73 Well-Known Member

While I’ve come to love the Telecaster I don’t know if I’d want it to be my only guitar. I’d keep the 335 & find a good deal on a Mexican Fender. If you’re patient it will come.

12. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I only have one tele, a heavily modded out old sx. I love it, but as stated above, I don't know that it would be my choice if I could only have 1 guitar. I will also add a vote for the CV teles, they truly are nice guitars out of the box. I would put my old sx up against any tele, but then again it is definitely not straight out of the box.

13. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

If that 335 weren't black, I might be interested (though I don't know which of my Teles I could bear to part with :) ).

As was already mentioned, though, the Squier CV can't be beat... Ordinarily, I'd recommend buying one used, but if you call Sweetwater, and ask them to match a MF or GC coupon, they usually will. I got mine for about $350 that way

And I'd hang on to the 335, as a traditional Tele can't make that noise.

needhelp and kungphugrip like this.
  14. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Hope you find your Tele!

15. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

tvvoodoo likes this.
  16. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i agree with the above posters, get your self a Classic vibe, my MiM fender has nothing on a
    CV, unfortunately most stores are sold out these days.

17. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

I'm a tele addict. I totally support your choice. Don't rush into a purchase or a trade just for the sake of getting a telecaster. I don't know how much mullah you have or can come up with but if there is any way you can swing an American made Tele I would HIGHLY recommend doing that, take the time and try out lots of guitars and keep an eye out on GC used, you might be surprised what you can find for less than you expect. Honestly there is NOTHING like an american made tele.

My other advice if you want something NOW, and are short on cash, then start looking around at used made in mexico telecaster, if you can find one from around 1997 or 98 I would say jump on it, those two years Fender mexico was really on top of their QC because they were putting together the MIA guitars due to a fire in the USA. Telecasters made in Japan were really nice too but they now run about the same price as MIA teles. Do some research on check reviews for various years of production, there were some great years and deals to be had on a really nice MIM tele. I also have to say the most recent production of Player serious coming out now are pretty nice as well, if you wait a little longer there will be used ones for around the same price as your epiphone.

Last but not least is the squier telecasters, the vintage vibes are decent but I feel the necks have wayyyyyy to much finish on them for my tastes, pickups are good and overall construction is good. frets on all the recent squiers are better then most guitars I have seen, they are doing something right.

So, in short, I would say don't rush into it, try out what feels right to you, if you are on a budget, look around for a good used MIM telecaster.

As a wise man once said to me: "Anyone can learn to play a guitar, but its rare to find someone who really can play a telecaster".

BTW, that tone knob will be your best friend!

needhelp likes this.
  18. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

this is the video that stopped me from buying and American special
    both sound great but i love the mellow smoothness of the CV, the special has a lil to much bite and pick attack for me but i can see how some folks would prefer this both kick ass!

as always, use headphones.

19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I had an American Series tele, it was awesome only cost me about 2x what I paid for my CV tele (though I somehow sold it for 2x what I paid for it...)
    d7b273ea7eccb0de42ab7b7be32a36cd.jpg
    https://reverb.com/item/2666159-2000-2001-hot-rod-red-fender-telecaster-american-series

It wasn't that much better than the CV tele I had, nothing special about the pickups or Modern bridge that I could not replicate for much less (except maybe the color).

My only current solid bodied tele is my Agile. The neck is much more modern strat like, and I think I just prefer the quasi modern feel with bigger frets/flatter radius. I've never quite bonded with the vintage style necks/frets (exception: my '98 MIM strat).

needhelp and kungphugrip like this.
  20. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

No eff'n way! See below.