Video Software Suggestions

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Snare227, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

There are so many great free video programs out there that I am a bit overwhelmed, so I thought you all might have a lot more experience and maybe some advice. I'm looking at starting to do some of my pedal demos in house, nothing fancy at all, but video editing is new to me. I'm looking at possibly shooting a couple angles with a pair of Iphones and then recording audio straight into my audio computer. I may decide to add some text and maybe picture in picture. I thought about having a small video of the guitar in the corner of the shot and then a larger shot of the pedal settings. I plan on syncing the audio and video using a Windows based machine. End product will end up on YouTube with those videos also on my website.

I'm currently downloading DaVinci Resolve and will play around with it a bit, but I thought maybe some members here had some suggestions of some free downloads to check out.

RockYoWorld and fullonshred like this.
  2. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

Front Page Bump :walking:

3. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

DaVinci resolve is what I have. Running it on an older windows 8 machine. I am no master of it, but it works for a hack like myself.

Just make sure your PC is powerful enough. There are few things more frustrating than trying to edit video and a machine that is not up to the task.....

Snare227 likes this.

4. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Resolve is probably the best there is for free and it looks like a really good program - haven't used it much but tried it a bit, since I know a lot of people use it for even serious work.

What I use is Sony Vegas aka these days Magix movie studio https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/

It's cheap and I've used Vegas for aeons so that may affect things a bit, but it's really easy. Very simple to do not only basic edits and such, but also add lots of tracks, texts, animations, effects, even green screen stuff, and it's pretty effective for mixing sounds too as it supports VST plugins.

If you get the hang of Resolve quick and it does what you need it to do, stick with it, but if it seems difficult might be worth checking Vegas out.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

nomadh and Snare227 like this.
  5. sloopdawg

sloopdawg Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Snare227 likes this.
  6. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    deeaa and Snare227 like this.
  7. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

I bought movavi. It has more stuff than I need,bt it's very intuitive.

Snare227 and deeaa like this.
  8. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I switch from Adobe Premiere Pro to DaVinci Resolve this year. I like the editor. Not quite happy with the final renderings, though.

Snare227 likes this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I remember years ago liking the look of vegas but I never did the project to find out. Im surprised to hear it may still be at the top and that Sony sold it.

Snare227 and deeaa like this.
  10. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

The thing with Vegas is there's probably 6-8 versions of it around at least. Some are available in Steam dirt cheap and some are sold only in their own service where I bought mine. It seems to be updated quite often, but updates are seldom free, but cost $49 usually. The better versions come bundled with quite a few plugins and also other programs like DVD authoring tool and whatnot.

I've only used Vegas and Premiere on a Mac and I grew to dislike both Premiere and Macs with gusto when I did - far too complicated and the logic just doesn't work for me, plus Premiere crashed often and seemed really slow. I'm sure it's good though if you learn it and have a real strong computer.

I've used Vegas since and it's quite simple to learn on your own, simple logic to the interface, and it's always seemed very quick to me too and supports CUDA cores and such.

I've tried DaVinci and some other free ones and they seem like they're aimed for professional cutting and editing films and such, quite impressed about them and I'm sure they would be well worth learning if you want to edit videos professionally and want high quality and proper color definitions and such.

Vegas otoh is very easy for all kinds of things I need more, like small animations, titles, quick effects and even that green screen, and audio plugin support and such have been great for making band videos. Like the live videos I've shared here recently, takes minutes to throw something like that together and align picture with music and so on. That's why I have no need for more complex ones, as long as this works fast and reliably. I decided it was worth the $50 to update it every three four years or whatever, when something new comes along I need, like 4K support etc, instead of learning everything it does in another program.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Snare227 likes this.