Vintage Carvin bass pawshop sighting (edit) soon to be score!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Truedog, May 6, 2013.

1. Truedog

Truedog Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone is interested in older Carvins.

I was at the pawn shop with my wife yesterday and they have a pearl white LB75 that appears to be a 1988-90 model. The bass seems to be in pretty good shape overall with its share of battle scars but nothing unusual for the age. It seems to play pretty good, though the 5th string was throwing me off. I've never tried a 5 string before and its been a long time since I picked up any bass, but it didn't seem it has any major problems.
    Being a pawnshop they are asking an exorbitant $685! I would guesstimate the correct value to be around $300.
    The bass looked very similar to this one:
    20eddcc696f17dfc59ef68dbb9ff11b2.jpg

More pics. I was tempted but the price was out of line and the dudes at the pawnshop are typical predatory pawnshop jerks. Pay people half of what an item is worth then try to sell it for at least double what it's worth. No deal for me here. And after playing it a bit more, I know that whenever I get a bass it will be a four stringer. Nothing wrong with this one, but for me I think 4 strings would be plenty.

[​IMG]
    3db23fbbd6d1c4d81cfb25c9e3826ffb.jpg
    aa22ada531d4b766b9b80e1a6b31dc9f.jpg

2. chibimike

chibimike Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

RE: Vintage Carvin bass pawshop sighting

I'm not sure where you get the $300 value on that bass. From little I've found the pawn shops price is pretty much in line. Neck thru 5 string, it looks like it has the stereo output option. Not a $300 bass.

3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Although Carvins do go cheap I'd be shocked to find one for $300 as well.

4. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Being ignorant about all things bass-y, I am guessing that this is a pretty nice instrument. Judging from your opinion and those that responded, it sounds overpriced.

Oh, I'm the new bassist in our band. I am so. damn. lame.

5. Truedog

That bass was $600-700 in 1988 or so. Carvins notoriously don't have great resale. Maybe $300 is too low, but $685 is WAY high IMO. If I could convince them to do a straight trade for my Carvin Nomad ministack I'd be mighty tempted.

6. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

That's a hellaciously good bass.

I've got an '89 with block inlays that's very close to pristine (it was owned by a bow-tie-wearing jazz player who decided that red was a bit too rock and roll for him). Main difference is that it has block MOP inlays.

c8762f09d2d7ebcf9f81ecdfbef3a925.jpg 1928e294126b4a0bde789aaf5e74807d.jpg 3e5176256c8fd261de4e4dbbfae61f18.jpg

Most people mistake those for single coils, but they're very good stacked humbuckers.

It likely has the A500B-1 Active Electronics module, it IS stereo and (there should be a 9V battery in there somewhere, that will last about 6 months with 20 hours use per week on an alkaline), and if it's the A500B-1, there's a

Master Volume knob
    Active Master Bass knob
    Active Master Treble knob
    Pickup Mix (Blend) knob

There's an in and out of phase switch (the Blend knob actually makes this quite usable and pretty versatile).
    The other two miniswitches are a Deep switch (neck pickup only) and a Bright switch (Bridge only)
    One jack is for both pickups (if you're running mono) or Neck pickup only and the other is for the Bridge pickup only if you're running stereo. The hand-written control diagram that came with some of these was wrong for the A500B module. The correct one looks like this:

83a257b71cffd22467e35432e9d705b9.jpg

If you learn on a four-string, you can play a five string just fine; just use the low string as a thumb rest. After a while, you find that you're adding that fifth string in, especially when you're working up the neck (above the fifth fret). I have both a four and a five, and as of last year I was pretty much a beginner (still am, I figure) at bass. But adapting to a five hasn't been a challenge at all.

As for price; Carvins really don't depreciate as rapidly as Internet Mythology (and Truedog) suggests. But I do think the $685 price tag is high given the condition. I'd put that one at $450-550, especially if it's in great working order, has a straight neck and comes with a case.

7. Truedog

She will be mine! Oh yes, she WILL be mine!

Just gave the pawnshop a $100 down payment to hold the bass for me. I'm getting it for $400. I'm getting a fair amount of OT at work during the next couple weeks, so I will use that money for the bass unless the Nomad sells first. Of course now I will need a bass amp....... I am thinking that a MB1015 microstack in Python would be a perfect companion for this 1988 bass.

8. CnB

CnB New Member

$400 is a good deal for that bass. Congrats!

I wouldn't mix bass speaker sizes, you can get phasing issues that makes it sound terrible. It's less forgiving than with most guitar speakers. The MB series are good amps, though, and at a great price. You might also look into the new Ampeg PF series, GK MB series, and some others. Do you know what kind of tone you're looking for?

9. Truedog

I want a pretty tight sound, but still enough low end that the low B doesn't fart out. Last bass amp I owned was may years ago. It was a Peavey Combo 300 15" combo to which I added a 118 cab. Since you don't recommend mixing sizes would you recommend 2 10's or 2 15's? Carvin also has a three way 12" version of this amp.

10. CnB

CnB New Member

Will you be gigging with it, or just playing at home? Drummer? What style of music? You could get away with just the combo and no extension depending, however I would suggest the 15". It has a bigger cabinet so it's been tuned a bit lower and will be more able to handle those notes on the B-string. It also pushes more air and will be louder as a result.

11. Truedog

Mostly just playing at home, no drummer for now, classic rock, blues, and I might learn a bit of country.

12. DalyTek

DalyTek New Member

Wow, congrats! I absolutely love Carvins. Not a bass player, personally, but that's still one sexy instrument. Something about white guitars.....yum.

13. chibimike

chibimike Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Cool. Great price.

14. CnB

CnB New Member

I would go with the MB10 for starters and then buy the 2x10 cabinet later if you need to get louder. Stack 'em up vertically and you'll be plenty audible.

15. MatthewFireblade

MatthewFireblade Well-Known Member

That's one train of thought.

Another would be: (top 3 I would get in 8 ohm, bottom 2 I would do 4)
    http://avatarspeakers.com/TB153.htm
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PF115LF/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Neo112II/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/212MBE-II4/
    http://avatarspeakers.com/b212.htm

with:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--AMPPF500
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKLH500
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDEE300
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB500/

The only one I haven't played is the Eden. I've owned the GK and the Ampeg, and for your listed tones, either will do wonders. The GK I had was naturally EQed for more lows than anything and took some tweaking to get it sounding good. The Ampeg is more mid-range biased and takes a little tweaking to get a nice thump going, but it's there. The Hartke is a great amp that has been drastically overlooked IMO.

16. gearhead1972

gearhead1972 Well-Known Member

I have the MB10, I have it paired with their 112 AG Cab wrapped in black to match the MB It is made for their acoustic/singer combo. It has a port and a tweeter. The 115MB extension is not ported, but the 210MB is. I read about people using them on Talkbass. The MB10 gets ok loud with midrange punch on it's own. Adding the 12 gives it nice bottom end that it is lacking. I have had to turn it down many times gigging with my band, though we are not loud. If I were to do it again I would get the 112 AG extension, but get the MB12 amp.