Vox Ad15vt Weird Symptoms

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by T100D, Jun 12, 2018.

1. T100D

T100D Active Member

Yeah, I know they're cheap but I can't afford to replace it right now …

Here's what's going on—I have two of these amps, one of which my nephew gave me because it has a loud hum on all but two of the amp models.
    Last night I heard that my good one had developed a scratchy noise like a blown speaker cone that becomes apparent as a held chord dies away. It also seemed to have started happening on the second amp …
    I tried different guitars and different chords to no effect. I tried switching the connections, i.e., Amp 1 to Speaker 2, then Amp 2 to Speaker 1—same sound on both ways.
    Messing around with it, I then discovered that the problem appears to vanish if I run the amps in Preset mode instead of Manual—this would seem to indicate that the speakers are okay as are the 12AX7's that control the modeling.
    If this is the case, could both of these amps have developed a problem with the power amp chip?

I've recently been running them together with an AB/Y pedal, but I don't see how that could create a problem, or am I missing something?

PsychoCid likes this.
  2. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Bump for Vox AD_VT

I have an AD30VT, a cheap impulse buy from GC used bin, which refuses to reset - I don't agree with prior owner's idea of what a screaming amp should sound like...!

3. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I love Vox amps or at least some of them but I always WORRY. I am always expecting and waiting for them to break. I have had several that just stopped or made weird sounds to the extent they were unusable. It doesn't pay to try and get them repaired (too expensive) and Vox only offers one year warranty so they are basically disposable amps. Throw it away and buy another and hope it lasts longer.

4. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

Sorry, man. I don't have a clue what's up with your amp.

My AD30VT was bulletproof. I wish I had never traded it off for my Mustang.

OMB likes this.
  5. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Ive been a Vox Valvetronix fan since the early oughts. My AD60VTX (blue series) was the best amp I've ever owned, but my current VT40X (the latest iteration) is a hissy POS.

I don't even use the amp models any more (the Fender models sound like shite to me). I just keep it in manual mode on one of the 'user' presets...

Actually, I've just been using the THR10 mostly... I'm probably going to get either a Katana or a Super Champ.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. JeffBeck

My vote is Katana. But I might be biased.

Mossman likes this.
  7. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    [​IMG]

Mossman likes this.
  8. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know this sounds weird, but clean the headphone jacks with some deoxit. I had the same problem with an AD50VT and that fixed it.

minpind and JeffBeck like this.
  9. OMB

Jeffie you got all caught up in the MustangMania that was happening. I did not think the Mustang came even close to my Vox AD30VT. My little DA5's have those tones thank goodness.

10. OMB

You have to bias that amp?

Mossman likes this.
  11. JeffBeck

Nope.

12. JeffBeck

I liked my Mustang III a lot, but I really wanted that Bluetooth functionality of the GT series because I hated fiddling around with the little led screen on the Mustang.

So glad I went with the Katana, though. You can get in to Tone Studio and fiddle all you want (and there's boatloads of presets out there to download) - but you don't have to. The amp is great just from the physical panel and standard voicings. I couldn't be happier with it. Takes pedals really well - as you would expect from a BOSS product. I went with the 100w so that I could have the FX loop, too - plus more banks in the presets. Now I need to get the footswitch, but I'm too cheap to spring for it just yet.

Mossman likes this.
  13. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

You describe static and hum.

This can be a poor solder connection. I am thinking the filter caps or the volume control (if they get face bumped - happens all the time). Also check for screws which hold the printed circuit board to the chassis which have come loose. A lot of designs have a ground point from the PCB to a metal standoff to the chassis. They come loose, you get eddy currents which cause hum & static.

Hope this helps

14. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that. What I want is an amp that I don't have to dick around with software in order to get what I want out of it.

That's part of the reason I decided to go back to Valvetronix. I always felt like i had full control of those amps through the control panel (the models I've owned, anyway). They never even had editing software until this latest incarnation, and I think that was just a token gesture, because all the other modellers have it.

It's a shame... I really like the manual interface on the VT40X too. It's the most intuitive I've seen so far. If it weren't for all the digital artifacts, it would be a keeper.

Believer likes this.
  15. JeffBeck

You can also get a damn good sound out of a Blackstar ID:Core series amp as well. Those things are pretty amazing. I still prefer my Katana, but my son's ID:Core is no slouch. Had it dialed in last night to suit my 339 and there was some sonic magic going on.

Mossman and Believer like this.
  16. OMB

Jeff - See what I did there? You are biased? OK I won't quit my day job. Ooops too late I ain't got no day or night job...in fact I ain't got no job.

Mossman likes this.