Waiting For A Hngd:

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by supersoldier71, Feb 11, 2020.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

f22bd8794c4aac89b83f2fbf72320d95.jpg

I ordered an Ed O’Brien “EOB” Strat from Sweetwater on Saturday and it should arrive tomorrow.

I’m not a Radiohead or Ed O’Brien fan, it just seemed like a really cool package, and the clips sounded like they managed to retain the Stratty-ness.

I would have loved to demo one first, but the nearest one I could find at any music retailer was in Richmond, VA.

Not doing that.

Buyer’s Remorse kicked in and I started thinking that I’d just bought a guitar that’s a weak substitute for a MIDI keyboard, but I think I can figure out some cool tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Looks like a pretty cool package to me.

3. DRW10471

DRW10471 New Member

Man, looks great. I bet it
    sounds great too! Post when it arrives. The waiting is the hardest part!

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Rail bucker in neck position and humbucker also at bridge?

5. supersoldier71

It’s got a Sustainer pickup in the neck so it’ll do essentially infinite sustain when activated, but the demos and reviews indicate that it’ll still do Strat sounds when the system’s not activated.

I’m back to liking Strats again since I got my FSR dialed in and paired with an amp that likes Strats.

I really would’ve preferred to demo an instrument like this before hand, but that ain’t always possible.

It’s also got a relatively thick 50s profile neck, which I’ve never played.

Basically, I have some musical ideas that I think the Sustainer would work for.

Oddly enough, I’d always thought that if I ended up with an Artist model guitar, it’d be Clapton, Eric Johnson or maybe Jimmie Vaughan, certainly not a player who I’d never really rocked with before.

I’m gonna check Radiohead out now of course just on principle.

Believer and tonray like this.
  6. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

That is a really beautiful strat. A few years back a student of mine bought a Jeff Beck strat that looks very similar to your guitar with the exception of the pickups. That thing was a machine. It was so well built. I would assume the same from this guitar.

7. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Nice guitar. Love me some Radiohead!

8. dfriedl

dfriedl Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That looks great. I’m sure it’ll sound really good as a basic pickup - it still has the neck position right, and without the sustain enabled, I’m sure it’s just a SC-sized rail HB. Nice add.

tonray likes this.
  9. supersoldier71

Guitar arrived right before lunch today, so in a fit of paranoia, I rushed home before some porch pirate could rip me off.

Took me a little while to get it to make sounds, but I figured out that the 9V battery wasn’t properly seated and voila! Sound!

Mesa DC3, Rhythm channel: it sounds kinda Stratty. Strat-like, maybe? I usually crank my middle pickup all the way down flush and they never come that way.

My concerns about the neck were put to rest. The folks that called it a “baseball” bat must have tiny hands, because while it is thicker and beefier than my Charvel (naturally) and even my FSR Strat, it’s still thinner than my Wildkat, which is close to a telephone pole as I’ll ever go.

The Sustainer system is going to take to effort—more than 15 minutes at least—to figure out. Musically I mean. Functionally, it does what it’s supposed to, and I think it’ll be more usable than my FreqOut pedal, for example.

More to follow.

10. supersoldier71

Played it in church today and I am very VERY pleased with this thing.

It’s got the Strat sound on lock, and after a few days fooling with the sustainer, it’s easy to use and integrate.

One particular song had a long synth pad intro, and I was able to double that and add some vibrato and that was cool and sounded great on the recording.

This afternoon, my wife was out shopping and so I got to lay down the rhythm track for a song idea, and I really dig this thing.

It’s not quite love at first sight like my PRS SE Floyd. That was and remains my favorite guitar.

The neck is pretty comfortable, but maybe a little thicker than would be ideal. Four straight songs in Eb and it was starting to get uncomfortable.

11. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Not a "regular" guitar

beautiful

12. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I gotta agree its purty for sure, I'm glad it does good strat sounds for ya and anything else it does is extra I says.

13. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a fan of Radiohead. I'm wondering if I'd like this. I love the neck and neck middle positions on a strat so much (and on most guitars) that I'm not sure how much I'd like this setup.
    It's definitely a setup not a lot of other S styles were using and I think it's nice to have something like this on the market.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  14. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

funny, i was just watching this

slick guitar!

15. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

Man, I'm liking that, and I don't generally like Strats (although I just bought one that I do really like, more on that in a new NGD thread later). Looks very versatile. Which amp does it "like"? (I've noticed that some of my amps don't play well with Strats, although it might be that I don't know how to dial a Strat in.)

golem likes this.
  16. supersoldier71

My Boogie DC3 works with Strats better than any amp I’ve ever owned, which isn’t really a huge sample size but it sounds good.

The neck pickup delivers the goods well enough on its own, but the “quack positions”, 2&4 are really nice.

That JB Jr bridge may have to go though. Nothing objectively wrong with it, but they should’ve called it something else, as it has NOTHING in common with a JB humbucker.

So this’s a little weird: positions 2,3 & 4 are great, 5 is at least okay and 1 is...blah.

Believer likes this.
  17. supersoldier71

Okay.

Ignore everything negative I said about this guitar and attribute it to user error.

Bridge pickup is fine, neck pickup is fine.

I’m really starting to dig this guitar now that I’ve had a chance to really tweak my amp and get everything locked in.

The neck carve and thickness have grown on me also.

I feel some irony in that my favorite Strat of the 5 I’ve owned is an Artist model for a player I don’t really dig.

I tried stock with major mods. Tried stock with hotrodded electronics (Roadhouse). Tried an Epiphone knock off. Tried a stock FSR. And here we are.

tonray likes this.