We are going to see Fear Factory

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by tkozuch, Jul 25, 2010.

1. tkozuch

tkozuch Well-Known Member

Me and Rick that is. I can't wait. They are probably the band that got me into heavier metal. Before them, it was all Metallica. After Fear Factory, I started getting into the "chuggier" stuff. And Burton aslo introduced me to the more screaming style of vocal.

Anyway, me and Rick are going to see them at the Croc Rock in Allentown on Tuesday, and I'm psyched. Any of the metallers here ever see FF?

2. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

I CAN'T F'ING WAIT!!!!!

3. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

seem FF a few times back in the late 90's . twice at the Electric Factory in Philly, and once in Jersey. have you ever been to the Croc Rock ? it's fucking small as hell !! prolly my favorite place to see bands when i lived up that way.

[Edited on 25-7-2010 by nrussell23]

4. tkozuch

Neither can Dino.....

[​IMG]

5. tkozuch

Nick - never been to Croc Rock, but yeah, I have heard it's tiny. I'm cool with that though. Most of my concert-going takes place at the electric factory.

Oh, and the Deftones are playing (possibly with Baroness) at the Croc Rock in Sept. I might have to go to that too.

6. Rick In Pa.

I've only been to the Croc Once once. I saw Death Angel & God Forbid there. It really is Tiny! I was no more than 20 yards from the stage and I didn't even have to deal with pit morons. Sorry but, I go to a show to see a band not get my ass kicked.

7. i hate righties

i hate righties New Member

Im seeing the deftones this fall with AIC and mastodon.
    when the deftones are the third best band in a lineup, you knows its a good show:naughty:

[Edited on 25-7-2010 by i hate righties]

8. tkozuch

t-minus 3 hours. Getting the neck loosened up

9. Awake69

Awake69 Well-Known Member

SUUUUUFFFFEEEEEEERRRR BAAAAAASTAAAAAAAARD!!!

10. GibsonWho?

GibsonWho? New Member

I saw 'em on Gigantour, really not a fan I must say. Symphony X and Dream Theater brought the house down though. I've met 'em after the show and everyone was super nice and friendly except Dino, who seemed ultra shy/socially awkward.

11. Awake69

Was Dino with them on Gigantour? I thought Christian had taken the guitar duties during that time. I know Dino had left after Digimortal and only returned this last year or so.

12. almightybunghole

almightybunghole Well-Known Member

Is Gene the machine still playing for them?

13. almightybunghole

almightybunghole Well-Known Member

14. GibsonWho?

GibsonWho? New Member

My fault, I was referring to the vocalist, Burton. I don't know their names I'm afraid, I always hear Dino mentioned when people talk about FF so I assumed he was the vocalist.

And as for the cruise thing above^...mmm, Sonata Arctica. One of my top 10 favorite bands. They're not the same without Jani (original guitarist) but still great.

[Edited on 27-7-2010 by GibsonWho?]

15. tkozuch

oh my god, that cruise sounds amazing!

16. Tritone

Tritone Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd live to see the day when metal bands take their act to a cruise ship LOL

Have fun guys, not a fan of the music but I'm sure it'll be awesome!

17. tkozuch

Thanks, about to head out now. I think that Demanufacture was the first cd i ever bought as a kid. I never thought I'd have a chance to see the band with Dino back on guitar, so I had to jump. I know very little about the other bands playing tonight other than Divine Heresy (Dino's other band) and 36 Crazyfists.

18. Rick In Pa.

What an awesome show! Four of the five bands were very good/excellent!

Started with a new band from Ottawa, Canada called Baptized in Blood. Very solid young band. Nothing too flashy but good heavy stuff. They have a cd coming out on Roadrunner very soon. The singer is obviously influenced by Tim Lambesis.

Next up was Divine Heresy, obviously playing early in the evening so Dino could get a rest before the Fear Factory set. They were awesome. The new singer is killer, with a very powerful voice. Tim Yeung is an amazingly fast and flashy drummer (but he has nothing on Gene Hoglan, but more on this later). They only played about a half an hour, but it was an awesome set!

Then came (for me) the low point of the evening. The band After The Burial. The are obviously all talented musicians, but only seemed interested in showing how amazing their two guitarists are. Every song was basically one back and forth solo between the two guitarists from start to finish. The best part of their set was when a guy came on stage and said something to them after they finished their 4th song and then the singer announced that their set had been cut short due to "Fear Factory time". It was pretty funny in my opinion. They showed very little class and respect for Fear Factory by inciting the crowd to chant "BULLSHIT". Needless to say, I won't be supporting this band in the future.

Up next was 36 Crazyfists. I have been a fan of theirs and I own all of their albums, but I felt they were a little bit miscast for this tour. I was wrong. THEY KILLED IT! They played an extremely heavy, although too short set. The drummer was very solid and the guitarist was good but not at all flashy. The singer proved to be a very good frontman, getting the crowd whipped in to a frenzy. The highlight of their set for me was when the bassist had to fix something on his rig, so the singer went on to talk about the Philadelphia Flyers for about 3 minutes. I was surprised since they aren't from around here (They're from F'ing Alaska!), but he is obviously a big Flyers fan or just a really big hockey fan. Good stuff!

They then gave way to the mighty Fear Factory! Their set was laid out perfectly. They started out with the title track off of their new album Mechanize and then proceeded to take us through a trip through their entire history. They went as far back as their 1st album Soul of a New Machine (Martyr) and then played all the classics you would expect from albums like Obsolete (Shock & Edgecrusher), Digimortal (Linchpin) and of course DeManufacture (Self Bias Resistor, Demanufacture & Replica). They also played a couple more songs off the new album (Powershifter and one other I can't remember. The thig that struck me, as this was my first time seeing them, is that both Dino & Gene Hoglan are fucking machines! Those guys are so incredibly tight and fast, it's truly amazing. I now know why they refer to Hoglan as The Atomic Time Clock.

So, overall, I would rate this as as excellent show. This was the last night of the tour, so there were some antics with some of the openings acts, which made it a bit more fun. Great night of metal! Thanks to Tony for going along and rocking out with me, I had a blast!

19. Awake69

I'm just drooling over the thought of that cruise....I would be in heaven, especially seeing Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Iced Earth and Fear Factory....

I agree with GibsonWho? on Sonata losing Jani...Jani was awesome. I want that custom Ibanez Destroyer he played.

20. GibsonWho?

GibsonWho? New Member

Somebody on sevenstring.org got their hands on a 7 string version of Jani's custom shop destroyer, and sold it soon after cuz of some debt issue or something. it was SUPER sweet.

I have some good memories with Jani though, and a couple of signed posters to remember him by. Maybe someday they'll reconcile and he'll come back into the band.