NGD Well This Happened.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Tiga, May 18, 2019.

1. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

I've had very little GAS since getting my Gibson ES Les Paul for my birthday in January. But I couldn't pass this up when it came up as a b-stock for $65. (and yes - it came with stickers) :) More info to come.

IMG_6299.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6301.JPG

2. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

A couple things always intrigued me about this model. First was the cool Tequila Sunrise finish, and second was the Gibson scale length. I was even more interested after reading @Mossman review his, in addition to following his refinishing project. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros:
    LOVE the finish. Seriously I love the color scheme.
    The neck feels good. A little thinner than my MIM strat and my SX RST strat - but not too thin. Light satin finish on the back is very smooth and my hand glides nicely. Frets appear to be well done overall but are going to need some very slight touch up - more on that later.
    I like the black pickguard.
    It sounds like a strat. I'm not going to say these are the worlds greatest pickups but they sound far better than I expected. Also quieter than I expected. Very usable and I don't see the need to rush to change them.
    I'm really digging the Gibson scale length on this. Feels very comfortable to play. I'm now wondering if 24.75 conversion necks aren't in my future LOL.

Cons:
    Most of the cons are what's been mentioned on every cheap guitar review, including:
    Crappy tuners - they need to go.
    Plastic nut - although not cut too badly, it's cheap plastic and I can hear the pinging when I tune.
    Tremolo springs - you can hear them when you strum (not a good sound) and they actually continue to ring after the chords stop. Weird.
    The fretboard is REALLY dry. wow.
    The fret ends are just a tiny bit sharp. A light touch up should do it.
    I found one slightly dead fret - hopefully a spot level will fix it.
    I haven't looked yet but I'm sure they are small cheap pots.

I'd say overall I find the quality of this to be somewhere between a Squier Affinity and a Squier Standard. Although I haven't touch either of those models in a while so I'm going from memory.

The Plan:
    Get a basic set up going, remove the strings, check all frets for level and fix as necessary, clean up and lubricate the nut, oil the fretboard, restring, adjust neck, and so on - you know the drill. I'm going to put some foam strips in the springs and see if that helps the weird harmonics from them.

Already ordered a replacement bone nut from ebay. Now shopping for some replacement tuners, preferrably black and inexpensive. Thinking about the Wilkinson EZ-Locks although I have no experience with them. Once it's playing well I'll decide on other upgrades.

The biggest plus with this guitar is my 11 yo daughter, who played a little guitar in the past but switched to ukelele, said to me "I like this guitar and I think I'm going to try the guitar again".

YES!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Wilk EZLOKS are great tuners ONCE you understand how to use them. And they do not hit the pocketbook too hard.
    I have them on most of the guitars on which I have replaced the tuners. Love locking tuners with NO moving parts. :)
    I love the idea of Strat/Tele style guitars with Gibbie scale length.
    Never knew replacement necks with Gibbie scale length were available! DOH! :sunglasses:

PsychoCid, Mossman and Tiga like this.

4. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

What's the secret to the EZ Locks? Yes Warmoth sells them as do a few other builders I've seen on ebay.

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Let me send you a PM cause the explanation is longish and would bore everyone else? :)

6. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Well-Known Member

Great lookin' strat!

And I agree with Mickey, Wilkinson EZLoks are great tuners! My last two guitars got the EZLok upgrade (except for the guitars with locking nuts). They feel so much smoother than the cheapies that come on some of our budget guitars. They can also be found on Amazon, BTW.

Mickey likes this.
  7. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Not necessarily...

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the girly guitar club! :) Those stock pickups do sound pretty good - and very Stratty - but I'm still going to replace them on mine (I still haven't reassembled mine yet... you'll find out why when I resume the build thread).

I'm a big fan of Wilkinson hardware, and I highly recommend the EZ-Lock tuners. I have them on a few of my builds/mods.

Tiga likes this.
  9. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Thanks - cool club! LOL. I was just thinking I don't think I ever saw the final version of your Rose Re-do. When I bought this one there was a purple b-stock as well. I thought more than once about buying it for a refinishing project.

Mossman likes this.
  10. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I kinda got the wind knocked out of my sails on that project because of a stupid mistake... After repainting and finishing that guitar TWICE (don't ever use graffiti artist paint to paint a guitar!), I got the finish just about perfect the second time, only to ruin it at the finish line. When I pulled the masking tape out of the neck pocket, I forgot to score it around the edges first, and it ripped a big, triangular layer of poly off the surface of the guitar... After all the work I put into that finish, I was utterly gutted... I did manage to repair the finish somewhat, but there's some discoloration in the paint:

finish gank.jpg

I'm still going to finish the project, but it did kinda ruin my ambition for a while.

Tiga likes this.
  11. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kinda of like the finish

Tiga likes this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I hate painted guitars and even I could get into that model. I think that's one of the best opaque paint jobs on a stock guitar.

Tiga likes this.
  13. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Yeah it has a bit of the 1970's retro feel to it. At first I wanted to get rid of the logo on the headstock and possibly paint it, but now I think I may leave it alone.

nomadh likes this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

EZLoks work, (I have 2 sets) however, being the lazy bum I am, I prefer Planet Waves Auto-trims for fast tool-less string changes. So yeah, normal tuners (and normal lockers) require something to cut the string when you're done, but I found that EZloks ALSO require a set of needle nose to get the string out of the tuner... a pain. With Autotrims, you simply align the hole, pull the string through, lock it with the thumbwheel (just like on a regular locker), tune up to pitch and pick up the string end after it falls on the floor.

I'm not saying that the OP would want to spend that much on a set of tuners for this guitar (though, if they are lazy like me, they might) just pointing out another con to EZLoks.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Tiga and tobijohn like this.
  15. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

You can send a PM and edumacate 1 man, or you can post the info in an open thread and edumacate the world.

RiverDog and PsychoCid like this.
  16. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Getting ready for a fret level. Overall they weren't too bad, one spot around the 8th fret but a few spots from 13 on up. Decided I could use some leveling/crowning practice so here we go.

Rose Fret Level.JPG

PsychoCid and BrianSkeezer like this.
  17. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Scott Grove, of all people, spoke highly of that model. Even did a vid review of it if I'm not mistaken.

Mr. Leyvatone, Tiga and Jaymo like this.
  18. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

I like that it looks like candy corn.
    So, could anyone PM me the secrets to the EZ Locks?
    TJ turned me on to them. I love them, but I have trouble with the high E slipping.

19. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

Nice score!

FWIW, I disliked the tuners and nuts on all three of my SX guitars at first. But as we know, the nut is usually the culprit in that combination.

After some nut filing and lubing I have been content to leave the stock parts in place. Yeah, the tuners could be better, but they are definitely functional. I've even gigged confidently with the Liquid.

If you can deal with not having a trem function, then I would always advocate for blocking it (coins are my favorite block material). You get tuning stability and the benefits of additional metal mass has the obvious upside.

Tiga likes this.
  20. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

You're right he did. I may not be remembering correctly but I think he tried to compare this to Fender products (I may be mistaken I should rewatch it). The quality of this obviously is not up to my 2017 MIM Fender (which is really good). It is on par with my SX RST Strat, and maybe a little better due to a better paint/finish of the body/headstock. Aside from the finish though it has the same low quality (but functional) hardware of the RST. Both are very upgradeable.

nomadh likes this.