What A Rush....

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Milkman, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

So... this happened today:

IMG_0897.JPG

andrewsrea, DonM, kungphugrip and 6 others like this.
  2. Milkman

Play time, not review time bump.

3. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

Nice! I really like the reviews on these. Too spendy for me though. Hope it's everything that you want it to be and more!

4. Jofa

Jofa Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on it

5. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Efin sweet!

wanker likes this.
  6. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Very clean UI...

7. Milkman

Well, here are the reasons I started looking at a modeller/effects unit:
    • Want to be able to practice at home with the EXACT rig I play at rehearsal;
    • Portability;
    • Switching... it's nice to be able to drastically change tones without fiddling with switches and knobs in the middle of a session;
    • Experience... I'm still relatively new to guitar effects and amps - so it's nice to have all of these tonal possibilities to find out what I don't know.
    I chose this unit over one of the big boys because... price. I just don't need all of the options that the Helix LT or Headrush Pedalboard (or the Fractal AX8 & Helix), so the cost is prohibitive.

I chose this unit over the Line 6 HX Stomp because it seems a little more full-featured (the Stomp only allows 6 "blocks", this allows 11). I don't need all of the amp and effects options that the Stomp has on tap. I'm also very fond of simple, touch screen UI of the Gigboard. I'm not a tweaker by nature... I just wanna dial up some tone and give 'er!

This thing is VERY easy to use. In 20 mins, I had it out of the box, connected and rockin' with a basic AC/DC tone, complete with a lead "scene", which was the basic tone with a clean boost and smidge of delay.

I've yet to try it though my powered speaker (a Yorkville NX55P), but it sounds very good through my Audio-Technica ATH-M40X headphones. It feels very convincing too. I have limited experience with amps, but almost all of my experience comes from a Traynor YCS50 tube amp and this unit doesn't make me feel like I'm missing anything.

I updated the firmware and used it as an audio interface with my computer too... no problems... easy peasy, lemon squeezy. I haven't recorded anything with it yet, but I imagine that will be pretty straight forward too.

So far, so good. Great tone, easy to dial in, and not so many options I get lost in tweakdom until the end of time.

I'll keep you posted. I have 30 days to firmly decide whether it stays or goes.

8. Milkman

Oh! I forgot cables! I’m sick of cables! Aaaarrrrrgh!

9. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Congrats. I know my Eleven Rack is really easy to use, and sounds good. This is made by the same folks, IIRC, so it is high up my list.

10. Milkman

I plugged it into my powered speaker last night, wound it up and.... wooooohooooo! It sounds pretty good to these old ears! I think we have a winner here. Got a jam session on Thursday, when I'll put it through its paces. I hope to try it without cab sim into the loop of my amp too, just to see what that gives me, but I'm pretty satisfied with the powered speaker option.

Haven't tried anything fancy yet, but I'll put some impulse responses in there soon and give them a go.

I'm really glad to have everything in one little package, and being able to set up and practice the exact rig at home is going to be great. Just have to get the different song patches dialled in and volume matched and then I think I'll have a little hardware sale.

Kraftwerk and BrianSkeezer like this.
  11. Milkman

I took the Headrush out to rehearsal last night. It performed VERY well through the powered speaker.

The bass player was pretty impressed with the unit, and the UI in particular. He owns an AX8, and really loved how simple the Headrush was to use, and found the general tones available pretty pleasing as well.

The other guitarist, who's a bit of a guitar luddite - but not hugely experienced in the world of amps and pedals was very interested. After the session he sat on the floor for a while tiddling and tweaking while I played... in 10 minutes, he knew just where to go and what to do to modify tones the way he wanted.

I also plugged it into the FX return of my amp. It was okay, but not as exciting as it was through the powered speaker. I think this is mostly because it's a 1x12 combo, so you lose out on all that 4x12 goodness that's modelled in the Headrush. I will try it through the other guitarist's JVM 210 and 4x12 in the future to see how that goes, but I don't really think it's worth it.

I will also be trying the pedal using the four-cable method (4CM), using the Headrush for effects only to see what we get. That amp has quite a few options available, so I should be able to ring up quite a variety of tones pretty easily using the Headrush to control the amp channel.

So far, I'm pretty impressed. I haven't really dabbled in modelling since the bad ol' days of the Digitech RP200 and Line 6 Spider IV... both of which I still have. This (and other modern modellers) is in a whole different league.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  12. Milkman

Just an update here....

I love the HeadRush Gigboard, but the USB connection abruptly quit on me a few weeks ago. It just can’t be seen by any computer at all.

Took it back to the seller (Long & McQuade), and they’ve shipped it off to HeadRush. I’m expecting a replacement here along the way, but I’m quite disappointed to say the least.

If they do issue a replacement, I will seriously consider selling it and getting a Helix LT instead, though I’m quite fond of the sound and usability of the HeadRush.

PsychoCid likes this.
  13. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

That's too bad.

The Gigboard tickles me, but I am just not playing enough to justify it (that and I am shopping for a car). And the 6505 through the Mesa 2x12 sounds sooooo good.

jam likes this.