What Do You Suggest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brooks323, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM.

1. brooks323

brooks323 Active Member

nomadh likes this.
  2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

3. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I would choose one where the description at least states what wood they use.
    So, for me, the monoprice would be out unless there are a bunch of avid guitar players who can vouch for the sound and playability.

I'ld go Furrian, cause it costs less, you get a good quick return policy with Rondo if ones a lemon,and you know your getting a solid body wood of Alder with a maple neck that has usually reviewed well, and is relatively inexpensive. For the cost savings, you might be able to upgrade pickups. I would likely go Furrian P90 version. The SXP90's sound pretty good to me, a little growl and punch, better to me than generic modern singlecoils.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product9663.html

The Thomann looks nice. I'ld have to hear more about its playability and sound.
    ( having just read TMC's review, I like the Thomann option for tele single coil. I may still vote Furrian P90 cause those SX's are nice sounding and I like P90s more and more over modern single coils.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    andrewsrea, Gergo and Cozmic3200 like this.

4. Partscaster

5. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I have had my sx tele for many moons now and it is a beast of a tele. It was actually pretty good out of the box with the typical import shortcuts being the electronics, but it made a heck of a mod platform. A squier tele of the used market would be a good option as well, especially the classic vibe models but may be a tad over what you want to pay, but really no mods required on those.

6. brooks323

brooks323 Active Member

Yes I've been looking at the Vibes but that price but then again upgrading will add to the price. I just hate those vibes necks which are thin. They have the G&L listed for $299 at musician friends. The price is killing me but i hear their great. Might not need any upgrades for G&L.

jtcnj and Mossman like this.
  7. brooks323

brooks323 Active Member

8. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

It's not solid rosewood, just a veneer. I've changed the pickups and entire wiring harness, rolled the fret ends and the edge of the fretboard, but other than that it's stock. Great guitar for the price. Light and resonant, slightly thinner than an American Standard Tele. I always get compliments on its looks.

Cozmic3200 likes this.
  9. Cozmic3200

Cozmic3200 Member

I've had experience with both SX and Harley Bentons, none with Indio.
    The SX Teles are nice, and you cannot beat Rondo for support. I've found the SX to be a bit " rough" and more prone to finish and cosmetic issues.
    Construction is fine, and with a bit of money and some work they make fine players.
    Harley Bentons are also well built and have a more finished look, but sales and support in the US is spotty.
    Both could use the normal upgrades (electronics, tuners, pickups etc.) to take them to the next level, but should be adequate as is.
    As others have stated, there are a lot of options available in your price range.
    You also might consider a used instrument, there are some nice guitars out there for not much $$$.
    Between the choices you have listed, I would lean towards the Harley Benton. Better fit and finish, but the SX is a close second.

10. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I would suggest the Squire Classic Vibe. Best out of box value where you will not need to upgrade anything. The others have cut too many corners in my opinion which means day 1 upgrades and even after you are done, it is an inferior guitar with less resale value.

Partscaster and uwmcscott like this.
  11. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

Classic Vibe all the way. No upgrades needed. Watch Reverb closely and you can have them at your door for ~$300 TTL.

uwmcscott likes this.
  12. MarkW

MarkW Active Member

Out of the choices provided, I’d go with the SX. Rondo’s easy return policy wins.

13. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

The CV's necks are average imo. I don't get the skinny consensus from people. The vary slightly through the line, but that's expected.

The right SX is a lucky bonus in regards to the necks. That flattish feeling neck you can find on some models is just about perfect for a $100+ guitar. Then again everyone complains about the radius. Personal preferences...

What's your budget?

Mickey likes this.
  14. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I have a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele, and that guitar needs no mods (and I'm a compulsive modder). The stock pickups sound fantastic and the hardware is solid. Fretwork, fit and finish all top-notch. The only mod I would make is to replace the switch with a 4-way, but I do that on all my Teles. You cannot go wrong with a CV. They definitely outshine an MIM in my (and a lot of other people's) opinion, and you can get them used pretty cheap if you want to save some money.

The Furrians are solid guitars, but they're kinda famous for having badly cut nuts. If you're comfortable replacing the nut, then that will be a good option. If you get the P90 version, you might not even want to replace the pickups. But the saddles and electronics will need upgrading. Otherwise, everything else is good. I love the necks, and I've never had to file any frets on an SX guitar or bass.

I've never owned a Harley Benton, but considering the hassle of returns, I'd say buying from Rondo would be a safer bet.

The Monoprice guitars have been getting some buzz lately, but I think you can do better.

15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

andrewsrea, Mossman and toomanycats like this.
  16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I like my SX ash tele a lot but it did have a weird issue that it seems I am the ONLY person it ever happened to. My nut is a mm or so too far back from the 1st fret causing some tuning issues. I still want to mod my nut but its working. The main design difference between sx and a std tele are a flatter radius and decent but not twangy pickups. Also on the ash model the contouring really does make it more comfortable.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 3:37 PM
  17. jjudas

jjudas Active Member

I've had 3 SX Furrians. I only kept one... The Ash Furrian with neck binding. They all needed new nuts though.

I recommend the Squier CV Telecaster.

Mossman likes this.
  18. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I have two SX Furians and love them. I've modded them up but the Swamp Ash is every bit as good as my Fender MIM 60th Anniversity edition.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mossman, jam and Partscaster like this.
  19. Partscaster

cheapest Squier CV tele
    i find is 259 + 55 shipping.

Vintage modified models about same.

I dont see any used Furrians on reverb, only one used on ebay at a price greater than new.

20. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Look out for B stock or sales from Rondomusic.com would be my #1 suggestion. You likely won't find one cheaper used because people want new or better prices quite often for SX on Reverb/eBay it seems...

If you are patient, you can sometime snag a used CV Squier at the $200 range that will be needless of improvement.

All of the Squire teles, even the Affinity line are darn nice, though they were nicer when they weren't $200 new despite being the exact same thing they are now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk