What Kind Of Epiphone Pickups Are These Anyways?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by Gergo, Jun 14, 2019 at 12:58 AM.

1. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

I recently acquired one of those new Epiphone Moderne Korina reissues. The pickups are listed by Epiphone as being Alnico Classics in the neck and the Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge, and I really did not care for them, especially the bridge pickup. So I pulled them out, and found this.
    IMG_20190613_175820.jpg
    Now, unbeknownst to me until after I pulled them, these pickups have four leads along with the ground lead. The extra two leads were neatly tucked under tape. I had always thought that the Alnico Classic and the Alnico Classic Plus were simple 2 lead pickups.

So I started thinking that possibly Epiphone made a mistake and their description and that these are actually the Alnico Classic Pros.

So here are the numbers on the backs. the thing is that these numbers are not exactly the same as the numbers on the backs of pictures of the Alnico Classic Pros that I have found on the internet. The difference is that on the pictures that I have seen on the internet, the model numbers were:
    ACPNHBN-4
    ACPPNHBB-4

As you can see, on the pickups I have, the N's are replaced with G's.

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is, and what it is that I have?
    Thanks
    PS: Oops....Emergency Prepardness Plan was not included

2. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I have a few sets of those (I think those are the right #'s) based on Don Mares recommendation. He gives them high Mark's. I've been keeping them on standby. I might put them in that Squier SG. I'm not big on those DD sets in there.

3. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Cool. Do you know what they are? Are they Classic Alnico Pro's? Do you know what's up with the "G" in the numbers instead of the "N"?

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Sorry. I was going by memory. I pulled mine out & they're the Alnico Classic Pros ACPNHCN-4 & ACPNHCB-4. I have no idea those inner letters on mine. Alnico Classic Pro Nickel Hardware Chrome Neck- 4 wire,?

Is the Moderne gold hardware by chance? GH=gold... Alnico Classic Pros Plus?

Didn't Epi electronics also have a Premier signification a few years ago?

btw- I removed the covers on a set of mine to use on my Squier Duncan Designed SG thing. One pickup (neck) is zebra.

Gergo likes this.
  5. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

Are they gold hardware/covers?
    Maybe classic plus and classic plus pro?

Gergo likes this.
  6. notme

notme Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that a few epi alnico pups are help back by poor caps, and come to life with some quality replacements.
    I have a set from an sg400 to experiment with.

Gergo likes this.
  7. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Actually, you nailed it. I ended up putting this post on the Facebook Epiphone collector page, and they set me straight. The hardware on that Moderne is gold, so duh. The N on yours is for nickel, so the G on mine stands for gold.

It's odd because Epiphone got the specs wrong. They listed the guitar as having Classic Alnico and Classic Alnico Plus. In reality, they have the Classic Alnico Pro. There is a difference between the Classic Alnico, and the Classic Alnico Pro series

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 1:02 AM
    fullonshred likes this.
  8. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Yep! Mystery solved. I should have figured it out. G stands for gold. Duh
    It's a Classic Alnico Pro, and a Classic Alnico Pro Plus