NSFW What's On Your Work Bench Today?

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by MadJack, Jan 22, 2014.

1. kojdogg

kojdogg Member

I recently picked up a Squier Mini for $40 off a Craigslist ad, then swapped in a red/blue/gold Lace Sensor set, a set of unstamped Callaham saddles, Wilkinson tuners, CTS pots, a CRL switch, Switchcraft jack and Russian PIO tone cap. This thing shreds!

Attached Files:

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Laying out for a set of ten Shock & Awe military issue guitar straps, v.5 I believe. Individually numbered in series since v.2, these end at #53, #50 is already spoken for

4971d7569c48e81d853086acc9999127.jpg

The trick here is to divvy up the insignia so these straps all have a somewhat equal amount of "menacing cool." These patches go on 3" wide olive drab Korean war webbed cotton strapping I grabbed up from a military surplus place maybe eight years ago. 3,000 pound test can handle even those AL 3100Ms! I purchased all the strapping that they had at the time. These don't look like much right now, but after the patches are sewn, I add strong and highly functional nose and tail assemblies and tastefully "relic" the body of the straps up with all manner of micro aggressions, maybe a little blood, burning, AK47 fire, rasp shredding, etc.... when complete, these appear to have been through a war zone, or at least a few of your really crappy gigs.

Well-Hung Shock & Awe guitar straps are padded out super nicely in the shoulder, and I add my special double D-ring tail assembly that provides these slings the ability to go from about 46" to over 60" long. Most players on AGF will probably sit in the 48-55 zone, but I do get the odd request for 60+

This item has been one of my more-beloved straps by Well-Hung customers. Sort of a flagship for me. They are super time intensive, but in the end all the detail that goes into these is impressive - There's been the case where one of these was stolen from a customer during a gig, the crook left the guitar behind. :D I figure I can have these ready on Reverb by early December. #50 is a custom order fast track, for a reverb customer who missed his chance on my last one in the store. I'll also be shipping a couple of these to a nearby city guitar shop, they typically sell within days of being put out on the racks for gear hounds to snatch up. I have also made these as personalized customs to celebrate an individual military career, that become treasured heirlooms for ex-military folks. All you need to do is collect your badge

Something for you guys to watch out for anyhow

nomadh, pirate19, zacsdad and 2 others like this.
  3. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

I picked up this cheap Johnson mini Strat I didn’t know it was a mini til I picked it up. Re shape and repaint 1CD4821A-8C2B-4E42-A002-E05E3F5D6777.jpeg 2D6613A9-CE15-4D34-8B07-B6B27BC65859.jpeg

4. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Few things going on and a few more due up next.

First is that Hondo RR i just picked up few weeks ago, got it tore down and the headstock glued.

hondo1.jpg

Humbucker was a cheapo, so i put in a G&B DBZ Diamond, which i think i got from slaveunit, 15.2k, middle pickup was good, neck was open, so i rewound it. Full sized pots, Oak grigsby 5 way switch. Hondo locking trem was junk, (it wasn't the schaller model) i had a cheap Ebay licensed floyd so that was routed out and installed. Going to list it locally for $200 firm or trade for a blown up tube amp, my favorite weakness. It actually plays pretty good, very low action, letting it settle and will redo the intonation one more time.

hondo2.jpg

RCA 6l6 theater projection amp redoing for a friend. 1946-48 era. Basic gutting and redoing 90% stock. Gain out the wazoo going into the mic jack, had to cut it back some.

rcalampamp.jpg

Some secret tubes, i got from a secret website that does not appear in Google, i got a very very good deal, going to slowly order some other rarities until the owner catches on.

6c10.jpg

Lets see, projects up next. Gibson Maestro fuzz, like our friend Keith made famous, the very first fuzz boxes. Still tweaking the Rangemasters though they are completed, have 100 Russian GE PNP transistors coming from eBay. Also found a Ukraine seller of parts, i got about 500 GE transistors coming from him, at a very very good price again.

gibsonfuzz.jpg

And what nobody seems to have, want or try to build, 3-p90 strat. This will go into the red Squier strat i bought earlier in the year which i haven't even touched yet. Stratosphere had listed these pickguards and I figured, why not.

strat3p90.jpg

5. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Oh boy! PM'ing you shortly! These are easily my faves from your strap lines!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  6. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Just finished this up for the boy, hopefully it lasts a little longer than his first one.... 7576d18c246ed1a596b9e0e7cb6591b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

3 Things. First, a Peavy Rockster Marvel "Iron Man" shorty guitar I got cheap from ShopGoodWill.com. I'm giving it to my 4 year old grandson who's always tinkering with his dad's guitars. Fixed sharp fret ends by filing, then polishing. Checked and tightened screw that needed it. Washed it with Meguiar's Mist and Wipe then buffed out minor scratches and painted wall scuffs with Meguiar's 105 Ultra-Cut Compound. Lem-oiled fretboard and put on a new set of Ernie Ball 9's. It's needed a part for the bridge and a string through ferrule and had them in the extra parts bin. Set it up and it really plays nice. Sounds good too.
    IMG_5173.JPG

8. Mikesr1963

Second: A First Act VW guitar. I've been wanting one of these since they came out but being a cheap guy I soon forgot about it. Then on ShopGoodWill.com 5 came up in a month and I snagged one cheap. It arrived with the driest looking fretboard I've ever seen, missing one screw that held the car ID number on, loose input jack, loose tuners and tuner knobs with the bridge set at the absolute highest position it could be in, dirty dingy frets, and the pre-amp didn't work.

Pulled the battery from the pre-amp and the positive side connector was broken off the battery. Never seen that before. Removed the connector from the plug, put in a new battery, and the pre-amp worked. Polished the frets; no other fretwork was needed. Dropped the bridge to its lowest position and adjusted until no strings fretted out. It was decently low and so no truss rod adjustment was needed. Tightened and polished screws and chrome. Replaced the screw that was missing; found a match in the spare parts bin. Then used Lem-oil on the fretboard and put on a new set of MF 10 strings. After stretching the strings and playing a bit I checked the intonation and it was dead on. See the fret board photo? It still looks dry but at least it is darker; going to watch it and will probably need another rub down in a bit. Set it up and it sounds great. The strings are further apart on this more than any other guitar I have. IMG_5181.JPG IMG_5182.JPG

cornfed, stevebway, tvvoodoo and 5 others like this.
  9. Mikesr1963

Third: My wife saw me working on guitars and asked me to fix her Christmas sweater. Attached wire to battery lead.
    IMG_5178.JPG

nomadh, jtcnj and jam like this.
  10. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Love that V-Dub!

Mikesr1963 likes this.
  11. Mikesr1963

Yeah you know sound is better than I expected. Freaking jazz tones from the neck is really killer on my gear. The one thing I did not expect is the the pick guard, pearloid part is a thick sticker applied to the white and black pick guard. I am considering ordering a blank sheet and making new pieces.

jam likes this.
  12. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

I tried to follow your breadcrumbs to tube nirvana but came up short. Is it another ubuyguitars type pot’o’gold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtcnj likes this.
  13. mozz

6c10's aren't easy to find anymore. I found a website tube dealer and got a very good deal. Basically saying he can get much more money for the tubes he has.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  14. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Installing one of my AMI 'Koss' Bridge pickup and AMI 'Greeny' Neck pickup int @JAMES SCHAFFNER 's AL3100, with a coil cut (neck tone knob push-pull):

AMI Koss JS 1.jpg

15. mozz

No family website words to describe.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

nomadh, tvvoodoo, jtcnj and 5 others like this.
  16. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Oops.

17. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

18. proped

proped Active Member

19. mozz

Not a Gibson but Gregory. Either rebadged Silvertone or made by Danelectro. It's got 2 12ax7's and pair of 7189's on the outputs. I'm waiting on the guy to see how much he wants to spend, besides normal caps and the burnt output transformer, it may need all pots and sockets. It's a bass amp but i can bet it would make a nice 18w style guitar amp.

tvvoodoo and jimytheassassin like this.
  20. proped

proped Active Member

Got my third Tele yesterday. 2003 MIM in really nice condition. Ordered a new pickguard for it so I'll wait to restring and do a complete cleanup. Digging this color! 20181213_120656.jpg 20181213_121119.jpg 20181213_120856.jpg 20181213_120811.jpg 20181213_120723.jpg

tobijohn, jam, mozz and 3 others like this.