Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by MadJack, Jan 22, 2014.
+1 for solder smoke!!
I am almost ready to start another amp build.
Go to https://music-electronics-forum.com and ask there, these guys fix this stuff for a living.
I looked a little more closely at the spec sheets on the TIP142 and 147 transistors and I believe that I was confused. The schematic said 4mV but didn’t specify what type of volts, so I was looking for AC originally. I switched my meter to mV in DC and the setting I needed was not far away on the bias pot. What really tipped me off was I suddenly started reading zero AC in the same location but audio was clearly still working. I know I need some more courses in all this stuff but I am just happy I didn’t blow it up . Now I’m wondering what the AC measurement should tell me
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ac measurement would have to have a signal present. Your DC bias measurement should not drift.
Can you post the schematic?
That seemed true for now that i metered for DC. The balance is off so I may look into that further. While set at 4v on the tip142, I see about 3.6 on the tip147. But ya it doesn’t waver. The schematic says across both resistors (r22 & r38). I’m reading them individually.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this was a Burns Buzzaround, made into one of those old intercoms i picked up. Russian transistors.
This is the franken fuzz test bed, measuring collector current of q1, q2. One of these days I'll settle on a particular design then actually try to make and sell the first 36 of these.
Doing final set up on my newest SX Callisto modded to blacktop with all new guts, pups, bigsby, etc
The neck feels great after full fret level and primary setup.
Year number 4, 2020 of my "build 1 tele a year" projects. Body was from Reverb Eden guitar, 15% off, neck was from a local builder who sells on Ebay, needs to be fitted. Clapton, late Cream humbucker tele with strat neck, before he switched it to a maple strat neck in Blind Faith.
I bought a IYV Tele and Strat the Tele was good enough out of the box the Strat not so much. The pups are Destiny CNC Wound (same as in the Wolf and AIO guitars) and they sound great. I was going to pull the strings off give it a good setup and see what happened. When I started pulling strings the 2nd would not come out I ended up taking the saddle out still couldn't get the string out pulled the trem plate and one spring was not connected and when I pulled the pickguard there was a wire cut on the switch however the neck is as straight as an arrow but the frets have sharp edges however they're perfectly level. The body is laminate so I don't want to spend much on it and I budgeted $100 to upgrade it. Here's what I'm able to do. I buy my inexpensive parts from Guitar Parts Online and trust their products. I ordered a prewired harness w/full sized Alpha pots and 5 way switch, Sperzle style locking tuners, complete Trem w/steel block and a GraphTech nut (got that elsewhere). Total $119 for the guitar plus $101 for parts the $20.09 total taxes no shipping charges I had to pay so I'll have $240.09 in it with the rebuild and I'll have in a great Strat so even with it's problems this is a great deal at that price. Also after taking this guitar apart I am convinced it is made in the same Vietnam factory as the Wolf guitars are. there are a few quality differences but the biggest difference is the setup All In One Guitars does before they ship the Wolf and AIO guitars it is top shelf so when you receive one it will play like butter in your hands.
Little late to the conversation, but here is another good place https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php
Not guitar related... YET! LOL What's on my workbench right now is another workbench. Because my workshop is so small (single car garage) I'm building a 3-side flip top workbench, to hold my planer, jointer, and an oscillating spindle sander, to save space.
I am going to add hinged, flip up work areas to each side, since the tools are so tall, permanent work areas wouldn't work. I'll also add shelving to the bottom, and a drawer or "toolbox" to hold all of the associated parts and pieces to the sander, like the extra sanding drums, washers, and tools, because they would all fall out of the premade slots in the sander itself. I still need to add a little extra bracing, too, as I have about 200 lbs of tools on it right now.
The jointer is heavy as hell, so I need to add something else to the sander station, or just add some weight, so it's better balanced, thereby flipping easier.
That's some impressive engineering mister blues.
I also have a small work area I.E. a small shed and appreciate your space saving idea there.
Thanks. I've seen a ton of 2-sided flip top stations, but I wanted to kill 3 birds with one stone. Originally, I was going to make it 3 sided, but only use 2 sides for tools, then have a free workbench for the 3rd, but I figured I might as well use it for that third tool. I still need to make another, smaller, flip top cart for like a buffer and belt sander, so I may post pics of that, too.
I love this. I need a two sided one for my spindle sander and router. I'll tackle a project like yours once I get a second router to keep permanently mounted. That's not such a biggie, but I also want a 2" downward cut spiral bit for it - and that expense pushes it into the "after X-mas" category.
@solteroblues that is one impressive work bench your work space may seem small but looks like you are utilizing the space very well it looks great I live in a 600 sqft apartment so my work space is my kitchen table.
I’d have a lot more space if I finished installing some shelves LOL
That is some serious shit right there. Well done.
Separate names with a comma.