What's The Consensus(oxymoron) On The Blackstar Ht Stage 60?

Discussion in 'Amps' started by CyFan4036, Jan 6, 2020.

1. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I have a chance to buy one of these at what I think sounds like a steal. What's everyone's experience? Guy is willing to take $250 in mint condition.

2. AnotherJim

AnotherJim Well-Known Member

My buddy plays the Ht-60 metal and it is killer for metal. That is all I can attest to and doesn’t answer your question but the upper tier blackstarrs seem to be excellent amps. $250 seems like a steal.

fullonshred and CyFan4036 like this.
  3. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I play through a similar Blackstar at some of our band rehearsals (can't remember the exact model, but the control layout is very similar although it's a somewhat older model). It's fine if you like a Marshall-esque quality. I have to confess I've never really bonded with any Blackstar I've ever tried - it's nothing I can quite put my finger on but I just don't feel them like I feel a Vox AC30 or an Orange or a Fender Deville or whatever; they always strike me as slightly personality-less.

That said, you have to trust your own ears, a lot of people do like them, and $250 looks like a hell of a deal, so you could almost certainly get your money back if you decide it's not for you.

Gergo and CyFan4036 like this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Exactly the same....always good but something for me anyway always missing..just Meh

5. CyFan4036

I had a jtm45 clone at one point and just LOVED the clean to slightly distorted tones. I'm not into playing metal though. I guess I'll see what I think when I play it. I know the 70/80 speakers aren't Celestians best work so I was thinking those might need to swapped.

6. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

It depends on what you are going to do with it. Although, the Mark II is probably a nicer amp, $250 for a mint 1st gen is a decent price. It going to be a fairly heavy combo, pretty sure stock speakers were 70/80. Pretty much a Marshall sound, pretty loud.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  7. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I like mine, but I never really play it loud. I think the clean channel is very decent and the highest gain section I like a lot, but only in a very narrow band. If I deviate from the small band of EQ I like it sounds muddy to me. Think I read somewhere that is more the British sound.

For two-fiddy?? Sounds like a crazy lot of amp for small munney/ Even loch ness monster was gonna need about tree-fiddy.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Agreed that it depends on what you want to do with it. I had a HT club 40 for a while and it was big, heavy and LOUD. 20 more watts and another 12" speaker would only add to both of those categories I think.

$250 is a good deal but not a flipping price by any means. So if you are looking to blow the doors off a big venue it's probably a good deal, but if you just want something to goof around with at home and then make a few bucks I'd steer clear. You could spend $100 bucks and pick up an ID core and probably get close to the sound in a more usable package for home use.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  9. CyFan4036

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm trying it out tonight so we shall see...

10. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Really blows my mind that $250 for a mint HT Stage 60 isn't a good enough price to flip. I am not disputing that info as I do not keep up with gear prices new or used. It just blows my mind. I think they were selling for $750 or better when new. I guess I will be keeping mine unless $250 is all that stands between me and starving.

jam, CyFan4036 and thepezident like this.
  11. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

My logic behind that thinking ( maybe another oxymoron! ) was that it looks like you could likely find one on reverb or other places for around $300-350. Then factor in the selling fees, and shipping if you have to do it ( probably $50-60 right there ) and you are down to about $250. So if you needed an HD-60 it's probably a pretty smokin deal if it's local to you, but the guy is probably asking $250 for a reason - that's about what the market might bear.

The other factor is that it's a big-ass heavy amp, and a lot of people don't want that anymore these days with the quality/sound you get from SS/modeling amps. Kind of like the other thread just up the page about 4x12 cabs in a lot of ways.

fullonshred, tonray and CyFan4036 like this.
  12. CyFan4036

I just think this dude has more money than maybe common sense...or he just wants to clear space. He lives in a pretty swanky area so I don't think the extra scratch means that much to him.

fullonshred likes this.
  13. AnotherJim

AnotherJim Well-Known Member

You got that right! The cabinet is very big and the weight is not light. One guy could conceivably pick it up but it is some serious lifting

CyFan4036 likes this.
  14. CyFan4036

Bought it! Review to come!

peskypesky, arron, backinit and 6 others like this.
  15. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Yeah baby! If it were near me, it would be very hard to resist! Nice grab!

CyFan4036 likes this.
  16. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Too big and heavy for me....however....at that price I would have bought it anyway if close by. Good luck!

CyFan4036 likes this.