What's Up With The Gear Page?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Mossman, Nov 22, 2018.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

LoL but how would I $leep at night?

Frankenfretter and Mossman like this.
  2. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

on a pillow stuffed with $100 bills

(i think he may actually be right though, i saw a lot of people on there recommending like $200 straps, probably wouldn't want the neighbors to see them with something that cost less than three digits...)

3. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Well, the prize goes to @mozz! I tried turning off my VPN and the site came right up. Turned it back on again, and I couldn't open any threads. Turned it off again, and I was back in. Don't know why that should happen, but that seems to be the cause. Never had any trouble like this before, and I've been using a VPN for a few years now.

mozz, golem and voodoorat like this.

4. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

They may have the VPN blocked?

5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I had that happen here for awhile. First 1 browser couldn't get here from work so I used the other then a 2nd. So I went to a 3rd. Then 1 quit at home then a 2nd. Then a 3rd at work. Then maybe 1 on my phone. I cleared caches uninstalled, reinstalled. Other pc on same net were fine. Then 1 day it all cleared up.
    Never knew what happened.

Mossman likes this.
  6. Mossman

There's no way of knowing I'm using a VPN. A VPN just anonymizes you by routing your signal through different servers.

Mickey likes this.
  7. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

they'd see you as the connection coming from the vpn (it obfuscates the traffic between you and the vpn node but the connection to tgp would be coming from that node). if someone did something nefarious using the same vpn, they might have blocked that ip range or something.

8. Mossman

They could block one IP, but I don't see how they could block every IP that originates from my VPN provider. As I said before; there's no way of telling that someone is even using a VPN in the first place.

9. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I understand that, but some places block known VPN IP's. I've had that happen to me.

I run a small website and can assure you it is just as easy to block a group as it is to block a single Ip.
    To block a single IP I add it to my block list, to block a group I add 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
    to the block the entire internet. :) I usually only block groups
    if I get a bunch of hacking attempts from a particular ISP, I block the ISP.

Mossman likes this.
  10. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

Ive been in IS for 20+ years, my 12yo has been whining about not being able to get to gmail for a few months. Coincidentally his school owns a google docs package for all their online stuff so I figured it was him avoiding his schoolwork. Then I saw the issue occur. nothing but NOTHING resolved it. I searched for days, then on a little news server tucked away somewhere I found a notice talking about the "feud" that msft and google are having.Acccording to this article these "random seemingly unrelated issues will pile up over time, until the pc becomes unsable.

I flattened his HD and reinstalled from scratch, no go. It has to do with a combination of sites, games and certain hardware combinations. But because its so sporadic and rarely encompasses an entire "unit" no ones devoting much time to it. We have 12 pc's in the house. 2 of them are effected, both ones he uses on a regular basis.As I type iminstalling a VM and will load a small linux client to see if THAT will free his laptop. Ill let you know.

j

11. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

I had a mild interaction with someone there and was banned for a week. I complained that the mod was a one sided prick and got another week. Then I emailed all the mods and expressed my sincerity on how appreciated their cohesiveness is and it must be really helpful on office enama day so as to dislodge all the fecal matter they seem to be full of. I then won a lifetime ban award. Been about 3 years now. Think I was there an hour.

zosofan and BrianSkeezer like this.
  12. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

Almost forgot It comes up fine for me, logging in etc. Lifetime ban, maybe for mortals.

bc rich likes this.
  13. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

It's a buzz-harsh over there.

tvvoodoo likes this.