Who's got an Orange Micro Terror?

Discussion in 'Amps' started by RedLesPaul, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

I've seen Jofa's iPhone demo and it was awesome. Who else has one though and what do you think of it and do you have any recordings/videos?

I'm seriously considering either putting my V5 up for sale here on AGF if anyone might be interested or even trading it in on a Micro terror.

Why? Well, because I need a small (read quiet) amp for recording and general noodling, practice. I doubt I'll ever be in another band :sniff: so that's not an issue.

The V5 is a nice amp, it has Fender cleans and old school Marshall dirt, but more like a Bluesbreaker than a cranked Plexi or JCM800. "My" sound is more of the latter and I'm chasing, adding EQ, contemplating mods, etc., etc.

Yeah, I think many of you have heard me get some really good recordings out of the V5, but that is only with stacking, EQ, compression, some chorus and Echoplex to get it to sound like me.

The demos I've heard thus far of the Micro Terror are pretty impressive.

OK, so who's got input on the Micro Terror and am I thinking like an idiot here? :dunno:

2. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

I know you've said a bunch of times that your V5 gets pretty close to the old JCM800. I have a Micro Terror and with a boost, and through the right cabinet it gets kinda close.

I would REALLY suggest you try to go play one first to get the best idea of how they sound.

RedLesPaul likes this.
  3. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I have one and it's ideal for playing at home, which is all I do. It does nice cleans at home volumes, there's really not much headroom at all for that. It seems like it's really mostly at home doing crunchy rock tones. The headphone jack is a nice feature too, again for home playing.

I would think you'd miss the reverb on the V5.

RedLesPaul likes this.

4. RedLesPaul

Good advice and I agree. There's a GC 15 minutes away from work and I will on my way home one of these nights.[hr]
    Couple things.

1. Clean isn't that important to me at all, that part is easy, I have Pod Farm which has a pretty much perfect JC120 model, it's glorious clean - plus I have an acoustic :)

2. Reverb on an amp is NOT important to me at all and I never use it when recording ever (and neither should anyone else). My Marshall didn't have reverb either. I don't need it.

What is important to me is great overdrive at low enough volume to stay in my house.

5. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

I bought the matching little midget cabinet with it just cause I thought it looked cool. Plugged in to that, it's more of a novelty. Doesn't sound too good at all.

I have it sitting on top of my 5150 right now going in to a Mesa 2x12 w/V30's. Sounds massive and gets VERY loud. With the volume dimed and gain on 1-2, you get good cleans at more than loud enough volume for home use.

With the gain dimed and the volume on about 3-4, it's got enough punch to play classic rock. Nothing more than that though. You won't get in to any heavy rock/metal territory without a boost. I use a Mooer Hustle Drive (OCD clone) and it's good enough to practice with for me.

RedLesPaul likes this.
  6. RedLesPaul

If I were to go that route I'd use my 1x12 cab with it. The other thing I contemplating is the 1 watt Blackstar head, but I will have to play that one as well.

But If I need to run a compressor to boost it, it puts me about where I am right now.

7. stewiesguitar

stewiesguitar Well-Known Member

those were the two im still deciding upon. good luck in your search.

RedLesPaul likes this.
  8. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

Shame you don't like pedals... My TRex Yellow Drive is great. I've also heard good things about the Wampler plexidrive. Fastest way to low volume good gain tones is a nice pedal.

9. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

I have one, but haven't played it much. When I have played it, I have played it through the speaker in my v22. It sounded okay, but I would really like to try it through a 2x12.

Still waiting on the cab fairy to deliver one of those to my front door though....

10. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well for the price I think I'd just keep the V5, buy a micro terror and have both options available.

11. uwmcscott

I think that you'd be happy with the MT for that purpose. It has quite a bit of gain, and definitely at home use volume levels. I play mine through a Jet City JCAXS12.

RedLesPaul likes this.
  12. RedLesPaul

I think that's the same cab I have. How's the headphone out? Useable for recording, or is it fizzy? The V5's headphone out is fizzy.

13. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

I think Jofa did a recording using the headphone out and it was pretty fizzy. Check his youtube channel.

14. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

I have one, nabbed the head with the cab for 100 bucks on CL. Amazing little amp and puts out incredible tone for the size and price. Ill do a video clip later tonight if you want but it's fantastic. I wouldn't use the headphone out for recording but the amp sounds great. I have it for when friends come over to jam and everyone loves it.

15. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Thats where the Little Blackstar's excel, imho over other options, including the MT. No Fizz on the Blackstars Emulated out/HP tap. It really is pretty darn good sounding. LOTS of vids and recordings of them out there, recorded from the em ou/hp tap

That said, you really should try both the HT-1RH and the Micro Terror. Particularily on the HT-1, make sure the ISF is enough EQ for you.

16. RedLesPaul

Yeah, the demo that I heard of the Blackstar is VERY good, but it was recorded very well with a mic too and that makes a big difference.

17. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

What is nice, is the Headphone/Emulated out, disables the need for a speaker load, so its silent recording/playing if you like. Don't even need the speaker load hooked up.

Here's some nice soundclouds of the HT-5 emulated Out (same as HT-1, except you can choose 2 simulated CABs, 1x12 and 4x12. HT-1 is just the 1x12 I think)
    HT-5 Emulated out1

HT-5 Emulated Out 2

Google Blackstar Emulated Out

Quite a few vids comparing emulated out recording vs MIc'ed Speakers, like:

RedLesPaul likes this.
  18. uwmcscott

I'd also agree that the headphone out is average at best. For me playing at night when the kids are in bed it works, but there is some fizz and it's not recording quality. I guess for 100 bucks and change you can't expect the world.

19. RedLesPaul

Very true you can't.

Although we recorded some demos on a Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder in a Berklee (in Boston) dorm room in '86 and our "amp" was one of those orange Boss overdrive pedals (which was probably $100?) and it came out really good believe it or not. I wish I had a copy of that demo actually :lol:[hr]
    This one is pretty good, a bit thin, but the whole recording is thin, so that could just be the mastering. The quality of the guitar tones is very good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AJewAJuodl8#at=160

20. MadJack

MadJack Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

I like my MT. I primarily play it through a Seismic 212 with a WGS Reaper and a Retro 30, when I want to play some harder stuff. I play it through a Kustom Defender 112 with a WGS Green Beret and my own closed back panel for more 70's harder rock styles. For it's price and size, it does really sound good, but I find with either of these two cabs it can be hard to get the speakers working enough to get into their sweet spot without getting too loud for bedroom practice. It is definitely worth tube rolling the tube in this little bugger, the tube brand and type really do make some decent changes to the tone. It plays well with my RAT II and GFS Greenie Classic (TS-808 clone), for when I want something higher gain, up to verge of Metal territory.

fb0a47f8e75d4fbb3520dd0a9912509d.jpg

RedLesPaul likes this.