Why does Agile ST get inferior reviews than SX?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sly_d, Jan 27, 2009.

1. sly_d

sly_d New Member

It's weird. All Agile I bought were better than SX. And I tried many SX Strat, and I do NOT think they are better than MIM Fenders. By far. Does peopel rave about SX just because they are cheap?

I can't possibly think that an ST-802 is not head and shoulder above an SX SST. My memory of SX SST is fret buzz and orange necks.

I used a MIM Fender for a while and it was way better than SX (the wood, not the pickups).

Does anyone have experience of Agile ST-802 or ST-1000? How do they compare to Fender MIM?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 28-1-2009 by sly_d]

2. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

the Agile IS head and shoulders above the the SX SST

fret buzz is can be fixed very easily. and even $3000 + Gibsons and PRS guitars come with fret buzz from time to time

did you strip the finish off of both guitars and inspect the wood? and how was the wood "better" on the Fender? i don't understand that

i've owned 2 different Fender MIM's, and i currently own a Agile SVT MN

the Agile has better hardware (Wilkenson bridge, Grover Tuners). the fit and finish were MUCH better from the factory (frets, paint, ect...) and overall it just plays better and much smoother than both the MIM's

i've since swapped the pickups for GFS premium texas alnico's and refinished the entire guitar.

if somebody offered to trade me a brand new MIA Fender for it, i'd tell them to get lost. i will NEVER sell this guitar

3. Gplayer

Gplayer Observer

The ST1000 is probably the most overlooked , underrated guitar in the Agile line.They're an excellent Strat style alternative. ;)

[​IMG]

despiadado and stevebway like this.

4. crzy410iss

crzy410iss New Member

I WANT AN ST 1000 OR 1600.

SXs just get good reviews cause of the fact that they cost 80 bucks.

5. wurstburst

wurstburst Well-Known Member

My Agile STV (the lowest model in the Agile ST line), is a very nice playing guitar. Nice neck, good action - good quality feel all-around.

I don't love the pickups, but I think that's because I'm more of a humbucker kind of guy.

6. sly_d

sly_d New Member

Ok... when I said the wood, I meant what's not the electronics or pickups. Neck wood, fret work, body finish, etc.

I played on a MIA and it was not even in the same universe than the SX SST. And I'm NOT a brand snob. I prefer Agiles to any brand I tried before (Dean, Epiphone, Ibanez, ESP, Hamer).

I can totally believe that the Agile ST are comparable to MIA.

Do they used jumbo frets? One of the thing I prefer from Fender is the medium frets, although I can deal with jumbo if the axe is excellent.

7. Mrpageisgood

Mrpageisgood New Member

Kurt we need some TC and strat style Agile options!!!!

Checkered.... NO
    Pot leaf... No thanks
    White with rosewood fretboard... Please No

Butterscotch, blonde, natural, koa, surf green, black, heritage cherry, etc.

8. ibanezplayer470

ibanezplayer470 New Member

do they still make em?

9. Gplayer

Gplayer Observer

I posed that question, just yesterday. I see there are still ST1000 lefty's in stock. But, haven't seen new ones in a while.

10. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

Agile TC-630 are in stock right now. Creme and 2ts, both with maple fretboards

11. crzy410iss

crzy410iss New Member

anyone want to sell an st 1000? maybe?

12. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Well-Known Member

I love my MIM so much better than my SX. Both are nice guitars. But the Fenders just have a "feel" to them. I think its the neck shape..

13. Mrpageisgood

Mrpageisgood New Member

I know... That's why I'm asking for other colors

14. chibimike

chibimike Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Because the Agile costs 2.5 - 3x what the SX does. Most people do factor bang for the $ into the equation.

15. Gplayer

Gplayer Observer

This conversation is going on a t HC , right now. A guy there says he'll sell one.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224554

16. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. I have 4 SX's and I wouldn't trade any of them for a MIM. I'm not sure if you guys aren't setting yours up or swapping out the pickups, etc. Once that is done, i'd argue that they are better than MIM's at a fraction of the cost.

howardlo65 likes this.
  17. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

my opinion..
    some times its up to the player to make the thing sound good or bad, granted sometimes the frets buzz, easy fix, and the neck is orange-ish.. i kinda dig it.. i think the strat body is perfectly designed.. its like a bicycle.. so perfect that the strat it has not really changed much at all in since it was introduced in the 50s. i look as the SX as having almost every thing basically right as a strat copy.. so close infact with about $150 or less worth or upgrades and you very close to bang on MIM or MIJ.. hell even a MIA.. i am constantly pleased with the tone of these CHEAP ARSE, Orange NECK fisherprice guitars... they will not play them selfs though..

Its NOT the Ship, Captain... MHO... if MY tone sucks, or MY playing is off or I a cant cut a cool riff... its operator error...
    for others it may well be the guitar.. not me though.

your opinions may differ.. thats what discussion is about.. peace

18. sly_d

sly_d New Member

Well, I never really made a major upgrade with high-end pickups on an SX. That's true. Mabe I'd change my mind.

I had a couple of SX that were great after a set up, and two others that actually needed a pro set up. I do not consider fret levelling and crowning as a "normal" set up. Nor do I consider changing the nut a normal set up.

These are technical mods very few people have the talent, tools and time to do. Agile I had never required that much work to be great. And I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid this type of set up.

But I do undestand that if you have the skill and time, you can probaly turn an SX into a great axe.

19. tdu

tdu New Member

Exactly. The SX aren't just a good guitar for the money, they are a good guitar period. A lot of us are modders as well. While the stock pickups and electronics an the Agile are better, they still are not what I'd be looking for. So considering I'd be performing the same mods, the guitar that costs under $100, and still has really good construction, is the one I'd go for.

There are a lot of people who would buy the Agile, and still not like the stock pickups or hardware. And it's not that uncommon for Agile's to arrive with wiring issues etc. Rondo doesn't check the boxes whether it's an SX or an Agile they are mailing out. So it's not surprising that some people might not be happy with what they get.

[Edited on 28-1-2009 by tdu]

20. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Well-Known Member

Yeah, these GFS Alnico II's in the PB sound incredible. I was getting some great Hendrix tones a few moments ago. This g-tar sounds more like a vintage strat than the American strat I used to own.

stevebway likes this.