Wildlife In Your Area

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by SKYDAWG, Apr 23, 2019.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I live in boreal forest country, on the edge of the great northern muskegs, before they turn into tundra.
    It would almost be easier to list what is NOT up here. Gators. poisonous anything, turtles. armadillos, possums.
    I have never seen a raccoon up here, but plenty in manitoba.

most common things you will see, moose, elk, black bear, deer, coyotes, foxes. There are wolves, and the odd cougar, bobcat, lynx and wolverines.
    Supposedly woodland caribou, but I've never seen one. Lots of mink and martins. Sometime the odd eagle bald or golden will roam in but never stay long. snowy owls, great-horned owls. magpies, ravens, gulls, blue jays, canada jay (or whiskyjacks as we call them up here), spruce grouse, prairie chicken, partridge, robins, grosbeaks, ducks of many kinds, canada goose, snow goose, quite a few sandhill cranes, and blue cranes. Lots of red-tailed hawks, the odd falcon. Only ever seen one kingfisher up here.
    beaver, muskrats, gophers, ground squirrels, weasels. Rabbits seem scarce, but there were many when i was a young lad. fart squirrels. tree rats of the small red kind.

fullonshred, jtcnj and SKYDAWG like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Seriously,

We got Red (Fox), Gray, 13 Lined and Black and Southern Flying Squirrels, Skunks, Possum, White tailed deer, Coopers Hawk, American Kestral, Red Tailed Hawk (Female lives behind us), Broad-Winged Hawk, Common Nighthawk, Red-SHouldered Hawk, Eastern Screech Owl, Great Horned Owl (Onw lives in Neighbor;s Tall Pine), Long-eared Owl, Mallerd Ducks, Coyote, Black Bears, Sea Gulls of at least 2 flavors, American Black Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy duck, Wood Duck, Muskrats, Beaver, Big Brown Bats, Deer Mice, Field Mice, Eastern Chipmunks, shrews, Eastern Cottontail Rabbits, Eastern Pipistrelle (bat), Hoary bat, Red Bat, Silver-haired bat, Least Weasel, Long-tailed weasel, Meadow Jumping Mice, Meadow Vole, Mink, Northern River Otters, Prairie Voles, Racoons, Crayfish, Red Fox, short-tailed shrew, Woodchucks, Brown snakes, Chicago, Plains and Common Garter snakes, Fox Snake, Northern water snake, Red Belly snakes, Turkey Vulture, Wild Turkeys, a crap load of song birds, multible cranes and related. That's just in my County.

https://www.lcfpd.org/lake-county-species/

jtcnj and SKYDAWG like this.
  3. cybermgk

Seriously,

We got Red (Fox), Gray, 13 Lined and Black and Southern Flying Squirrels, Skunks, Possum, White tailed deer, Coopers Hawk, American Kestral, Red Tailed Hawk (Female lives behind us), Broad-Winged Hawk, Common Nighthawk, Red-SHouldered Hawk, Eastern Screech Owl, Great Horned Owl (Onw lives in Neighbor;s Tall Pine), Long-eared Owl, Mallerd Ducks, Coyote, Black Bears, Sea Gulls of at least 2 flavors, American Black Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy duck, Wood Duck, Muskrats, Beaver, Big Brown Bats, Deer Mice, Field Mice, Eastern Chipmunks, shrews, Eastern Cottontail Rabbits, Eastern Pipistrelle (bat), Hoary bat, Red Bat, Silver-haired bat, Least Weasel, Long-tailed weasel, Meadow Jumping Mice, Meadow Vole, Mink, Northern River Otters, Prairie Voles, Racoons, Crayfish, Red Fox, short-tailed shrew, Woodchucks, Brown snakes, Chicago, Plains and Common Garter snakes, Fox Snake, Northern water snake, Red Belly snakes, Turkey Vulture, Wild Turkeys, a crap load of song birds, multible cranes and related. That's just in my County.

https://www.lcfpd.org/lake-county-species/

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

My lot backs up to a mostly-dry creek near the edge of town, so there is lots of wildlife. We have tons of squirrels, rabbits, and birds. There are a couple pair of owls nearby, coons are common, a woodchuck lives under the neighbor's storage shed, ..deer, fox, opossums, wild turkeys, and an occasional skunk.

5. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

I miss seeing the woodchuck we had at the old house.

Once, late Fall, I had a pile of leaves near the house, to be carted out to the "way backyard". Bugger gets the idea of ferrying the leaves into his den, one load at a time.. We watched from a nearby window, admiring the craftiness and dedication
    !

cybermgk and jtcnj like this.
  6. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Backyard.

deer.jpg bear.jpg

jtcnj, belleswell, tlarson58 and 4 others like this.
  7. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I live 2 blocks off of main street of a middlin' small former Cotton Mill town. In my back yard I have seen squirrels, chipmunks, possum, rats, hawks, black vultures, black snakes and one enormous groundhog that was black and so frigging huge I thought at first it was a black bear cub!

My parents live 1/2 mile from downtown of an even smaller former Cotton Mill town where I grew up. They have a nice place with a decent creek and a few patches of woods. We routinely see deer, possum, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, foxes, groundhogs, beaver, coyotes, owls, black vultures, hawks, skinks and the occasional snake.

8. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Birds: Pigeons, doves, seagulls, sparrows, robins, blue jays, occasional woodpecker, and Canada geese - lots of 'em lately! I saw a large hawk (4-5 foot wingspan) of some sort sitting on a broken tree the day after Hurricane Sandy. Never saw one before or since, but I guess they are lurking about. Some of the mosquitoes around here are big enough to count as birds IMO.

Mammals: Feral cats and dogs, raccoons, skunks, opossum, mice, rats, squirrels

Fish / Amphibians / Reptiles: Unfortunately, I don't think anything can live in or around the water near me. It's extremely polluted. Probably some blue claw crabs and maybe some bluefish or stripers passing through. Probably not much else. :sweat:

SKYDAWG likes this.
  9. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Poodlesrule likes this.
  10. mozz

Few years back our dog (peekanese) was barking inside the house, my wife opened the door to look outside and the dog bolted out. He chased a bear and 2 small cubs. Cubs went up a tree, i finally got the dog back in the house. Momma bear was running around between here and the neighbors yard, she finally disappeared and after a hour or so the baby cubs climbed down and took off running.

No more bird feeders, they tear them down and eat all the seed.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  11. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

I heard there may be some wild SKYDAWGs roaming the property tomorrow night. Apparently can be tamed with Jameson.....

SKYDAWG and RockYoWorld like this.
  12. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

^ @Mickey 's post for the win!

Mickey likes this.
  13. cybermgk

Might have to pack my 45 colt Blackhawk with bear loads, working in the yard.

14. hath74

hath74 Member

ca188c8657030627b91e0a06f5fdce57.jpg f8d26b2189ebe4fe4251b104b2b8013b.jpg 1381fdb981287c92611c6bfc8061d682.jpg 384f76cf94825e101c9030647deb2868.jpg eb19a5685956b8b9f449466417964807.jpg ef6df2560b092147a8485f1c3d429915.jpg 6b4257e8b326d4bba83658417d84cb5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtcnj, belleswell and jam like this.
  15. Poodlesrule

^^ some pics here.
    Moose!

@hath74 careful with the bread for ducks. Not too much, or alternates

16. mozz

Geeze, many years back i used to reload (still have the stuff), 300 grain jacketed hollow point for the blackhawk. I think i was using 296 powder, but it was more than you use for a 44 mag. With the 300 grain it had a nice kick, first time out it loosened all the screws in the gun. Locktite cured that. Blackhawk and my Contender, used to have lots of fun pushing the limits.

17. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Big stuff (moose, elk, bears), small stuff (foxes, racoons, marmots). Cougars, but they are rarely seen. Lots of raptors.

18. Dfb

Dfb Member

We have rabbit,squirrel,racoon,coyote,fox,deer.

19. Poodlesrule

The full menu!

Speaking of, there is a creature eating the tender tips of flower shoots around the house, a muncher.

20. cybermgk

Just started loading in Feb, 45 Colt is a lot of fun to load, from mild plink to chest through anus for a lot of animals.