Wow !

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by tonray, Jan 13, 2020.

1. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

This guy can play better with one arm than I'll ever be able to do with two.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Gergo, Raindog and fullonshred like this.
  2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Super Talent bump

3. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

I've seen a one-armed bass player perform back in the late 70's for a band called Moses Jones. This was even more impressive.

4. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Rick Allen the drummer for Def Leopard who lost his arm amazed me. I had a couple of strokes after my accident that caused my left arm and hand to not work as well as it did. Anyway he was the inspiration for me to relearn how to play I thought it was over but I also thought if he could learn to play with one arm well enough to preform at the level he plays I could relearn how to play well enough to play with friends. Now even though I'm not as good as I once was due to my hand's limited movement I can play again. I had to learn to play a little differently and some bar chords are are still very hard to form so I went back and studied chord structure and learned to use different positions that were easy for me form to get at least close to the same sounds you get from various bar chords. I can now at least play well enough to gig if that were to come up and I have no trouble at all now keeping up with other players while jamming or recording. IMO I can solo much better now and the reason I believe is because of in my relearning I also learned to really pay attention to the groove and melody of a song so any melody lines I play are no longer about licks, tricks and speed but instead I really try to lay the "lead" into the song enhancing it as an intricate part of the song that just sounds like it truly belongs instead of just putting licks together that I thought sounded good and playing as fast as possible with out exceeding the boundaries set by the BPM of a song. I realize now that my playing before my accident was not about me helping to build a great sounding song but was really just me trying to impress people with my playing and there's always one idiot at a gig that tells you that you're the best until you almost believe them. There's also that guy that has a brother/cousin whoever that can play circles around you funny how you never believe that guy.
    Anyway I learned to play again from a drummer in a rock band so it just goes to show that Rock and Roll is good for what ever ails you even after 27 operations.

tonray, Raindog, jtcnj and 1 other person like this.
  5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yea, the show must go on. When I cut open my fretting finger I did rehearsals all doing slide guitar. If arthritis kicks in its still my backup plan.