Wtf Was That At The End!?!?

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by rrobbone, May 27, 2019.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

The effects sweep he pullled out at the end of this clip -- :eek:

It looks like it's on his tone knob somehow, but he reaches back behind his leg right before he grabs the knob. I know pedals can do this, but if it's available as an onboard effect I want one. I'm currently looking for how this is accomplished, but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas?

RockYoWorld, Jaymo and Lamf77 like this.
  2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

It looks like he triggered some kind of effect with his right hand before going into that part. A sweeping envelope filter? He also looks to be using the tone knob, maybe to accentuate the effect.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    RockYoWorld and fullonshred like this.
  3. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Something monophonic I think. My Boss PS5 is monophonic and it gives you a similar effect when you try to introduce a second note while playing a note.

rrobbone likes this.

4. rrobbone

Ugh, I can't tell if he's sitting on an amp or something or if there's an effects box next to him he's reaching for.

I can do this effect in my DAW after recording, no problem. I'm pretty sure I can get that done in Helix as well and use the pedal to sweep it, but I'd love to have that ability onboard. I looked for a while last night, but no love.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  5. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

EHX Synth 9 maybe?

John 5 probably has all sorts of prototype stuff at his disposal. Maybe it’s something not even released yet.

Edit - setting #5 has that long sweep effect, ala 1984. It’s at least somewhere in the ballpark.

It looks like he might be controlling the sweep with the tone knob. He seems to be twisting at the same rate the sweep changes.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    nomadh, rrobbone and toomanycats like this.
  6. rrobbone

This is what's killing me. I want that effects PCB. I at least want to know what's powering it.

7. rrobbone

RockYoWorld and RiverDog like this.
  8. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

I have one of these and it's lots of fun but I haven't played it in a while. This made me want to get it out tonight and make some crazy noises. :sunglasses:

rrobbone likes this.
  9. rrobbone

I'd love to find one. Chappers/Capt looked like they were having a blast with it. I'd hang on to yours, they're pretty hard to find.

10. RiverDog

Wow you're right. There used to be tons available maybe a year or so ago but now I see none. I got the impression it wasn't very popular but maybe it finally caught on.

11. RiverDog

BTW, @rrobbone - if you like that, check this out. I saved it to my fav YT videos a while back because it's just killer. Probably the best use of a Source Audio Hot Hand I've seen.

12. RiverDog

@rrobbone I saw your post on TDPRI that you figured out what John 5 is doing here. What's the secret trick?

rrobbone likes this.
  13. rrobbone

I have no clue as to what he's doing in the vid. I was referencing the method I found and posted here, which gets the job done - albeit with mods that reach beyond what many guitarists would consider reasonable.

I'd still love to know what Mr. 5 is doing - even if it's just academic at this point - because I think that there's more going on than a simple tweaking of a stock tone knob. I definitely hear a filter sweep (or manipulation of some sort of digital parameter) via that "tone" knob.

However, the XY pad method a'la Muse guitarist Matt Bellamy not only makes that same feat possible, but it also opens the door to controlling any MIDI capable instrument or effect. One of my favorite methods of finding inspiration in music is to play with something that gives a myriad of options. I almost always find some weird combo that produces noise I've never heard before. I like to have that one unique noise or tone that is difficult to identify or deconstruct for the listener.

The method seems to tickle my muse in a way no other seems to do. It's the cherry on top, and I love when an artist does this (like John 5 does, a lot).

Now that I know the price for admission has come down since I first saw Bellamy's XY setup, I'll likely try it myself sooner or later.

Side note: Is it me, or is TDPRI getting a bit more elitist lately? Seems it used to be far more helpful and open to different ideas. Many of the threads with questions like the one I posted recently seem to get dismissive answers lately, when they're answered at all.

RockYoWorld and RiverDog like this.
  14. RiverDog

Gotcha

Yeah, TDPRI has definitely changed. I haven't been super consistent there over the years but from just hanging out briefly there lately, the increase in the number of threads that get locked now as compared to 10 years ago is crazy. Elitist yes - many are just downright nasty.

rrobbone and Jaymo like this.
  15. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Octavia in the effects loop. JK.

rrobbone likes this.
  16. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

You should have seen the reactions when I gave my opinion of the "27 club".
    I think a bunch got deleted, but I became persona non grata for not verbally fellating the "27 club".
    And, don't even think about saying anything about Jimi Hendrix that doesn't agree with "best guitarist ever", etc.

rrobbone and RiverDog like this.
  17. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

You can't see his feet, which led me to think he might be using the tone knob in conjunction with an expression pedal doing some sort of sweep. Might even be able to do it with a wah pedal if you're also using the tone knob. I like using a "telephone" filter on my Axe FX, but I had better musical results using a wah effect instead of a sweeping filter (is there really a difference?) a couple years ago when I was playing with it. I just use a wah with a flanger and multi-delay when I want to do a freq sweep live, but it's also usually doubled with the keyboard player, so I don't have to be perfect :p

rrobbone and PsychoCid like this.
  18. rrobbone

That's also true, the effect can very easily be done this way.

And yes, it's possible I've analyzed this far too much. I need to research a bit and see if the exp pedal in my Helix can send MIDI to an external source to be routed back through the unit again. I know I can include pedals in the loop, but I'm not sure about MIDI out to effects and back again.

I do know that this can be done with a separate MIDI exp pedal.

It was still bugging me last night, so I did another round of searches and found a product that's basically a pot attached to a PCB. Seems a bit complicated for all it's "simplicity" and it's not available yet, but it functions exactly how our guy J5 seems to be using it in the vid.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/nam...our-guitar-with-noatronics-onboard-expression

https://www.noatronic.com/#home

One knob, one cord from guitar, controls MIDI parameters from the guitar - all boxes ticked for that solution. Still, since this device isn't out yet - the effect is likely the product of one of three possibilities:

1. J5 has a homebrew device installed that someone cooked up for him that's very similar to the product in the links above.

or

2. He's running some sort of pedal through the chain that controls the sweep, while he further refines the effect via a tone knob, as RYW suggests.

or

3. There is some effects trickery going on post production. There are actually two effects triggered during the time in question. The first is a filter sweep type, and there's also a hint of a delay that fades in, then out. Not sure how you adjust two parameters at different times with a single knob.

3a. Maybe there's a deke going on with the tone knob a'la EVH, and he's not using it at all.

I'm stumped as to which is going on here. John 5 doesn't seem the type to add effects in post, he revels in the weird shit he coaxes out of a Tele, so it could be genuine. And yet, this is the only example I can find of him kicking in an effect like this (seemingly) from the guitar's controls.

Either way, I found a cool project for my next experiment in the XY pad. I just need a guitar to try it out on, but I don't have a keeper I'm willing to cut into for it at the moment.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  19. rrobbone

I had to look that Hot Hand device up, never heard of it before. That dude makes good use of it.

RiverDog likes this.
  20. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it was done in post, as this was a cell phone video of him playing live and is obviously just the tinny phone mic. I don't know why anyone would put an effect on a cellphone instagram video for just a section of a jam.

I probably just don't understand your predicament, but I'd imagine it should be easy for you to do this. I'm not familiar with Helix patches since I just have Fractal devices, but I'm sure you can assign the built in expression pedal to various parameters, right? On the Axe FX and AX8, you could assign the various frequencies to change with an expression pedal. Maybe that's why you said you could easily use an external expression pedal. I don't think it has to be MIDI, though. Just a usual TRS cable (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's MIDI).

On the Fractal systems, you can have the same expression pedal change all sorts of parameters at once, so you could also control delay or a phaser or whatever in conjunction with a frequency sweep or wah. Of course, that could become a cluster#$%& pretty quickly, but definitely possible.

And I'm not saying this to say that I think Fractal is better than Helix; it's just what I have and am familiar with it. I know you can make things that sound just as good on Helix. I have heard, though, that it's not QUITE as tweakable, but it does become more user-friendly because of it. I have no real idea, though, since I don't have a Helix, haha. I might get one some day, but I'd probably just spend the money on another Axe FX so I can just keep one in my band's rack unit and not have to lug mine around (once you go direct, you only get more and more lazy). That's off topic, though.