Xiaomi Mibox S

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by tonray, Sep 11, 2019.

1. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I want to give my highest recommendation to this little Android box. I got it for the new house.. And eventually a fiber connection. But using my phone's 4mbps connection it is absolutely flawless for watching YouTube on the TV or loading any Android app that can feed it content.

Took about 5 minutes to set up and positively great. About $65 and also has full Google Chromecast built in along with full Android capability.

A bargain. Don't need any TV monthly subscription with this.

IMG_20190911_212102.jpg

2. tonray

Killer Android bump

3. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

That looks a lot like the DNA box the local cable company offers. Probably is very much the same by your description.

I also have a Smart TV but this is a lot more convenient, offering all the streaming services I need and in UltraHD / 4K too, and allows me to record 4000hours of TV programs as timeshift service in the cloud - and I don't even have to record before the program starts but instead choose what I want to record after it's already on. Quite handy, although I don't much watch TV. Sometimes I do however, just last night I watched Interstellar in 4K and recorded the rest for today as it's a long film indeed.

Chromecast works too, but I have little use for that as the box has pretty much the same apps as my phone, YouTube etc...and also in 5.1 surround rather than phone stereo.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

tonray likes this.

4. tonray

I agree but it does come in handy for other users. I have the thing logged in with my Google account but if my girlfriend wants to see her Thai centric YouTube she can just cast from her phone instead of trying to login using onscreen keyboard which is a pain. She's also tech phobic and would not install Her apps on the box so better she can simply cast Her Korean Soap opera channels... Hopefully when I'm out.. Fa ha

deeaa likes this.
  5. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had that brand, but I've had two different little boxes like that. I loved them. While they worked. Neither lasted more than a month or two. One just stopped turning on, the other stopped loading any sites at all. I can get most/all of the apps I want on Xbox, so we just use that now. Good luck with yours...

tonray likes this.
  6. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I just Chromecast. Soooooo easy....

Of course my Samsung phone works to cast with our Samsung TV as well.

tonray likes this.
  7. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I use Chromecast all the time in the car and bedroom TVs but mine doesn't do 4K or 5.1 sound - maybe the new premium versions do, dunno? But those are must to me. I mostly really watch Netflix and a couple of 4K cable channels which provide also proper multichannel audio and have good movies etc.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

tonray likes this.
  8. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I have a Roku box on my dumb TVs and my main TV is a Sony Android TV. We have cable tv for the time being but we watch 95% of our shows on Netflix or Hulu. We used to have Amazon fire sticks but the amount of ads and crap interface resulted in switching everything over to Roku about a year ago. I like the interface a lot better.

tonray likes this.
  9. jgauker

jgauker Member

I have all fire devices on my TVs. So easy to add third party apps. I don't have any issues with ads.

tonray and Tsukiyomi like this.
  10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    I've considered these and might try one, but right now have several Fire Sticks around the house after ditching satellite 18 months ago (having had it on and off since the early 90's). I was using Kodi all the time until the last year or so and now a handful of apps - Live Net TV, TV Zion, Exousia, CoTo Movies as well as Prime (since we have it anyway) cover every base we need, including live EPL footie. All I really miss is an on-screen guide.

tonray likes this.
  11. tonray

Xiaomi, while not a brand known in America is a Chinese company that makes a wide range of very excellent consumer electronics...their phones very highly rated and well regarded here in Thailand too. I wouldn't buy the "no name" brand at the popup stores in the mall, likely they will function but component quality likely an issue.

Aullucci and Tsukiyomi like this.
  12. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

How does this work for you? Live sports is the last reason to overpay for stupid cable. I had kodi for a while and tried streaming a bunch of sports with little success. EPL is popular in my house too...

13. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    To be honest, between the apps mentioned above (I forgot to include Mobdro in that list, too) I have about 90% of games covered, especially those shown on NBCSN. Every now and then I'll get dodgy streams but can usually make up for them using Twitter streams that I'll cast to the TV.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Aullucci likes this.
  14. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I bought a couple of earlier similar versions that were sooooo slow. Absolute dogs but I can not remember the brand. Seems there was a Mi in the name though. My Lenovo chromebox that was hooked to my TV went wonky after two reset/refreshes so now I am chrome-casting and that sometimes is flaky.

Is this new one fast?