Yamaha Fsx 730sc

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by stevebway, Feb 23, 2016.

1. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

So I've been wanting to get a very dependable ,very good sounding ( electrically) gigging guitar. I don't like to take expensive guitars to the shitholes ( venues) I play.Many are underground with pillars, brick walls ,all kinds of obstacles and intoxicated people in them.I get nuts even when I get a ding on a cheapo guitar.I have an inexpensive Takamine and a Washburn I have turned into players that are my go-to's.I have a Yamaha AC3R all solid wood with very advanced electronics that I love. It's my recording acoustic and am very impressed with it.I wanted to get something cheaper but as close to the same as possible.

The Yamaha F line is touted as the best selling line of acoustics in the industry.They were introduced at the Woodstock Festival where several of the performers played them and the series became immortalized.They are huge sellers all over the planet.Over the years they have added different woods , shapes, sizes and electronics to the line.This one is at the top of the F tier.It is a small bodied acoustic,cutaway,solid Spruce top with laminated Rosewood sides.I would have gotten the Mahogany , $100 cheaper but this one had a more advanced pickup AND uses 2 AA batteries which is great.I hate 9V batteries.This one has 2 multilayer Piezo pickups which are proprietary and have a less nasal sound and the preamp has a widely sweepable mid . The tuner is excellent ,VERY accurate and predictable.
    The neck is NATO ( which stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization) and has a nice satin finish.The neck, the setup incredible for a mass produced guitar.Fit and finish are near flawless.

I played an entire set of material after it was tuned and was pleased as anything . One of the main reasons I got this one was the 25" scale which is shorter than my other guitars .I have small hands.
    I have run an Open Mic for years and play every guitar that comes in eventually.Because of my proximity to some of the finest guitar sellers in the region I have played the best guitars in the world and I understand what makes a great guitar great.

Yamaha acoustics are amazingly "engineered".They are mass produced but they are impeccable.They have owned their own factories longer than any of the big manufacturers so they know the worker,they have the best training and have the most tweaked manufacturing in the world and use the most advanced technology in effective ways.
    I could see punching out anyone who made fun of this one as a "cheap" guitar. It is the epitome of what makes the best affordable Asian instruments what they are. I know you understand this because YOU are the geniuses of cheap guitars. We don't have to kiss anyone's asses and make excuses for our preferences. We can silently give them the finger ( or not) back.JPG body.JPG Neck.JPG Preamp.JPG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    fullonshred, sloanfs, msc_ and 9 others like this.
  2. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

That finish is amazing, I like it a lot! Very nice guitar, Steve! What I know about Yamaha guitars is that they are high quality instruments; would love to have a Pacifica 120H (comes with 2 HB).

Enjoy your guitar!

Sabas.

PD: Oh, as with most Agiles, the neck looks stable in that picture!;)

stevebway likes this.
  3. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

HNGD! I have heard good things about Yamaha's commitment to making great guitars by investing in worker training and owning their factories. One thing is evident - you have a beautiful new guitar and I bet she plays like a dream.

stevebway likes this.

4. Cyphre

Cyphre Well-Known Member

I like that very much.

stevebway likes this.
  5. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

looks sweet-congrats

stevebway likes this.
  6. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations.

stevebway likes this.
  7. Mark W

Mark W Well-Known Member

HNGD!

stevebway likes this.
  8. mbroadus

mbroadus Well-Known Member

That looks great, now you'll have to find a beater to take to your gigs!

stevebway likes this.
  9. big daddy

big daddy Well-Known Member

Really like the finish on that - Great guitar!

stevebway likes this.
  10. SKYDAWG

SKYDAWG Well-Known Member

Love it. HNGD! I have the AC3R and it's a solid, quality guitar. Yamaha doesn't mess around. (y)

stevebway likes this.
  11. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Rare is the occasion anyone puts the brand Yamaha into the same sentence with the words "bad + guitar".
    They just work.

sabasgr68 and stevebway like this.
  12. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

Congrats! That looks great!

I have two Yamaha acoustics. Both bought last winter. One is an FG-730S and the other an FS-720S in dusk sun red burst. These are both really nice guitars that play and sound great. This from someone who played only acoustics for about a 25 year span during my nearly 60 years of playing guitar. Got back into electrics about 10-12 years ago. Find that I play these two Yamahas more than my early 80's D-18.

stevebway likes this.
  13. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I own one of those late '60s D18s considered some of the best made. At the time it was the only Martin I could afford but I HAD to own one.There were no middle quality guitars then. Back then guitars were mic'd and I was "against" soundhole pickups as unnatural ( why did I buy an acoustic ? ) That hugely bass-forward guitar howled and vibrated from feedback through a PA and recording on tape then sounded boomy on playback, especially through an SM 57 which was the mic of choice for everything then.It was overwhelming and I began to feel buyers remorse.
    Around 10 years later the Asian guitar phenomenon began.I got one of those Martin copy lawsuit Takamine concert steel strings a BEAUTIFUL guitar ,so comfortable to play.It recorded way better.IN the 80s when I recorded on a Portastudio ,you still couldn't roll off or notch lower frequencies adequately.More and more of my playing became on the acoustic.
    I have evolved over the years more as an acoustic player and stand up entertainer than as an "electric" guitarist as I haven't been part of a band for any length of time.For me , a recordist and troubadour, affordable instruments designed for live playing has been a godsend.Advances in feedback control, onboard amplification and EQ helped me to get an interesting sound in my style of playing which is heavy on Jazzy and R&B material.
    I own Alvarez, Takamine ,Washburn and Ibanez .Over the years I have come to prefer smaller guitars.I would love to own modern Martins and Taylors but raising kids and sending them to college left little for expensive guitars.

I consider the Yamaha a "gift" for patiently waiting for the state of the art to reach my preferences.To me it's worth thousands and in the same way the cheap electrics answers the dreams of the rockers,these acoustics have given me just what I need. This guitar I KNEW I wanted.It's beautiful in every way.

Edit: Check the end of this thread, me actually playing this one .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    jtcnj, mbroadus and howardlo65 like this.
  14. rambleon

rambleon Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That looks beautiful. I look forward to hearing it in action some time!

stevebway likes this.
  15. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

HNAGD!

stevebway likes this.
  16. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Yamaha makes some great acoustics but skinny ass necks!

17. howardlo65

stevebway, sounds like what you are doing now is much like what I did during that 25 year span playing acoustics. I was mainly performing solo and doing singer-songwriter type of stuff, much of it my own originals. Did also play mandolin in a very good bluegrass band during 5 or 6 years during those years. From the mid 70's (when I sold my '64 Jazzmaster) until the late 90's I didn't even own an electric.

18. crmartin

crmartin Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a gorgeous guitar, would love to have one myself. Congrats!

19. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

That's outstanding - beautiful from every angle. HNYD!

20. howardlo65

There is nothing better than a nice new acoustic!

stevebway likes this.