Yamaha Now Owns Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps' started by OMB, Jul 22, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Anyone that has been around here for a while knows I love Ampeg amps. They have been poorly owned and represented for soooo many years! I just saw that Yamaha has purchased them. Yamaha is a solid company so hopefully that will mean some good stuff down the road for Ampeg.

2. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

That's actually good news. Ampeg has changed hands so many times, the brand is a mere shadow of what it used to be. The last time I was shopping for a bass amp I wanted an Ampeg, but almost every time I tried one in a store, there was something wrong with it, so I bough a Fender Bassman instead.

OMB likes this.
  3. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

Not sure Yamaha is the best home for Ampeg, but at least they're not owned by Crate anymore.

Not sure this is gonna change anything in my world though, since the great thing about Ampeg amps is that their classic '60s and '70s stuff is cheaper on the used market than new reissues would be.

jimytheassassin and OMB like this.

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if Obeid still designs for them although that’s just as easy as asking him to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMB likes this.
  5. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Heard the guy has a temper. That being said, i know ground loops when i see them, he doesn't care. Some of the Crates and designs weren't really that bad, a few mods and upgrades make the amps much more reliable.

OMB likes this.
  6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Wow.

Etsy now owns Reverb, and now Yamaha owns Ampeg. Interesting things going on lately.

jimytheassassin and OMB like this.
  7. OMB

Yup the world don't stand still.

8. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Look what they've done for Line 6.

Ampeg will be just fine, and I get the SVT pro models to play with through my Helix!

9. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

SLM wasn't so bad. They were the first to reissue the hand-wired SVT and their Lee Jackson VL-502 amps were awesome.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  10. Beyer160

Well, no SVT was ever "hand wired" and the Lee Jackson stuff is a matter of taste, but you're right- it was Loud that bought SLM and shifted production to Vietnam and produced some of the cheapest junk to ever bear the name Ampeg.

andrewsrea likes this.
  11. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I think Rob worked for SLM and was an amp tech in STL for quite a while. Not saying he couldn't have made a mistake but... I'd bet money he didn't imagine seeing a hand-wired SVT at some point.

andrewsrea likes this.
  12. Beyer160

Ampeg adopted PCB construction in 1967, and the SVT was developed in 1969- all the originals used PCBs. Here's a shot of one of the '87 reissues:

Jun17_PG_CLM_Ask-Amp-Man_SVT-Skunk-Photo-4_WEB.jpg

Now, some of the amp was indeed wired by hand but that doesn't make it "handwired" like a '65 Gemini or Reverberocket. I knew what he meant though, I was just being nitpicky before I agreed with him about the difference between the SLM/Loud years, which I had irresponsibly lumped together in an earlier post. No offense intended.

jimytheassassin and andrewsrea like this.
  13. golem

golem Well-Known Member

@Beyer160 I understand and I don't take offense in the slightest.
    https://ampeg.com/products/heritage/b-15/ and the R12R are listed as hand-wired and made in the USA but I can't find an SVT specifically that was hand-wired at any time. With people designing the amps and the actual shop having been in STL, it could've been made as a prototype, a custom order, a pricey HW offering (just like Marshall and Vox offer) as I've linked to above. I don't doubt for a second that you're right that the vast majority of SVTs are PCB based. I'm just assuming that, as rare as they may be, Rob may be aware of rare products that have been built at SVT and may have even worked on a hand-wired one. Given that Obeid has been seen to still do builds of Reason amps (he was the designer but the brand went under) if commissioned to do one, it could even be a custom one-off from Ampeg parts found in STL. This city is heaven for trying to find old Ampegs and people who know how to fix them.

14. Pratteman

Pratteman Well-Known Member

SLM was one of the customers in my previous life, loved going over there for deliveries and see what they were messing with.

andrewsrea likes this.
  15. andrewsrea

True - partially hand wired. When I say this, it was to original design vs. some of the others which came out with cheap boards, ribbon connectors, etc. They were I think Korean made / USA assembled 'Blue-line' (1968) replicas. They were expensive and very good.

I was a certified SLM repair man from 1985 to when ever they were sold to Loud. As @Pratteman stated, they were very cool people and we would chat a lot. They knew I had a lot of experience with the original SVTs and sent me one to climb through and provide feedback. Borke my heart to send it back :(

Beyer160 likes this.
  16. andrewsrea

The output tube section was handwired and to @Beyer160 's point, the preamp was on a satellite board in the top of the head and their was a PCB in the main chassis. The originals had the drivers hand-wired also, but around 1970 they moved to having those direct mounted to the PCB.

So it was a mix of PCB and hand-wired (a little point-to-point components).

Frankenfretter likes this.
  17. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

I love Ampeg too. They’re an important part of the Made in the USA landscape. I can only imagine this being a good fit for both companies. It would be nice to see them bring back some of the really old Ampeg models that gave Fender a run for their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

After many years of owning all kinds of amps I settled on a 90's Ampeg Reverberocket as the "one". Followed closely by a later model J20, a Delta Blues and a C30. The latter three are neck and neck, hook me into either one and I'd be happy but the Reverberocket is king to my ear. $300 with a cover, can't be beat.

The vintage Gemini 15 I got from, @OMB was on par but man was she a beast to move around. She has a very happy home now with a steel guitar player and he loves her dearly.

A founding member of the Tonebenders and the bassist had the macdaddy Ampeg Bass head. It took both of us to carry it in and get it on top of the speaker cab. When he cranked it up the street lights would dim for several blocks. Sounded fantastic!

I don't know much about the new ones. I have a little Ampeg 25W MIC bass amp I use to amplify my cigar stomp box and it does the trick but not the same as their vintage USA made products.

I hope Yamaha restores the glory but I do not have much confidence. They're liable to re-badge them and phase out the brand like Fender did to Sunn. We'll see.

jimytheassassin and Lamf77 like this.
  19. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

I did not realize that ampeg was bought. They seemed to not be the main focus of their previous distributors. It will be interesting to see what happens.

20. OMB

SLM did some good stuff with Ampeg. LOUD...not so much and then recently they dumped guitar amps again so maybe...just maybe...