Yamaha Sg Or Sbg: Random Request

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by Patrick Brommer, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:31 PM.

1. Patrick Brommer

Patrick Brommer Active Member

Anyone happen to have a Yamaha SH or SBG? If so, could you measure the distance across the top horns and bottom? I’m on a mission to build one, have a mdf template derived from a picture, and cut it out roughly on a shapeless on piece SG rough cut I got off eBay for relatively cheap. But, the horns and the waist look really off to me - I think I cut the bottom too big (haha). So, just trying to scale it correctly. I think I didn’t push the horns far enough apart up to match what I did on the bottom of the blank.

tl;dr - if you have a Yamaha SG or SBG, I would love to have the the measurements across the top and bottom of the guitar.

Thanks everyone!

Patrick

2. Patrick Brommer

3. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Might wanna try TGP, I know for a fact there are a bunch of Yamaha SG/SBG owners there.

4. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Check with @guitaro

he had a couple at one point not sure about right now though.

5. Patrick Brommer

Not a member there. There might be other places to try to see if I can find it. If not, well, I will just make it look good by eye.

Patrick

6. fullonshred

@guitaro is a member here at AGF. He had at least 2 of those. Not sure if he still has one.

7. Patrick Brommer

I'll try to PM him and see. If he sees this, awesome. If not, well, I'll wing it: much like all of my projects....

fullonshred likes this.
  8. fullonshred

Good luck Patrick, and hope you share your build with us here at AGF.

The Yamaha SG/SBG is my dream guitar going back to my early teen days when a gorgeous one hung on the wall at a local music store.

Specifically I lust after the SBG1820LTD in Honeyburst Flame, though I would take the Black Flame model in a heartbeat too.

9. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I still have one, true I did use to have 2 lol. I'll send the measurements later tonight. Have to find the guitar first. I'm way too disorganized to have this many guitars.

fullonshred likes this.
  10. guitaro

Okay, I don't really have a decent tool to measure it and trying to hold the construction tape measure and camera made it worse but I think it is fairly close to say the widest width is just under 32 cm, like 31.8 cm and tip to tip of the of the horns is pretty close to 20.7 cm.

Sorry the pics came out crappy. Let me know if you need additional measurements.

IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG

11. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Hell, i'd just trace it as accurately as you could & take the trace to a FedEx & scan/copy it to scale in pdf. Without a 3D rendering that might be as good as it gets.

Is there a bit of a carve on the tops of these?

I'd like to add I'm in no way volunteering Guitaro even though I come off sounding so. Apologies if I do.

guitaro and fullonshred like this.
  12. Patrick Brommer

I've seen some carved a bit (belly cut) and some just solid. It looks like the level/model dictates carve/no carve.

I found an outline somewhere on the internet, and with the help of my coworker, we turned it into a drawing that our work's small Carvey (mini X-carve) made for us. It was a learning experience, as he's going to branch out from our work to do more career education/makerspace work with our region districts while I continue the teaching piece.

Patrick

PS I have a SE700 body I cut with the carvey and have traced and cut. I need to get a build thread and pictures, but just need to get to it (and find a witty title).

fullonshred likes this.
  13. guitaro

Yeah man, there is a lot of carve including on the horns themselves so if you do it flat there it's not going to look quite right. I can take some better pics later. Keep in mind that mine is a late 90's or right around 2000 model which is a little thinner than the old ones which are boat anchors. It's still pretty thick though. I can try to measure that as well. I don't mind trying to trace it but that might take me a little while to get to.

fullonshred likes this.
  14. guitaro

On mine the back is flat, no belly cut, but the top has a lot of carve to it including the horns which would probably be pretty challenging to match.

fullonshred likes this.
  15. fullonshred

Still love that axe, guitaro. She's a beauty.

guitaro likes this.