Yard Sale Orange Amp Definitely Borked

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by fullonshred, Mar 17, 2019.

1. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Just got back from a yard sale. Stupid me bought a Greg Bennett Cobra (Indonesia) that seems in nice shape for what it is, and an Orange Amp 20L. Guy said fuse was blown and I could find them at an auto store. No luck with that.

The failed fuse in the amp is a t630mA L 250v. Any idea where I could find one today other than Radio Shack? They are available on amazon of course but I want to try amp now and see if it works.

Here is what is written on back of AMP. Which one should I use, and is what's in the AMP a bad rating for my new old Orange?

100/120V –T630mA
    230/240V –T315mA

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    RockYoWorld likes this.
  2. fullonshred

BUMP for FUSE QUESTION

3. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sound like a small glass fuse 5x20mm. It's slow blow so you really don't want to put anything else in there besides that one. Sound like you have to order it, maybe a home depot or lowes or a automotive store might carry it, rated at 630ma which is .630 amps, less than 1 amp. Auto place may have one but could be fast blow.

nomadh and fullonshred like this.

4. fullonshred

Part of my question is there are 2 very different fuses spec'd on the back of the Orange Amp.

Do I need the 100/120V –T630mA as listed on the back of the amp (which i don't see even on amazon,

or is the 250v version of the T630mA that was in it when I bought it ok?

Or lastly, should it have the 230/240V –T315mA that is also listed on the back of this amp?

I don't want to buy the wrong thing and maybe bork the amp (if it isn't fried already).

5. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That writing on the back of the amp is for US or UK voltages. They run 220-240v over there so the fuse current would be half of what it is here. Now, on the fuse itself, as long as the voltage is more than what the mains are, it is ok. Hence 250v fuse is good for use here or over there, as long as it's the correct current. Confused yet?

You don't want a 630ma fuse rated for 32v, what you want is a 125v or 250v is fine.

nomadh, fullonshred and toomanycats like this.
  6. mark_morton

mark_morton Well-Known Member

Last time I bought a fuse for an amp got it from Harbor Freight.

nomadh and fullonshred like this.
  7. fullonshred

@mozz @mark_morton

Thank you both. I felt the 250v would be fine but didn't want to mess up.

The Greg Bennett is nice but does have a paint crack (straight line) where the neck joins the body on the High E side (Neck Is Stable!). I cleaned it up a bit and put on new strings, took pics but they sorxed.

Plan to try again on pics tomorrow and plan to clean up the Orange Crush 20L a bit and take a few pics tomorrow time allowing. Will do a New Guitar and Amp thread with pics when I get some decent shots.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. fullonshred

Here's a crappy teaser pic...... Greg Bennett Cobra CA2

• Double cutaway sculpted body
    • Mahogany set neck
    • Nut width 1⅝″
    • Rosewood fingerboard (12″ radius)
    • Dot inlay
    • 22 fret, 24″ scale
    • Chrome hardware
    • Grover™ A102C, 14:1 ratio tuners
    • Stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge
    • Duncan Design™ HB101N and HB102B humbucker pickups
    • 2 volume and 2 tone controls
    • 3-way selector switch
    • HH Duncan Design™ pickups

IMG_20190317_210122294.jpg

9. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Cool.
    Who's Greg Bennett?

howardlo65 likes this.
  10. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Music store has alot of Greg bennet guitars. They replaced their silvertone line with them.

fullonshred likes this.
  11. fullonshred

12. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm really much more into the iconic electric guitar styles but I've got to admit, I like the looks of that one. If I saw a lefty cheap enough, I might even buy it...

fullonshred likes this.
  13. fullonshred

Tobi, honestly wasn't looking to buy anything and haven't been for quite some time now. My sister texted me she was at a yardsale and the guy had a guitar and amp for sale at a price that seemed cheap to her. Wanted $40 for both. Asked her what they were and were they in decent shape. The shape is a little extreme for me even though I think the BC Rich Bich is one of the most beautiful guitars ever made, and I also own a BC Rich Mockingbird and a Jackson Rhoads V. I probably would have passed but it's a great feeling guitar with very decent specs for stoopid cheap.

The guitar is the Greg Bennett pictured above and I had read good things about Greg Bennett guitars and she said the amp was an Orange Crush. So I rode over as it was on the way home from my parents house. Guitar was in very decent shape and the action was good. Guy said the Orange had a blown fuse which he pulled and showed me. Said it had blown when he was trying to play the amp out in the yard on a long sketchy extension cord. I hope the Orange isn't borked but even if it is I still made out ok I think.

One good thing has already come of it. I cleaned and restrung the guitar, and then plugged it into the Tonebender Up The Ante Custom SCXD Head and Cabinet and played thru an amp for the first time in many many months and it felt good.

I feel like I already got my $40 out of the deal even if both have somehow magically disappeared when I wake up tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    toomanycats and CyFan4036 like this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Not looking for either but at $40 for both thats just buying it in self defense. Because I couldn't live with myself if I didn't buy it. He wanted you to buy it so much you're lucky he didn't threaten your dog if you didn't tale it :)
    Lots of good luck on the amp. I've been in both situations where just a tube or fuse is just the tube or fuse. And where they were the symptom and not the cause.

fullonshred likes this.
  15. fullonshred

Thanks nomadh. You describe the situation perfectly. I didn't even try to bargain with the guy. He told my Sis $40. When I got there I asked him how much just to be sure there was no miscommunication and he said $40 so I gave him two twenties. I appreciate the good luck wishes on the amp. I won't sink much money in it. I have fuses on the way. And from what I can see online this one is all solid state.

nomadh likes this.
  16. fullonshred

100/120V –T630mA Fuse

I can't find this stupid thing anywhere locally. Radio Shacks are non-existent close by and auto places don't seem to carry them either. The last local music shop in existence in this area was a no go as well.

So I am now at the mercy of the USPS via an ebay order. Curses. Like Veruca Salt in Willie Wonka, I want it NOW!

17. fullonshred

The Orange is indeed borked.

Figured out my HT Stage 60 uses same fuse.Took it out of the Blackstar and put into the Orange Crush 20L. Amp is boned. Had all knobs to Zero and Power switch off. Turned on Power switch and had immediate loud Hum and then silence. Predictably the new fuse is popped. All in all I'm not really surprised. Oh well, will probably do cell video of me blasting it to pieces with a 12 gauge or perhaps something a bit more unusual Just to get a little fun out of it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  18. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Where do you live? There may be someone near by who can look at it for you, as there is still a good chance it is a cheap and easy fix. Unfortunately the value is too low to be worth shipping it anywhere.

fullonshred likes this.
  19. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

At the very least the orange chassis is worth a few bucks so dont hurt it.

fullonshred likes this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to let you donate that amp to me, for an electronics repair project, rather than watching you blast it to pieces.
    Last year, I bought a Yamaha keyboard for cheap because it didn't work.
    I mainly bought it for a project. I repaired it that night, after work, and gave it to my son.

fullonshred and Chocol8 like this.