NGD Yet Another Firefly

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by JAMES SCHAFFNER, Jul 13, 2018.

1. JAMES SCHAFFNER

JAMES SCHAFFNER Well-Known Member

20180713_113348.jpg 20180713_113353.jpg 20180713_113358.jpg 20180713_113416.jpg 20180713_113434.jpg Mine came in earlier in the week but I was out of town so didn't get my hands on it until yesterday. I went over it pretty thoroughly and there are a few minor flaws on mine but overall it's great. In the pics below you can see how they were sloppy with the over spray on the binding. That's really the only negative about it though. Sure the pickups aren't great but they're not awful. The tuners are questionable feeling but they are working for now. It's super light, maybe 7 lbs. at most I'm guessing.

Intonation was pretty close and the action is right where I like it. 5/64 low E and 4/64 on high e. No fret buzz but the ends could use a little touching up. Only thing I don't like on the setup is the tail piece is slammed creating a steep break angle that will eventually collapse the cheap bridge. Easy to correct that though. F hole binding looks really good along with the back and neck. Pots work fine but as others have said there is a noticeable volume drop when both pickups are selected.

The most important thing though is it plays great. It's very resonant and sounds good acoustically. The neck is comfy and more importantly it's straight with just enough relief. I am extremely happy with it. This guitar is easily worth much more than the $139 price tag. A few upgrades and it would be a serious player for sure. If the blue ones come back in stock I will buy another for sure.

2. JAMES SCHAFFNER

Ttt

DonM likes this.
  3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Glad you got a good one!
    I would take this plunge if I did not have my Ibby AS73
    I dont love the pickups on that either, even with the A2 magnets, but only because the bridge is way too hot at 16+k. I need to spend more time for a more thorough shakedown.

This has inspired me to play mine when I get home later.

4. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

Looks great! Happy NGD.

5. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Looks great!

Give the fret board a good oiling please.

voodoorat likes this.
  6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree that the bridge pup is WAY to hot, don't know what they were thinking in combo with a neck pup that's a normal wind. I replaced the magnet with an A2 also and as you said its better but I think I'll be looking for somethings else when I get the energy to tackle the job.
    Back to the NGD thread, Congrats!

jtcnj likes this.
  7. JAMES SCHAFFNER

Getting ready to. I think the humidity in my house dropped 10% when I unboxed it. :fearful:

8. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

looks awesome! I may pick one up when the red comes back in stock

9. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

or three! (mine drank up about a pint of oil* but now it feels pretty good). nhgd, glad you got a good one! i think as a group we're batting like 0.750 on these this round.

*slight exaggeration

10. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Firefly the new Harley Benton...

12. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

jtcnj and OMB like this.
  13. notme

notme Well-Known Member

A fix for the out of phase....
    I just read on another forum (squiertalk) that a magnet flip resolves this issue.
    Here is the post:

Toddcaster64 wrote,
    Plan B was change the phase the other way - flip the magnet in the pickup, which given that the wiring appeared correct might have been the actual problem anyway. I’ve taken pickups apart before, so this wasn’t that scary and there are plenty of videos on this that are better than any pix I could take. Hardest part of this is always getting the pickup out of its cover (they are soldered shut). Once that was done, loosen the bobbins, slide out magnet, flip it, slide it back in, retighten and back in its nest.

The interesting thing which may or may not be true is that the magnetic fields rearrange themselves over a few minutes. I had read this, but it struck me about as realistic as the coiled cord versus straight cord joke (just like a football, sound travels better when it spirals LOL). One would think it would be instantaneous. However I have to say, I swear it started out still a bit wonky and then the balance got better and better. Regardless, now it plays wonderfully - perfect in all positions, no having to tweak volumes, no weak spots in the sweep - sounds terrific. Mission accomplished.

14. JAMES SCHAFFNER

Can confirm. I flipped the magnet around on the bridge pickup and all is well. Middle position works as it should now.

Manodano and voodoorat like this.
  15. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Bravo! So how do you like the $140 investment after some time on it...?

16. JAMES SCHAFFNER

I think it's great. It could use some better tuners and the nut needs to be cut a bit lower but it plays and sounds great. The frets are a little flat across the top but it hasn't caused any buzzing issues. I may try and put a better crown on them at some point. It's a stupidly good guitar for $140 shipped.

jtcnj and notme like this.
  17. notme

notme Well-Known Member

PSA, another batch is due to be available again starting tomorrow. Im all qued up to grab a sunburst.

voodoorat likes this.
  18. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

That is very classic! Looks like my Ibanez AM70. HNGD!!

19. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth, I still play mine every day and am still kinda astounded that it was so cheap. Thinking about putting new pickups in now. Hope you wind up with a good one too.

20. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm liking my sunburst Firefly a lot. I played it with my band again this weekend and I really liked it. If you want a semi-hollow 335 type guitar, I'd recommend grabbing one of these. It's really pretty dang good as-is. I bought mine to mod and mess with, and I think it's going to be a great project once I really get into it.

The first thing I did with mine was install some of tvvoodoo's "Well Hung" strap buttons. If you get one of these Fireflys beware of the tiny strap button screws. They'll pull right out on you in short order.

The main thing I've done so far is tweak the truss rod three or four times over the course of a couple of weeks and let it get acclimated to "July in Nashville". I of course raised the pickups and lowered the bridge a little. The set up was pretty good, but I tweaked it and it got a lot better. I still have the stock strings on mine. The fretboard quit turning my fingers black after a week or so.

For me, this "project" finds me on the scrounge for bargain Asian knock-off parts to upgrade my bargain Asian knock-off guitar. I'd like to find a nice heavy bridge and stop bar. I'll replace the knobs with gold top-hats, maybe replace the tuners with some tulips I already have laying around, and probably replace the nut. The pickguard is probably coming off. I'll get around to the pickups sooner or later.

I think the guitar could benefit from a good scotchbriting. However, the back and sides are black, which gives me pause. I''d sure like to bring the sunburst out from under all that poly, though.