Your Backing Track Playback Setup?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by Poodlesrule, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

What is your backing track playback setup?

I cannot recall posts that covered that in detail. I am interested in what did NOT work as well!

I need to work on something for myself.

2. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

I just keep them in a YouTube playlist. Quick and easy....

1) Slow Blues To Play Along With
    2) Favorite Songs To Play Along With
    3) Songs I'll Never Be Able To Play Along To

Aullucci, tlarson58 and fullonshred like this.
  3. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

3) Songs I'll Never Be Able To Play Along To

That pretty much would cover most for me...

tlarson58 likes this.

4. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Thanks PS, I do only No. 3's as well!

Was thinking hardware, not categories, you know, wires and sh&t

5. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Number 3 was a good one and should be my playlist, but it don’t have one. Curious how others do it as well. Good post.

tlarson58 likes this.
  6. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Actually, my computer has pretty decent Bose Speakers and I use Ear Trumpet...so I get a decent playback.

fullonshred likes this.
  7. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

But does it have wires and sh&t? :D

tlarson58 and Perfect Stranger like this.
  8. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

My headphone setup uses an old Tascam USB interface as a cheap (free since I already owned it) mixer. Laptop audio out to the interface over USB, guitar through pedals and Amplifier into inputs one and two (stereo) and then listen with headphones using the interfaces monitor capabilities. This lets me blend the guitar and any sound from Windows and adjust levels on the interface.

I would assume this would work with most recording interfaces or even the cheap mixers. The key for me was a device with amp modeling and decent cab sim (IR’s) so I could listen right on the monitor out, and not have to run the guitar through VST’s or any processing on the laptop. A lot of newer digital amps and any modeler should allow this, but so will some DI boxes or something like the Suhr reactive load with IR and a old school tube amp.

For non headphone use, I can go from the interface to my FRFR instead of the headphones, or I play backing tracks over a stereo (hooked to a tv/roku for YouTube) and run the guitar through a tube amp (I have a few) or the Amplifire and the FRFR. I can also connect the laptop to the stereo if I want to slow down audio or play from a source the Roku can’t handle.

9. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

On the subject of wires and shit:

I usually keep a pair of earbuds near my computer. I have a nicer pair that allows for outside sound with an extra long cord. I pop those in and crank youtube/XM/iTunes through those. Then I plug my studio cans into my Helix/Zoom/laptop running Guitar Rig 5 and put those on over my earbuds/ears. This is the method I use most often because it's easy to get up and going - and I can leave all the wires and shit connected. I don't normally choose my songs, I just start a playlist with a genre I'm familiar with and try to keep up with whatever song plays. No skipping, no stopping, as if it's a live situation. I find that when I dedicate myself to this, I progress much faster.

I also have a small PA sitting in the basement in the hopes that one day, my kids will become re-infatuated with making music. I will sometimes carry my pedal down there and run it through the PA (running direct, a Helix does very well in this regard) and go nuts. If I want a backing track, I'll plug the audio source (normally my cell) into the stereo in on the PA -or- I'll route the cell audio to some bluetooth earbuds I have that work well for allowing me to hear plenty of the backing so I can crank the PA (which is, of course, what a PA is for).

Sometimes, I'll get adventurous and try to play along and sing through the PA all at once. I suck at it, but I think I could do better if I practiced this more. I actually pulled it off live once upon a time. And then I scored four touchdowns in a single game against Johnson High School in the city championship, where "Spare Tire" Dixon could do nothing to stop me.

This next setup is rare - for I usually don't have the need - but I can also just take the mp3 (or whatever) and import it into my DAW where I can manipulate it in any way needed, then simply plug into my DI box (which is Helix, at the moment) and play along. Then I send the signal to whatever monitors I choose, usually my studio cans. This is where I can take the backing and slow it down, pitch change it, etc, etc. If anything sounds good to me, I can hit the record button and the DAW will remember it for me. I sometimes use this method to generate new ideas when I want to write something, but I'm blocked.

These are a few of the many ways to skin this proverbial cat, but it'll be interesting to see what everyone else does. Great forum question!

nomadh likes this.
  10. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a jamvox to play along/practice songs I’m working on. You can slow the song without changing pitch, loop parts, reduce/extract vocals, lead, etc. great practice tool.

11. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

I use a Boss Micro BR 80. It's a small multitrack recorder with a bunch of backing tracks on it (tho I only use a handful). But you can load as many songs as you want on it or just record tracks yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I like to be away from the computer when I practice or play to backing tracks AND perform my songs in front of a mic. I have a Yamaha mixer and my loudbox next to each other. An amp for my electric is on an adjoining wall. The mixer has an input for my mp3 player . I like to transfer files to the player , stand and play. Singing goes into Loudbox which is a great PA. When I do videos I just patch the camera into the mixer.

GuitLoop likes this.
  13. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Active Member

My set ups a bit off the hook but for the most part all PC/laptop and interface generated. Figure once you install the interface drivers you can disable your PC's internal sound card opting for the interfaces sound card and dump all audio to any amplification source you wish. In my case a 800w 8 channel powered mixer, 2x15 stage monitors and some scuffed up but working Sony speaker tower I found on the side road. Yea someone was pissed I'm sure. But that's not to say you couldn't send it to a home entertainment system or even your guitar amp. So long as its an amplified source seeing the interface only puts out a line level signal. Most all my backing tracks are YouTube stuff which show up on my favorites feed when I log in although have other stuff attached to some of my recording software. But to be honest Audiophilia is just another form of GAS. If I really wanted to I could jack that up to about 1800w 12x12 x 4x15 and one speaker tower I found on the side of the road. But I tend to try and stay on good terms with my neighbors. Actually we throw some pretty kick ass block parties and guess whos in charge of providing the sound system.

14. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

One cool little setup I had years ago was a Sansa MP3 player loaded with songs and backing tracks velcroed to my little Vox amplug- I patched in with a short homemade stereo mini plug. It was great for rocking out on my deck in the sunshine, with the earbuds on - compact and highly mobile all over the house actually. Sansa went bad over time, and I never replaced it. But it was great for a couple of years

amplugmod.JPG

stevebway and nomadh like this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Very slick. I've tried to do something like this with my pandora and ipod classic but it's just a bit too clunky. Yours fits so much better. It's why I just end up with an acoustic for portable

16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

Just my computer into a pair of KRK Rokit5 monitors.

stevebway likes this.
  17. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Computer usb to my Katana 100 1/12 then 1/4 phone/rec outlet to my focusrite 2i4, to either my rokit5 monitors or headphones from the 2i4. All my backtracks are from youtube or some I came up with myself and recorded via my DAW which is Reaper. The funny thing is that sometimes I can record backing track's right from youtube to Reaper but mostly it wont work that way, I'm not sure what the setting is to make it do that consistently.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  18. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Here is how I do it:

1) Install Reaper with the ReaRoute ASIO driver. You select this on install when it asks about features.

2) get Voice Meeter Banana, I think $5. Set the A1 hardware out to ReaRoute ASIO.

3) disable the interface as an output device in Windows and set voice meter as default.

4) Set Reaper to use the Focusrite as input and output with ASIO

5) Reaper should see any sounds from your browser or other windows apps on interfaces ReaRoute 1 and 2. Open up a track for them (stereo) and turn on monitoring for that track which should go out to your interface. Setup another track or tracks for the interface’s inputs with monitoring off.

The headphone monitor on the interface should now have both whatever Reaper sends it (track monitoring and playback) plus whatever is plugged into the inputs. Reaper will have both signals as well and can record simultaneously or independently.

nomadh and MichaelR like this.
  19. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

Have separate playlists on my Kindle fire and plug it into my gdec or my boss katana.

20. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

"Alexa, play..."