Your Opinion On An Al Series Double Cutaway Version?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobijohn, Feb 24, 2019.

?

Would you consider buying an Agile AL series double cutaway?

1. Yes, I'd be interested in one...

2. Umm, I don't think so...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

We're on the same page. I was referring to the double cut, carved top version, ala AD-3000m (though with symmetrical harm horns).

Kurt seemed to indicate that he was ready to move forward with a 2TS and Oceanburst (though he didn't see to confirm whether it was the 3200 specs that we asked for, or something else)
    As I read it, there was some ambiguity as to whether the additional colors would be for the first run or some future run.

I was somewhat apprehensive, since the 2TS on the AD-2250 is not my cup of tea. However, the 2TS on the latest AL-3100mcc is great! If that's what we got as a double cut, archtop, neckthru model, it would be a winner.

Chocol8 and tobijohn like this.
  2. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Finishes, electronics and things like body thickness are what make me think there are different factories for different models. For example, the CSBF on the 3100MCC/3200MC is much darker than the one on the AL-31010SE, the pots are all linear on the former (at least they were on the earlier 3100M/MCs) and audio/linear on the latter, pickups are different, body is thicker on the latter. Why would things like that change if the AL models a're all coming out of the same place?

EDIT: Also, the 2TS on the AD-2250 looks exactly like the 2TS on one of my AD-201s. Also, I'm pretty sure that the AD-201s and the AD-2200 Reissue have Switchcraft style toggles while the ALs all have the box type...

3. mighty_duck

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3010SEs and 3100/3200 MCCs come from different factories. But doing a 3200MCC based double cut, I would assume it would come from the same factory that made the Tobacco looking 2TS on the 3100mcc I posted above. Right?

tobijohn likes this.

4. mighty_duck

For reference, here is an AL-3010SE 2TS (me no likey)

[​IMG]

5. tobijohn

I would think so....

6. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

That would be even more hideous on a double cut. No no no!

7. mark_morton

mark_morton Well-Known Member

8. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Logistically speaking, there's a high possibility 3010s are what used to be the 2000s. When market rates went up, he switched out 2000s for 1900 bolt-necks...so the old 2k stepped up a notch.

tobijohn likes this.
  9. Chocol8

Unless the man himself tells us, I don’t think it is safe to assume that 3100’s and 3200’s come from the same factory, or that all batches of any model come from the same factory, or that different batches of the “same” finish will look the same even if it is from the same factory.

If you want a tobacco, you definitely want to ask for tobacco and then keep your fingers crossed. Ordering 2TS and praying that it will be tobacco and not look like most of the 2TS finishes over the years is a much lower probability game.

nomadh and jam like this.
  10. Chocol8

The difference between the pictures 3100 and 3010 2TS could be due to a different factory, or maybe just a different employee working the spray booth that day, or maybe Rondo accidentally posted a picture of a tobacco burst instead of a 2TS. Rondo has had a long history of both wide variation in finishes and guitars not looking much like the picture on the website.

That is one of the reasons I would suggest a non burst finish. They tend to be more consistent.

11. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Well-Known Member

I would be a fan of some non-burst options, not just on a double cut model but for the Rondo inventory in general. I would 100% buy an "endorsement green" AL in an instant, in the unlikely event one is ever offered in left handed. Come to think of it, I can't recall Rondo ever having any green left handed guitars in the 12 or so years I've been a customer.

As far as the double cut goes, count me in for any variation of green, wine red, or blue. I don't care if it's flame, quilt, tribal, etc. I would prefer a natural back, but I could go either way.

mighty_duck and PsychoCid like this.
  12. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Have there been any endorsement green lefties at all??

13. mighty_duck

Looks like Kurt isn't asking us, but moving forward with a 2TS. I was initially disappointed, but all examples I've seen of 3100mcc or 3200mcc are closer to tobacco, so there's reason for optimism. Here's a 3200mcc 2TS

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    jam, jtcnj and kirobhan like this.
  14. Chocol8

That looks like a rondo picture. Has anyone bought one recently so we can see what they really look like?

Gergo and mighty_duck like this.
  15. tobijohn

FWIW, The CSBF finishes on the new style (thinner, G&B pickups, etc) AL-3100M/MC/MCC and 3200M/MC/MCC since they were introduced four years ago have been consistently much darker than the CSBF AL-30101SEs over the same period with the exception of the small run of MIV 3100MCCs with three piece necks. That's why I think those models come from different places. I think Kurt's copy and paste inaccuracies and Rondo's long history of non-representative product listing photos are a real concern in trying to determine what these finishes really look like...

honyock and Chocol8 like this.
  16. tobijohn

There have been a few but not many. I've got a AL-2800 Uniform that I swapped out the stock black hardware for gold on, a green quilt AL-3010SE, a blueish-green AL-2500 and a dark teal AL-3010SE I don't currently have any pics of:

s-l1600.jpg P3210007.JPG P1030135.JPG

nomadh and PsychoCid like this.
  17. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

my very first Agile was green (old AL2500) d6f6f8430919be96f4a255eb93e42c93.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Partscaster and PsychoCid like this.
  18. tobijohn

UPDATE (from Kurt this morning). I guess oceanburst is a crap shoot for him too:

"Ha,
    As for oceanburst - ha ! We will not know until we receive it in as to how it will look. We can do any color you like, just need an accurate and high quality image. There is no official color catalog."

The scary thing here is that if he doesn't know what oceanburst is going to look like until he gets it, what about any other color we might request?

EDIT: In my reply, I asked him that then if that was the case, how did he know what any other finish would look like until it actually got here?

mighty_duck and PsychoCid like this.
  19. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

That looks exactly like the Ice Tea. IMO.
    Disappointingly , rondo seems to mix the pics, for example, having a CSBF pic showing for a guitar labelled as 2tsb, or other.

IE, this 2tsb's last picture, the diaganol one, must be of a csbf or iced tea.
    https://www.rondomusic.com/al3100mcc2ts.html

20. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

I think he means the factories don't share what they use to create any particular color. The one sure way to do it is with a calibrated monitor and a ansi or ascii color chart . aslong as the factory is using a calibrated monitor and the should for color work and the same color chart they can duplicate the colors. Anything else and it's guesswork on what you get. Example my avatar is my oceanburst al3100 made in vietnam @tobijohn can verify the are turquiosey in nature with a dark greenish back. It looks light blue to aquamarine on my laptop.

tobijohn likes this.