Your Opinion On An Al Series Double Cutaway Version?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobijohn, Feb 24, 2019.

?

Would you consider buying an Agile AL series double cutaway?

1. Yes, I'd be interested in one...

2. Umm, I don't think so...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I don’t think the color is the issue as much as how the burst is done. I know I am getting repetitive, but I think any burst finish is a huge gamble whereas an even color is more likely to match or be close to the requested color.

The problems with many of the bursts are in how much dark goes on the outside, how dark the light is on the inside, where is the boundary, how wide is the transition and how well is it blended. All those things are in the paint booth, after the colors have been selected.

Now excuse me while I go find a soap box that can support my weight so I can keep shouting “NO BURSTS” until the men in white coats come and take me away...again.

tobijohn likes this.
  2. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

So, common sense will dictate that is preferably to avoid asking for very specific/unique finishes, that if not represented well will turn into any other tone not exactly to customers (you) liking? Oceanburst would seem to fall into that category. Tobacco/2ts/*maybe*Ice Tea should look ok even if not done properly, for example (I think).

And yes, we can all perceive a different finish (some variation) of the same guitar according to our PC monitors, room lightning, etc.

3. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Those all look nice. I'm betting no nat color backs though.

4. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I figured there had to be some sort of standardized system so everyone was on the same page...

5. tobijohn

I'm thinking that if Kurt isn't sure what the finish is going to look like until it arrives, to play it safe perhaps we should just pick three or four finishes from the 3100MCC/3200MCCs that are already in stock. Even though that's not a sure thing because of Kurt's erratic copy and pasting, at least the odds are a little better of getting something that actually looks somewhat like the listing pic.

As for tops, I see almost all of the in stock items seem to be flamed. Can we live with flame or are we sick to death of it?

6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1

7. Chocol8

If that is all he can do, I can live with flame. Especially since I currently don’t own any flame top guitars! How did that happen?

8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Anyone clamoring for seafoam green?
    f8d9d4f04c01fa1e1fb3d8b4cae69069.jpg
    And what could possibly match a seafoam front but .............
    9e36e67f668e0d422e3f0c86f017aedc.jpg
    ANOTHER RED BACKWASH BACK!

jam likes this.
  9. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Current stock is pretty slim though...

I love flame. There are also a couple of plain tops in stock:
    https://www.rondomusic.com/product9404.html
    https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-3200MCC_Tobacco_Wide_LH.html

But if we're getting more than one, we should also ask for at least 1 or two quilts/spalts/plain.

10. mighty_duck

nomadh, Chocol8, jam and 1 other person like this.
  11. jam

jam Well-Known Member

I liked, but only half. Front half.

nomadh and ID10T like this.
  12. Chocol8

I would do that green with a natural or mahogany back. It is flame but not burst so that is a big plus!

Oh and the second one mighty duck posted.

nomadh likes this.
  13. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

I know it may be a radical idea, but something that just has a plain maple top without any sort of burst and stained walnut , or similar would be nice. Most importantly.....no abalone and no veneer.

14. tobijohn

UPDATE (from Kurt earlier this AM):

"We generally do not know EXACTLY what it will look like until it's received. Very common colors like 2TS or CSBF typically come in about the same and of course colors like black or white - Colors like Oceanburst or even HSBF vary quite a bit. It's part of the problem of not owning your own factory. However, one good thing, some of our most popular colors - have been created "by mistake" when the factory make an unanticipated change to a color and yes as you noticed there are differences between the factories used for the 3010 and 3100/3200."

nomadh likes this.
  15. tobijohn

UPDATE:

I had mentioned in my reply to the above that I had suggested that on any initial run, for the sake of consistency, color selections be limited to the ones offered on 3100MCC/3200MCCs currently in stock or that have been the past few months. I also asked about tops other than flame and received this reply:

"Well flame and quilt should be no problem - Spalted can be done, but each tree is very different - so the spalting pattern will vary greatly from guitar to guitar and shooting a seperate photos and posted on the web page ads costs. So unless people don't care about the pattern (not likely) spalted is not a good option."

A few minutes later, I received this message:

"BTW we are at the point in production now where any new models / colors we decide on will not be in until 2020..."

I told him that at this point, I assumed nothing would be in stock until the spring of 2020...

mighty_duck and kirobhan like this.
  16. Chocol8

Personally, I am willing to roll the dice on a spalted natural finish more so than a 2TS or Ocean Burst but I can see why he would be wary of ordering a batch.

The green flame with natural back is growing on me.

kirobhan and nomadh like this.
  17. tobijohn

Honestly, as bored as we all are with most of them, I think the best thing to do is to have him stick with finishes and tops that have done well in the recent past for any initial (and limited) run. I think this will give the design a better chance of selling well and quickly. If that turns out to be the case, then I think Kurt will be much more open to more eclectic and esoteric combinations on future re-stockings...

Also, I sent a subsequent email asking about natural backs and sides as well as plain tops because he had not addressed the same questions in earlier emails...

nomadh likes this.
  18. Chocol8

Silly question, but do we/Kurt see this as a big selling regular model, or maybe just a special order type of thing?

Maybe we do some sort of semi-custom batch order for the people here who are interested and he can tack on a few more to see how well they sell with the general public? That would cut down on his overall risk and investment and maybe open up the finish options a little (but still within the recent agile history).

If we hold out because we are sick of CSBF and want a better finish from batch 2, there won’t be a batch 2.

Just a thought.

19. tobijohn

That is not a bad idea and I will definitely suggest to him it's something that he should consider. I seem to recall though that one of the primary reasons he closed down the custom shop was because of numerous complaints about the finishes not meeting the expectations of the buyers. I know my personal experience with the finishes on the two Custom Selects that I ordered last year was a little disappointing (purple burst quilt/CSBF plain top) although the build quality on both guitars was excellent...

Chocol8 likes this.
  20. mighty_duck

Thanks for the updates!
    Seems to confirm a lot of what we have been saying, including that 3100 and 3200 are from the same factory (so we can expect similar finishes).
    As a buyer, this makes me sad. But as business owner, this makes a lot of sense. I wonder if there is any way we can mitigate this risk for him? (eg accept a higher price, waive returns on ugly tops,etc)

Left in the air - did he manage to get an order in for the 2tS and Oceanburst AL doublecut?

More time isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather have that than the rushed nature of the ad-2250 leading to a strange compromise no one is crazy about.