ZOOM G3 MultiFunction Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by tonray, Feb 26, 2014.

1. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Made a post last week about it.I think they're the same effects as in all their devices

2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

A little update on the Zoom G3 multi pedal:

I have been ampless since I sold the Mustang II and as usual scouring Craigslist for an opportunity, in the meantime I have been playing the Zoom thru an old Aiwa stereo system (this is when they were still made in Japan)...now the speakers obviously are not designed for guitar reprodction...and there is some occasional clipping because of that...but man oh man....the zoom even sounds great thru an old stereo...I am thinking maybe looking for a used monitor or Keyboard amp...something very clean instead of a guitar amp for this one.

3. Forecaster

Forecaster Active Member

I've said this a few times in posts. The best tone I ever get is my Zoom G2 straight to PA.

4. stevebway

I think its interesting how in this age of boutique pedals there's something like this that excels in all areas, price, versatility,programability ,layout and sound.

It's a freak of nature.

5. tonray

As I said in the review...it has only one weakness and that is the inability to link drum rhythms with patches so the pattern becomes just another effect that would be foot switchable...if they can do that (can't be that hard....they will have it all).

I think their new effect emulations and amp/cab stuff is really the best I have played with in awhile, I have not fooled with the POD newer stuff but it beats the digitech and boss multifunction stuff for sure

6. keeffan

keeffan Well-Known Member

I picked up an open box Zoom MS100 from the samash ebay store for $99. Should come in today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tonray

Cool...I think the effects are the same across their line ...you should love it

stevebway likes this.
  8. stevebway

I LOVE mine and use it every week.The only weakness ( if you can call it that) is that while infinite chains can be created ,it's not versatile to step through different chains although you can set it up for A gig and click it after every song. I tweak mine hooked up to a DAW so I can see the level each effect is producing and how it interacts with the one after so I can maintain consistent levels to present to PAs, amps, boards etc.This allows the preamp ,compressor and amp sims to work in the optimum part of their ranges and not be over or under driven. Even though each effect may have minimal buttons and knobs,they are so well thought out .They are still available at SAM Ash.I picked up another just to have a spare I am using them so much.
    My R8 uses these same effects so it feels so at home when I'm using it.I bring this to different sessions at people's houses and home studios and they are quite amazed .These are old school musicians, not particularly into pedals even and are very suspicious of modern technology.

9. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

You might consider the Pod HD (bean). LOTS smaller and easier to cart around, use on a desk, etc. I've got both the shortboard and the FBV Express as foot pedals for it. The Express, frankly, is pretty usable for most of the switching that I use, and when used live, the Pod can live on one of its little 45 degree holders in the backline OR mounted on a mike stand (but UP, where you can see what's going on). The Express has four bank switches, tap tempo, a tuner display, an expression pedal and a much smaller form factor than the HD500.

10. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I got one from our own Timwood (great guy) but I have barely used it. I have hit a spell where I cannot be assed with trying to figure out menus etc. unless the are stupid obvious/simple. I know I need to read the manual. I can't be bothered with that right now either.

I want something similar (and cheap) that at the least has Volume and Tone KNOBS on it, for super fast adjustment on the fly, and so simple a two year old can use it properly. I have yet to bring up the drum tracks with my minimal fiddling with this thing.

So far, I have mostly used it with headphones as a "small travel amp".

11. tonray

I just watched a couple of youtube demo vids and everything after that was pretty simple. I would not give up on it..takes all of about 10 minutes to figure out. I really did not need all the effects or models but wanted a looper and for the same price as a decent looper I got looper and multi-effects so it was a no brainer.

fullonshred likes this.
  12. fullonshred

I am definitely the main problem here, not the unit. : )

If it isn't a lot of trouble, could you link the better YT demos you watched? Thanks if you can, no problem if it is too much bother. I am in a "too much bother" mood right now so I understand about that stuff.

I get in these moods. It will pass. I kinda sorta want to eventually start some recordings and this could be a good tool to help with that.

13. tonray

Here is a decent one from GearWire:

It also should be noted with the latest firmware you can have up to six effects / amps models in any one patch as opposed to the 3 this guy is showing.

fullonshred likes this.
  14. Luke137

Luke137 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

15. fullonshred

Luke, I am a black hole sun where equipment is concerned..... Gear comes in, but almost never goes back out. If I ever do decide to sell it you will be the first to know.

Heck, I need to figure out what I can do with it before I even consider letting it go. : )