Zoom Multi-effects Pedals Editing/control Software

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by WC286, Jul 10, 2018.

1. WC286

WC286 Active Member

I have the low end ZOOM G1on and B1on multi-effects pedals for my small home studio. I have always liked the sound these pedals can create with patches through my home monitors, small amps on clean settings and headphones. Nice sounds for practice but a little hard to edit with the small screen and control knobs. The usb port on these two pedals was only good for updating the firmware and powering the pedal. A couple of years back someone designed a small app (ZoomLib (http://www.zoompatches.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.0) to allow for backing up the patches and adding new ones, not really an editing platform. Works ok but it is basic.

Tonight I was browsing around and discovered that there is a free editing app for the two Zoom pedals I own and several of their other multi-effects pedals. Called ToneLib it works on Windows or Mac and allows full editing of each patch in a nice visual interface. The developer seems to still be working on it and is responsive to users in the forum on the site. I have tried it tonight on both pedals and it works great for me...On my Win10 laptop I just plug in the usb cable from the pedal, start the app and whoopee, I can see all the patches along with their details and can control them in real time while using the pedal for practice. My old eyes are saved.

You can backup, use the tuner and various other functions in a flash. I did have to update the firmware on the B1on (easy to do, https://zoom.co.jp/support-and-downloads) and now I can have fun...I don't know how long this app has been available but here is the link for anyone who doesn't already have it...https://tonelib.net/ You still can't use these pedals as a recording interface but who knows what someone might come up with. There is a list of compatible ZOOM pedals on the home page...:sunglasses:

[​IMG]

2. WC286

WC286 Active Member

3. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Nice, that's the one thing I hate about my G3XN, the software is so not user friendly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WC286 and DonM like this.

4. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Oh man, I wish this supported my G9.2tt. I'm currently maining/exploring my Helix, but I still love my Zoom!

WC286 likes this.
  5. WC286

WC286 Active Member

This has really improved the usability of my cheapo $50 pedals...I was using them before but it was frustrating to change anything with the small poorly lit interface...:guitar:

6. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

Nice! Lot better than the software for the G3N.

WC286 likes this.
  7. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I have a G1on and a G3. I’ll have to look for it, but there’s a site where people loaded effects they custom made for Zooms and you can download them. I never made my own, but would check out those that others made. As long as you realize that you get what you pay for, it’s not bad. A lot of junk but some good ones too.

I’ll have to check Tonelib out. I didn’t realize there was something you can do with the G1on. I thought you were just stuck with the 40 or so that came with it.

WC286 likes this.
  8. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Thanks for posting . This is great.

WC286 likes this.
  9. WC286

WC286 Active Member

There is a section for patches on the ToneLib site:
    https://tonelib.net/forums/categories/the-patch-library.5/
    https://tonelib.net/forums/pages/how_to_use_the_patch_sharing_service/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    DonM likes this.
  10. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I'm a fan of the zoom pedals too. I have the G1Xon and a B1Xon and also a MS70CDR.

With the G1Xon and B1Xon be careful with the USB connection - it's not the strongest and can easily snap off the PCB - this happened to my B1Xon (luckily I had already updated the firmware).

WC286 likes this.
  11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting! I have a G1On that I really don't use. It was confusing for me coz I wasn't sure if it should be plugged into the front of my amp or into the return or PA in. I actually use a Boss GT-1 and I just have the G1On as a back up just in case.

I'd like to try that app soon.

WC286 likes this.
  12. WC286

WC286 Active Member

The G1on (and I'm guessing the other supported ZOOM pedals) give you a setting to change the amp model output from line out, to combo amp front and a couple of other options. It is one of those settings that is hard to find on the little screen on the pedal but much easier to see on a pc screen with ToneLib...It is under the actual amp model in each patch, usually the very last setting...I don't care for some of the patches into the front of my amp even with the correct setting so your mileage may vary, I usually practice with the G1on set in line out mode plugged into a Behringer mini mixer to my desktop monitors, sounds good for me at home.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    stevebway, littlebadboy and Kraftwerk like this.
  13. XxRingoxX

XxRingoxX Member

Nice find! Going to play around with this tonight.

WC286 likes this.
  14. littlebadboy

Thanks WC286!

WC286 likes this.
  15. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

Thanks! I have a G1Xon and this is super helpful. I've used ZoomLib to install some custom patches but this interface is much better for tweaking rather than just downloading and installing.

WC286 likes this.
  16. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

WC286 likes this.
  17. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk Active Member

Thanks for the info on tonelib, I got a ms-50g on the way.

WC286 likes this.
  18. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk Active Member

FYI for any interested, the ms50g i just got from sweetwater comes with v3.0 firmware already installed. Running a cheap HP with an old, stripped down version of windows 7 (32 bit), due to windows 10 taking up all of 32gb ssd, didnt even need to install drivers, and windows update is disabled/removed.

fullonshred and WC286 like this.
  19. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I got the MS50G years ago right when it came out. I needed an effects chain for a gig and it seemed perfect. I bought it for $99 on the way to my gig, programmed it on the subway going there and blew people away because they heard giant sound coming from something looking like a single pedal. I haven't used the library program in a while but I've checked out some of the newer effects that came out a couple years later. Since then I've gotten the R8 recorder which uses the same FX and the A3 also which has now gone into legacy ( banishment). I think Zoom has conceptualized packaging to a respectable degree. I expect a new generation of stuff is right on the horizon. I will be attending AES and IMSTA in the next 2 months and hope Zoom has a rep there.

WC286 and Kraftwerk like this.
  20. littlebadboy

When I plug in my G1On, it doesn't do ananything.